Educational projects with popsicle sticks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 5, 2011

I have a HUGE amount of popsicle sticks available for use during summer school. Does anyone have any educational projects that they could be used for?? I wanted to do some kind of bridge building challenge, but I can't find any bridge building directions for grades 3-5 (everything seems to be for kids somewhat older). I'm open to any ideas...those that take up a lot of time are preferred! ha ha

3. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 5, 2011

Hmmm...3D geometric shapes?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2011

Making a bridge with popsicle sticks and clay or playdough. Then try to see which bridges can hold the most weight.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 5, 2011

Around 4th of July you can make flags. Paint them and glue on little wooden stars.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 5, 2011

I have a game that uses sticks.

Glue 5 beans onto a lot of sticks. Take five sticks and glue them onto two unbeaned sticks to form a "raft." Have the children roll a di, and take that many beans. When they have 5 beans, they can trade them for a stick with 5 beans on it. when they have 5 sticks, they can trade for a raft with 25 beans and they win the game.

7. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jun 6, 2011

Jewellry boxes with lids. Kids glue sticks side by side on a piece of paper (forms the base and lid) and then build the box up from there. You can make the box as tall or small as you like depending on how many sticks you have. I did this last year as I had sooooo many sticks, however, it actually used more than I had anticipated and I ended up scrounging sticks from other teachers!

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

Use foil and popsicle sticks to see what boat design can hold the most weight! This is our beginning of the year science experiment, and my 3rd graders love it...

9. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 6, 2011

boats, catupults, towers and bridges are some ideas of things that can be made out of posicle sticks.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2011

Somewhat OT, but since bridges have been mentioned, http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/ has a great little free bit of software from the US military academy -- a computerized bridge designer. It's nominally for a contest open to kids 13 and up, but my 10-year old loves the program and even my 8-year old (who's a bit prone to ideas that aren't strictly rational :love:) enjoyed it.

Basically you design the bridge with varying materials, based on templates, and the program calculates cost. You can test it at any time, which creates a little animation of a truck either successfully crossing the bridge (with the beams changing color to indicate how much stress they're under), or dropping into the river below. It's not spectacular graphics-wise, but is still a lot of fun.