Educational music for preschoolers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Aug 19, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 19, 2006

I have a lot of CDs with the traditional songs on them (i.e., Wheels of the Bus, Happy and You Know It, etc.) but I would like to find some CDs that are strictly educational like days of the week, colors, shapes, months, etc. -- I've nosed around the net for awhile and I'm not having any luck. Can anyone suggest a few good ones?

Thanks in advance!

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 19, 2006

Well I just found "Kids We Are The Future" by Timmy Wells... but it spells everything out and that gets a bit annoying (listened to tidbits on iTunes)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. At least I found ONE!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

Dr. Jean, Greg and Steve, Hap Palmer

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

6. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

Yes, definitely anything by dr jean!!! She is great with educational songs and they are fun too. Preschoolers love her music!!

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 19, 2006

You just have to hope they learn it fast enough so you don't have to hear her voice! I am sorry but her voice DRIVES ME NUTS--
    Still she does "Days Of The Week" (Adams family), the Macarena Months... and well lets not forget the "TOOTY TAA--" FOR DIRECTIONS-- I think ALL of these are on Dr. Jean and Friends... (the name of CD)

8. mrod

mrod Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Al is also very good.

9. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Mmmm that's what I'm most worried about. Why is it that it's always the people who can't sing that make the kids music? :D

Seriously, as long as it teaches them and they enjoy it. I'll check out Dr. Jean since so many of you recommend her.

Thanks!

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 20, 2006

Greg and Steve's Playing Favorites also has some "favorites" of ours. We also like one of Jim Gill's CD's... I am not sure of the name but it is yellow and has "I'm so mad" and the "Silly Dance Contest" on it.

11. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Aug 21, 2006

I like Greg and Steve, and Jim Gill. Our coordinators bought us a whole bunch of Mr. Al... But we hate it. The Learning Station is alright, too.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Me too! That's why hopefully the kids will drown out her very annoying nasally voice!!!!! hehehe!:p

13. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 21, 2006

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Our preschool had a few Dr. Jean CD's on hand, she is very nasally. Whew. But good songs, so I grabbed a couple of those and I also found a guy named "Mr. Ray" that is wonderful!!!!!!!! He can actually sing. LOL! Give him a try, I found him on iTunes.

14. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Record your students singing along to drown out the annoying voice!

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2006

I use the Sing Spell Read and Write CD for preschool, just without the textbooks that go along with it...(the books are for K and 1)

16. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

Does everything have to be so academic?

Why not put in some classical music and let them learn deeper things than colors and shapes, which they will inevitably learn eventually..

I always catch kids discussing what the music reminds them of.. "this makes me think of tom and jerry," "this sounds like a little girl is running away and she is sad," ..when I put the music on during free play, lots of great skills learned!

17. imashortcake

imashortcake Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

ARe there any good websites that you can go to to listen to some of the songs before you buy the CD? I always hate buying a CD before I can listen to at least a few of the songs. I noticed that someone said itunes, but I don't even know how to use that (I guess I better go ask my teenager, HAHA).

18. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 24, 2006

imashortcake.... yes, iTunes is definitely the best for sampling. Just go to itunes.com and then click on "discover music" (bottom middle) and then download the program. Once you get online go to the "music store" and do a search (top right) for a song, artist or cd title... then you can double click the song to preview it.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2006

James Taylor does some children's music and he has a beautiful, soft voice. I need to research and find out if he does a whole CD of childrens. I only have a few...Getting To Know You is one...You've Got A Friend...I refuse to listen to those awful singers like Dr. Jean...you might as well stick me with needles as to listen to some of those women singers. The kids just get worked up by voices like that. I sing the songs with them, very softly and they learn them that way.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2006

Hap Palmer is wonderful. I also look at some of the "popular" TV shows like Sesame Street. Sometimes they have a great song for just the right activity.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2006

I agree Grammy! In fact, I refuse to buy a Dr. Jean cd........I'd rather be stuck with needles as well! I only mentioned her because I know she is a favorite among many EC teachers! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE James Taylor. If he has a children's cd out, I will buy it tomorrow!

22. TaimyBHdez

TaimyBHdez Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

Check on soundprints.com
    You may find something.