Educational Gifts for Kids

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dxiechicken41, Nov 4, 2008.

1. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

I had a parent ask me today for a list of educational games/toys that she and her husband could use when Christmas shopping for their kids...I had no idea (I don't have kids of my own). Does anyone do anything like this, or have a list that I could copy?
    "Dear Parents, as the holiday season approaches, here are some educational gift ideas for your kids?" Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2008

Well, for starters, you could always forward a list of books you think the kids will like.

Anything that requires them to "think outside the box" is good-- from jigsaw puzzles to soduko books to K'nex. (They have some for older kids in the $50-$100 range. Our baby sitter asked for it one year after playing with my kids' kiddie sets. I think hers was a ferris wheel.)

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I have a theme of getting my littler sister something educational for xmas every year. Usually its a science kit of some sort that she and my dad can do in the kitchen. Amazon and toys r us is good for finding things like that at age appropriate levels. My sister (now 9) has always preferred something that she had keep or use for example the Spa Kit or the Carnivorous Plants

There are TONS of educational gifts under $30.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 4, 2008

Apples to Apples and Cranium are good thinking games (and a lot of fun.) I'd list some books that I've seen other kids enjoy. I don't know who makes them, but I have also seen kits for building models of different landmarks out of miniature bricks and mortar. I remember the Alamo, the Colesium, the Great Wall of China, and some government/political memorials.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 4, 2008

http://www.mugginsmath.com/
    Muggins is an awesome math game that can be used at a variety of skill levels and encourages thinking/strategy skills to. (I love this game if you can't tell)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2008

Analog watches

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2008

The mindware catalog is an awesome place for educational toys and games. I do most of my shopping for my kids there.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2008

YES!!!!!

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 5, 2008

A catalog came in the mail the other day - Hearthsong. It had the coolest toys in it. Engaging, educational toys, etc. The website is www.hearthsong.com .