Educational Game Idea...Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Michael S., Jun 4, 2008.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Jun 4, 2008

I was thinking about creating file folder type games for the afterschool program I work at. However, I think it will be very expensive to pay for the laminating of them. Instead, I was thinking about purchasing some of that heavier-weighted paper that is used for resumes (in colors if they have it...I already have gray) and such and going ahead and designing the game on an 8.5 x 11 inch page, laminating it, hole punching, and placing them in a binder (Labeling/Categorizing them so I can label the pieces and put them all in a container too).

Think this is a good idea?

I am thinking of this because as summer comes up fall will be around the corner, and I would like them to have educational games to play while some work on homework. We don't always have enough of board games for the kids to all play. This way they can play individually or as a group and allow the others to concentrate on homework. I am mainly with the PreK-K kids, but my group could change so I might make it up to grade 3 or so.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

It sounds like a good idea but I would use cardstock rather than resume paper. Go to Michaels or Joanne and use the 40% off coupon. You can probably get a whole multicolored pack for about $3.00.

I do still like the ideas of the file folders better. You could still punch holes in them and put in a binder. What part do you feel will be expensive? Do you have access to a laminator?

If you have a Mardel Christian and Education (teacher) store near you, you can use their laminator and it is only 25 cents a foot. It's pretty wide too so you could laminate a whole folder game for 25 cents.

4. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Jun 4, 2008

No, I don't have access to a laminator so I was going to go to Staples and it would be cheaper to laminate a sheet as opposed to a file folder. I was considering buying one, but the cheap ones for the most part either have bad reviews or they won't work for a file folder anyway.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

You could tell the people at Staples that this is for an after-school program and they might be able to give you a discount.

6. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Good idea. If I make a binder I was thinking about making a lot of them like 100 or so (which would be expensive, especially since I would probably pay out of my money or money I earn from a child care credential program I applied for). I was thinking of using contact paper, but it is really hard to use and isn't the most efficient method.

7. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Heh, I just went to Staples and they said about $2/sheet so yeah I guess I will be making them more group based (especially for the older kids) and decided that I will add onto the sheets that even grades 6-8 can play, but most likely they will be the same games that 3-5 can play. Ugh, guess I have a lot of work cut out for myself. O well, I hope it will make things a bit more organized next year. Now it is chaos with helping kids with homework and all. I am only an assistant group leader (Mainly because I am only 18 and can be a group leader when I'm 19), but take on the role of a group leader besides the fact that I am not allowed to be by myself with the kids unless a group leader or director is in close proximity. O, but I can call myself a teachers assistant now I think because Maryland's Dept. of Education just changed the titles (Like it really matters).

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 4, 2008

Could you slip them into page protectors? Maybe tape the top so they don't fall out when they are taken out of the binder?

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 4, 2008

When I was a student and really low on cash, I took a roll of clear packing tape and "laminated" some stuff by using strips of tape. We used to do this with book covers in high school also. It is labor intensive, but works pretty good.

10. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Jun 4, 2008