Education Philosophy Critique, please!

Discussion in 'College' started by Mrs.Husakovic, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

I'm about to send out my application for Grad school-MAT program. Could you guys please critique my Philosophy of Education statement that I have just written? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

My Philosophy of Education

There is no such thing as a student who is not the "learning type". Every student can learn and will learn when the right door is opened. As teachers, it is our job to find the right door. I believe that a good teacher mush have a powerful faith in the future. Elementary education is the foundation to life long learning. Young children are the beginning and everything and everyone has to start from the beginning. I have had some not so great teachers and I do not want to be one of them! I've also had some terrific teachers who have actually inspired me to become a teacher myself. I want to be a teacher who plants a seed of knowledge that grows forever.

I know that students do not all learn in the same way or at the same rate. I believe it is my responsibility as a teacher to be an effective diagnostician of students interest, abilities and prior knowledge. I must then plan lessons that will both challenge and allow every student to think and grow. Therefore group work is key to having a successful class and is something I value especially with younger students. I want my future students to have freedom that allows for expression and creativity. It is important not only to help students that you are teaching but to motivate them to help each other and work together.

In my future teaching career I plan to make expectations and requirements explicit through assignments and rubrics that are provided for each project/assignment. I will also make available examples of what accomplished work from past students looks like. By doing this I will make it possible for everyone to have access to images of quality work to guide their own. Doing this levels the playing field so that no matter what students past learning experiences have been they all know what the characteristics of good work are so that they know what to include in their own work.

As a prospective educator, I believe my philosophy and teaching style may change throughout my teaching career and I want to remain receptive to suggestions and open for improvement.

3. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 15, 2015

Since no one answered yet, I'll just say I liked how your educational philosophy sounds, however, I'm not an expert at this sort of things. I usually need help myself for these formal writings

what degree are you planning to pursue, just curious?

4. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 15, 2015

Masters of teaching in Elem
    ED

5. MsTeacherLady

MsTeacherLady New Member

Mar 21, 2015

I completely agree with your teaching philosophy, though I worry that today class sizes are becoming far too large for a single rubric to work for all students. I find that students need to be taught how to learn rather than how to get A's.