Education pay scale

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 29, 2006

Thankfully, teacher salaries have been going up in many places over the past few years. The average teacher salary in my town in 1999 was $37,000 and in 2005 it was $54,000. Granted, they may have more teachers now that have been teaching longer which would raise the average, but it has definitely gone up significantly.
    The thing that gets me, though, is that the starting salary for teachers in my area is roughly $30,000 or so and my fiance makes more than that in an entry level designer position with no degree. When you look at it that way, it seems as though society does not recognize our worth, but it does appear that people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee! ;)

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 29, 2006

I was just talking about this today because I am considering going back to school to finish my Masters degree. But our in our District the salary earned by someone on that level is less than $1,000 increase a year. I would spend probably at least triple that between courses, books, etc. I mean I would like to do it for the professional development value in it, but I think you would have many more teachers complete such a program if it meant being compensated for it. Our District is raising our salaries this year, starting salary will be close to $40,000 but they are doing it so they can stay "competitive" in attracting quality teachers not necessarily because we deserve it.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 29, 2006

I have a really good job in my area thank you. I think it's really rude to post an opinion on a teacher's forum to elicit what I can only assume is some sort of promotional gimmick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.