Education as a profit center

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AmyMyNamey, Jan 20, 2018.

1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 20, 2018

Ohio legislators accepted contributions in return for favorable regulations and lack of oversight, while Ohio's largest online charter school siphoned millions away from disintegrating public schools and charged taxpayers tens of millions for students who did not exist.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...gest-charter-school-experiment-just-imploded/

The take away is that we have legislators perfectly willing to destroy this nation so long as their campaigns are backed, tax dollars are stolen, and someone gets rich.

After reading the article, one must wonder why no one is in prison or expelled from public office over this mess.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2018

I left that school over a year ago and I wish there was a way for the state to reclaim the money from Lager's personal bank account. So many of my friends are now scrambling to find work, and THOUSANDS of students who were trying to get an education without playing the attendance game are now without a school.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2018

What do you call it when legislators accept money from teacher's unions then?

The LA Times, not exactly a bastion of conservative thought, calls the CTA California's 4th branch of government because of how much it's money determines politics.

5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 20, 2018

WOW! You were actually there! That had to to have been tough! My hat is off to you.

One thing that really struck me, that really saddened me, was the description of when ECOT dragged its teachers into that Doubletree hotel and had to "verify" attendance records, basically coercing decent, normal people to take an active part in the overarching fraud. That's a special kind of evil deserving it's own circle of Hell. I hope Lager gets his comeuppance, along with the legislators who enabled him.

I can understand providing a system for kids the regular school structure cannot support, but every time we connect profit with public service, society is betrayed. People cannot put others first where there is money to be made. The motivation behind social reform has to remain pure, has to be focused on service to mankind, and money has a way of corrupting everything it comes in contact with.

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2018

Those attendance verification meetings were annual mandatory things referred to as Signing Day. I remember the one detailed in the article because it was my first year. The way it was explained to me was that we had to offer the hours of education and it was out of our hands whether the student took them. We weren't complicit in any kind of fraud, but told that this was the the legal attendance agreement. When I started to hear this definition was being challenged, then refuted, was when I made the decision to leave.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 21, 2018

Isn’t every area of government motivated by money? Otherwise it would be run by volunteers.

I look at something like the DMV. The only reason this system hasn’t improved is because it’s run by the government and employees are not expected to do better. If it was easier to remove bad employees, the entity itself would improve. Instead, eventually these will be privatized for profit too.

This is what has happened with schools. I do not believe it is right, or that it should happen, but this is the reason it happens. If there isn’t a need, nothing will come along to fill it.

From a campaign finance perspective, I don’t know of a politician that doesn’t take contributions and that will never end because they are in charge of it. Let’s leave the politics out of it though or thread will go down.