Educate VA - Work Experience "Pre Bachelors"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swhenry, May 19, 2022.

1. swhenry

swhenry New Member

May 19, 2022

Hello all,

This is quite the specific question but maybe someone can help.
    I'm looking to be a teacher in the state of Virginia and found the Educate VA program. Everything looks good on my end except one statement on the website that claims I need "three or more years of post-baccalaureate work experience" to be eligible. If anyone here has experience applying to this program, I would like to know your opinion about how strict this requirement is.

Basically, I went straight into a full time career right after high school (meaning I have way more than three years of pre-baccalaureate work experience) but later decided to go to college and get a bachelor's degree. I finally graduated, and have done some substitute teaching since, but I'm nowhere near having three years "post bachelors" experience. However, I'm now in my thirties and simply want to become a certified teacher as quickly as possible.

In your opinion, do you think Educate VA has wiggle room with this work requirement or is it a line in the sand?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 19, 2022

Go to their website and email them your question so you can get a personalized answer to your question. Or maybe there's a phone number on their website? Although someone here might be familiar with the program they might not be able to answer that question specifically because it seems like technically you don't have the "Post" experience but they might waive it if they think your other experience is relevant.

swhenry and vickilyn like this.
  4. mariielons1

mariielons1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2022

great, thanks

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jun 14, 2022

What are you planning to teach? There are a lot of pathways to choose from and having the minimal reqs for the provisional license could make a big difference. VA certainly needs teachers right now.