edTPA VS. Safety Net

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by emyeager, Aug 29, 2016.

1. emyeager

emyeager Guest

Aug 29, 2016

As a recent college graduate, one looming issue that had been over the heads of myself and my classmates has been the dreaded edTPA exam. Lucky for many, due to the difficulty of the test we were provided with an opportunity to take a Safety Net exam should we fail the initial $300 exam, but I've run into a question that I have yet to be able to have answered anywhere:

My advisor claims that they do not know what happens upon taking the Safety Net exam, or if it holds the same weight on a certification as the edTPA. Put simply, would it be better to do a full retake of the edTPA if it is failed, or would employers have no real way of knowing if someone took the Safety Net in the place of the edTPA? You would still have certification either way, and as far as I know the Safety Net is in place specifically to prevent people from retaking the edTPA, but my advisor claims that the latter is a better option.

Thoughts?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 29, 2016

Take my personal opinion as you wish, but the whole process is stupid. I'm in NYS and have been credentialed for 9 years so this whole edTPA thing my coworkers that are newer to the system have to do just boggles my mind. With that said I choose not to care about anything related to it.

However, back in my day my professors told me something that stuck, nobody cares what score you get on the certification tests as long as you pass and get your certification. So I think you can apply that here. Most P's don't seem to care or even know how the new certification process goes so as long as you have certification. I know mine doesn't at all, my P isn't even sure how going about maintaining my professional cert goes with the PD hours. Many P's have permanent certification (circa 2004 and earlier) and went through the a different process for their certs.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2016

A credential is a credential is a credential: most districts aren't going to rummage to figure out whether you aced the tests you took or just squeaked by.

Bunnie likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2016

I know nothing about safetynet, but my student teacher last year was awesome, passed her Edtpa and has a job offer (the Supe is a connection and asked me about her). I can't say enough about having an awesome ST experience and doing what you can to make connections, get recommendations and jump they the necessary paperwork hoops. Cross our Ts and dot your Is.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2016

Mine does. And it's not an uncommon practice in the tri state area in which I'm located and in which the OP may be seeking employment.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2016

Good luck!
    :)