edTPA for Student Teaching this Fall

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Anne14, May 20, 2016.

1. Anne14

Anne14 Rookie

May 20, 2016

Good Morning. I am wondering if anyone can give me some information and advice on edTPA. I will be student teaching for 18 weeks in the fall for high school science and I would like to spend the summer preparing for it. Any tips and advise would be appreciated. Since this is fairly new for my state many of the teachers I am in contact with have not had to fulfill this requirement. Thanks

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 21, 2016

The student teacher I had this year had to complete edTPA. Her university prepared her well. She was with me two days a week in the first semester, and every day second semester. At the end of first semester her school had them decide on a topic (it had to be in literacy for elementary) and she started the teaching, videoing and writing about two weeks after winter break.

If you know your cooperating teacher, find out their content (chemistry, etc), and see if you can find out from them an appropriate unit for your project.

Anne14 likes this.
  4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 21, 2016

The best advice I have is this: keep up with it through the process. It is more about time management than anything else.

justwanttoteach and Anne14 like this.
  5. Bsmith

Bsmith New Member

May 31, 2016

You really can't prepare for the EdTPA. I am currently finishing my student teaching and finished my EdTPA at the end of March. My school had us do a practice EdTPA during our 40 hours of observations. That helped me know what I would have to do, but when I did my real EdTPA there was so much more to do.

Make sure to do a lesson early enough so you have time to complete everything you need. I also suggest you record way more than you need to, so that you have options for your video clips. One thing you could do is look through the templates and the handbook so you know what is required. When you get your placement, talk to the teacher and figure out what unit you will teach for your EdTPA so that you can plan and get all your extra materials ready.

Once you begin working on it, set time aside each day to work on it. I worked on mine for about 5 weeks. This helped so that I was not too stressed trying to complete it and gave myself plenty of time.

Anne14 likes this.
  6. Anne14

Anne14 Rookie

Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the information. Did you have any issues with getting permission from student's parents to videotape the class? My major is actually in Chemistry and then I went back to school for teaching. I am hoping to use the chemistry class as my lesson and include a lab. I am just wondering about the logistics of videotaping a lab?

7. Bsmith

Bsmith New Member

Jun 4, 2016

The class I did my EdTPA for was a senior class, so some of the students could sign their own sheet. I gave out candy when they brought the sheet in. It worked great! I had all of my forms in besides one. I think most parents are pretty understanding about it, because you're mainly videotaping yourself but the students will be included.

Anne14 likes this.
  8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 4, 2016

I had one parent throw a fit...so her daughter held the iPad for the recordings. It worked out great.

Anne14 likes this.