Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s

Discussion in 'General Education' started by onestepcloser, Jun 1, 2012.

1. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 3, 2012

It should be mandatory! if we are going to overhaul a whole grading system for a district, to the point where a grade no longer can reflect the work ethc as well as the knowledge, then there must be another place to meassure the responsibilty portion. Otherwise, we are dangerously close to letting an entire generation down.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 3, 2012

:agreed:

EXACTLY.

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2012

Let's be honest here. This policy has nothing to do with the kid's acheivments but everything to do with massaging the school's statistics. Has anyone got the figures for pass rates before and after this policy came in?

Don't give them zero, give them a mark of 1 or 0.5. Meets the school policy whilst not rewarding failure.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 3, 2012

:clap:
    My thoughts exactly.

5. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Jun 3, 2012

In that case, the next time I get my bills, I am only going to pay 20% of them. The next time grades are due, I will only turn in 50% of students' grades. I will only show up to breakfast duty 40% of the time. Also, I will only attend work 60% of the time.

See how ridiculous it is? Real world, people, real world.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2012

<<See how ridiculous it is? Real world, people, real world. >>

I will also go to recess, take 5 minute breaks every 45 minutes, expect my work to be reviewed every day, bring all my own supplies, have a bus pick me up and have my lunch provided for me.

School is not the real world.

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 4, 2012

True, school is not the real world, thankfully. It's a place where children can make mistakes, and the stakes are relatively low. So why keep them from learning a critical lesson now? Our job as their teachers is to help them learn from their mistakes when the stakes are low. If we don't teach them now, if we cover for them when the consequences are relatively minor, who will cover for them when the consequences are a lost job? a poor credit rating? angry/ disapointed coworkers? Poor relationships with family and friends who can't rely on them?

Why is it ok to dodge this responsibilty to teach them how to be productive reliable, members of society?

It would be pretty hard to convince me that people don't get consequences for their actions in the workplace. yes, people lose their jobs because of the economy. That's true. But they also lose their jobs because a company can't afford to keep on someone who is not contributing as a reliable member.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 4, 2012

I agree with this completely!

While the kids may not think a "0" or even a failing grade for one grading period is a low consequence, compared to losing your job or receiving consistently poor evaluations that prevent them from getting raises are much more serious.

Also, if they don't learn responsibility, work ethic and discipline along with some basic academic skills, they won't be able to even get a job, much less hold one, when they get out.

Personally, I don't consider homework to be an exercise in compliance. I give homework or class assignments because the kids NEED to practice the material being taught that day in order to better understand it. In math, especially, each subsequent lesson builds on the previous one, so it IS essential that students practice each skill so they can understand how it works and learn to apply it to the next lesson.

However, as pointed out earlier, compliance IS something that WILL be expected by future employers, whether students, employees or teachers like it or not and this case serves as a perfect example. The teacher in question was fired for non-compliance, pure and simple. That should be a very real example to the kids that, sometimes, you DO have to do something you're told to, whether you like it or not.

I also hate when districts state "We can't discuss personnel decisions, but the issue is very complex." BULL****!!!!! The teacher was fired for not following a policy he strongly disagree with, nothing more. But by hinting at "other concerns" while simultaneously refusing to discuss those concerns lets administration give the appearance there is more to the story. Sometimes, that is true, but most of the time it is just a case of admin covering their a$$es for making an arbitrary (and sometimes petty) decision.

9. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

This was my initial thought!! It's. Just crazy and hooray for him for standing by his beliefs! (and being in a position financially where he can afford to do so).