Edmodo Essentials

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ted, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

Hello all,

Well, after a couple of years of hemming and hawing, I've decided I really need to buckle down and try Edmodo. :)

However, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming, so I'm seeking out Edmodo "Veterans" who can let me know how I could best take "baby steps" with it... or what are the ESSENTIALS with which I should start?

For example, since I teach Grade 4, should I just have my one community? Or should I create groups? How do you use groups (if you do)? Would you create a group for each subject (e.g. "Math", "Science", etc.) even though it's a self-contained class?

Is there anything I could be doing NOW before the school year that will save me time once the year begins and the students get their code to join?

Any video tutorials (or other tutorials) to which you can point me?

Thanks for any advice and/or tips! Much appreciated!
    Ted

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2013

I find that it's best to just play around with it.

I recommend creating ONE 4th grade class. You have the ability to create "small groups" within that group, so you could do that for your different subjects.

Join one of the Edmodo support communities and take a look at whatever resources are posted there.

It's very easy to use. I love it and my students love it.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

Hi Caesar,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. :)

I especially like your idea of joining an Edmodo support community. I'm sure if I could see current Edmodos in action, I'll have a better idea. :)

Again...many thanks!
    Ted

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 4, 2013

Good info from Caesar.
    Go to youtube and search: Edmodo Teacher Tutorials

6. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

Thanks much, Ku!

Yes... I've been doing some heavy YouTube research. :)

7. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I used Edmodo with my class for the first time this past year. I had a class group and then I made a "playground" group because my class liked to talk about non-school related things, too. I didn't want that to take over any discussions that needed to be about a particular skill/concept/topic.

I don't know if there is much you can do for your group before school begins since Edmodo has a lot to do with what is going on in your classroom at the time. You can always start hunting for the badges you plan on giving out during the school year. These are given to students for a variety of reasons, such as perfect attendance, appropriate technology use, content area participation, birthdays etc.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

Thanks for this helpful response, EiffelTower! :)

I appreciate the tip about badges. Seems I should do more research on how to best implement them.

9. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I use Edmodo to post assignments and science videos. You may want to work on creating your "library" of files and links. My first year I sort of did that as I went but was not very organized about it. I improved it last year by creating folders by topic so that I can find them easier. A friend told me how she labels everything for "Algebra Chapter 2" in its own library folder so she can then share it with the class. I am not sure about this since the library reminds me a lot of my flash drive with items I may not assign every year.

I second the idea about badges. Even in high school the kids loved getting them.

If you haven't already you should join a teacher community on the Edmodo site. It's a great place to share ideas.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 4, 2013

Thanks, Beccmo. :)

I wonder... if I already use Dropbox for all my teaching files, do I still need to include them in the Edmodo library? Or can't I simply upload them from Dropbox?

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2013

I'm not sure about DropBox (I think the Edmodo powers that be are working on it), but I know that you can link a Google Drive to your Edmodo account! This is my first time using it (the 13-14 school year), so I'm in the same boat you are, lol!

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

Oh good, well I'm not alone in the boat! :)

Yes, I saw connecting the backpack to Google Docs/Drive, so that was pretty cool.

And now I'm thinking about having my students use the backpack instead of Dropbox. The thing is, I wish that a student could ORGANIZE the backpack (folder system, etc.) as I think that's an important skill to teach as well.

Learning and learning! :)

(Thanks for responding, Pwhatley!) :)

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 5, 2013

I gave up on this since we didn't have enough laptops, but after picking up "Role Reversal," I think I will revisit using Edmodo. Not everyone needs to be working on a project at the same time so I think I can make it work. I need to do way more technology integration.

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

That's what is frustrating, isn't it?

They want us to incorporate more technology, and then we have to lie, beg, and steal to get laptops in our room!

We have ONE laptop cart for fourth and fifth grades. Not one PER grade...but one for all seven classes.

Seven classes; five days in a week...the math is not easy. :dizzy:

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2013

I would love it if we had one laptop cart for two grades. We don't have any. Not even a computer lab.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 5, 2013

Yeah, we have one laptop cart for 5 classes. Most of the time at least 5 of those computers don't work :rolleyes:, so really it's less. And we've never had a real computer lab! That would be awesome.

I wish I could get 1:1 laptops. :woot:

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

VERY frustrating!