Edmark

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Sep 3, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I am looking for a reading program to use within my classroom. I teach first graders with multiple disabilities (autism, CP, downs, CD). Currently I have been given the Wilson Foundations program to use. That will teach my students phonics and decoding skills. But as the program progresses, I think that the concepts are going to be to difficult.

I am looking into other programs to use. I am thinking about using Edmark.

Does anyone else use Edmark? Or have suggestions of what to use?

Thanks
    Kris

3. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 3, 2006

I use Edmark, it is good but I find it boring myself but when I try to mix it up and use something else it confuses my kids, they do real well with edmark stuff.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 3, 2006

You may want to look into Direct Instruction. It is sold as Reading Mastery by SRA. It is scripted but it shows the kids "rules" which many kids with disabilities need when learning to read. You can make it fun--- don't worry--about it being scripted we made all kinds of games on the side for our K/1/2 SPED kids while I was student teaching.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

I have both Edmark and SRA Reading Mastery. My students loved Edmark because they were great at memorization and could read it, but they could not read that same word outside of Edmark. One for the first words for Edmark was horse and I had a student whenever she saw a word beginning with the letter H would say horse. I had another student who read perfectly with Edmark but he is presently in 3rd grade and reading at the beginning of first grade. If you do use Edmark make sure that you do other activities to ensure that they use their learned skills outside of Edmark. I don't think I did this enough when I used it.

I used my own reading program last year -- a mish mash of things and it worked great. This year I have the SRA program and I am loving it so far. My co-worker uses it next door and loves it. A regular ed. first grade teacher used it in Florida and bought the homeschool program ($99) to supplement the school supplied language arts program in her first grade class.

FYI - I visited another school last week and the teacher mentioned the Spelling Connections spelling program. She teaches a mild autism program and used to be a resource room teacher. She says it is excellent, much better than SRA Spelling Mastery. It uses all Sitton Words if you are using the Rebecca Sitton Spelling List. I have noticed that the SRA spelling mastery book contains very little "sight words". -- I have only looked through the first 12 lessons though. It is too expensive for me but I am looking at purchasing it through e-bay.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 4, 2006

I taught Spelling Mastery B while I was student teaching--- I loved it-- I thought I learned better spelling then than I did when I was in school doing "theme words" of the week.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

Thanks for the heads up chicagoturtle! I wasn't looking forward to spending more out of pocket money to get a new spelling program. I think I will stick with Spelling Mastery for a year and then decide if I want to try a new program next year.

8. D'Maestro

D'Maestro Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

I used Edmark Reading Program among my students with autism. Some students took a long time before getting through the first few words but there's no stopping them once they got the hang of it. Some tips in using Edmark though is try using both the book and the software to find out where they learn better. Another tip is you may use a touch screen for those who do not know how to use a mouse. Lastly, make some folder tasks using the words they're working on. This last tip really taught them mastery and generalization. Example of folder task could be matching words to picture, encircling the word horse among different words and matching word to word. Making a folder task will eat a lot of your time but it's worth it.

9. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 5, 2006

Thanks so much everyone. I think that I am going to get the program to use for my students who are having a hard time with sound blending.

My students are able to identify their letters and each sound that the letters make, but are having a hard time blending the sounds to make a word.

10. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Call SRA and ask them to send you samples I jus got the etire spelling mastery, reading mastery and Real Math program sent free!!!! Wht is spelling connections where do I look at it?