Edjoin and Finding Jobs in CA

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bseballchick, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

I'm really confused about how to even find a job in CA! I was told that all the districts hired through Edjoin. I've not had any luck with them at all. However, when I go to the individual district sites, they direct you to Edjoin to see their postings!! I've only found one or two districts who have their own application process and job boards. The rest around me, all link to Edjoin! Anyone else find this?? It's maddening, and I am not sure what else to do!! Anyone have luck with Edjoin? There are no postings for SPED jobs in my area, and I check every day. I know things are horrible in CA, but I'm really wondering about this site... Seems like other states have more openings and don't use a central site like this one, and teachers have better luck!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2009

If you are interested in San Diego County Grossmont Union High School District had at least 1 special ed. opening this week. Check Lemon Grove and Spring Valley, as well. But yes, all do Edjoin.

4. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 14, 2009

I think you may just be experiencing the budget situation...I found my job on edjoin and actually really enjoyed using it...was very easy to apply to multiple jobs, everything is electronic. Uploaded my rec letters and could easily apply for over 20 job postings...in fact, I found the job that I currently have when I was on vacation in Washington with family...was checking edjoin, saw the job posted, applied online, got interviewed when I returned and got the job.

So, if there aren't things posted on edjoin chances are they aren't open...now, does that mean that postings on edjoin don't already have someone in mind, and are posting as a mere formality...probably not at all...but, in my limited experience, if a district uses edjoin they put their jobs there.

good luck

5. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 14, 2009

So what districts do their own postings? I thought everyone used it. I think it's pretty useful and saves time because you don't have to keep typing the same stuff over and over. Did you make an account? I check all day long during the week and there isn't much for teachers, especially with all those posting that say you have to be in district already. It's nice to be able to see if the district has looked at it or not or if it closed. Can you tell us what sort of trouble you're having?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2009

A big part of the problem is the economy.

Add in the fact that it's after Labor Day-- most schools have their staffing completed at this point.

7. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

I have used it for several months now. It's useful as far as being able to post your documents, etc. I only wonder how "legit" it is. I've had no luck and also have talked to several other teachers who have noticed that they aren't getting called for positions. I've applied for several and never heard anything or will just get an e-mail from an HR person saying the position was already filled! I'm wondering if districts are posting as a technical thing-because they have to, and then hiring from within or something else. I'm not even getting interviews and am just wondering about the site. That's all. The whole job search here in CA is beyond maddening! I still hear from some that people with SPED credentials have better luck, but I've not found that. I have 7 years experience, 2 classes away from my Master's degree, and I can't find anything. Also, even though it's after Labor Day, I keep reading/hearing that it's not too late to find a job, and to keep searching... Seems like people in other states are having luck and at least getting interviews, if not jobs! Guess I really do need to look outside CA if I want a job. Ugh!

8. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 14, 2009

In my experience Ed Join jobs are probably just like any other...maybe it's just that it's so easy to apply that we feel frustrated when we don't immediately hear...but, it's also just as likely that someone is in the mind of the admin or hr and they are posting as a formality.

But, as job seekers, you have to do what you can. I know that when I applied on Ed-join, I always sent an email as well to the contact telling them that i had applied, and giving them a brief rundown on my qualifications. Redundant, sure, and for most of them I never heard anything, but for the job I actually got this email was very helpful in getting me in contact with the principal.

I do appreciate that it's really tough out there right now...best of luck to all the job seekers and hopefully everyone will get the job they are seeking.

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2009

I believe Edjoin is legit. Teachers I have talked to as well as districts all say they use it and it really is the main source for jobs in Calif as far as I can see. The problem is, there are no jobs in California lately! It's the recession!

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 14, 2009

I will echo what others have said, it is indeed the recession. I too have combed the EDJOIN site over and over again, and it has really not had many jobs in this area at all for elementary ed. It's been pretty awful.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 14, 2009

I'm not sure where in CA you are, but make sure to check out Craigslist as well. I find tons of jobs listed on there in the SF Bay area. If you're interested in private school jobs, contact CalWest-they are really good, and Lee (the owner) is fantastic as staying in touch with job openings.

12. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

I've used Edjoin and it's a pretty legitimate website. A few years ago, I didn't get a call for about 2.5 months after I attached all my documents, but that was for subbing. I was also looking for a full time spot at the time. I look on the website often and see what jobs are available. It's pretty up to date.

13. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 15, 2009

Edjoin is completely legit. Districts in my area HAVE to use it.

As far as posting jobs that are filled internally, my district doesn't do that. When a job opens up, they advertise internally for a week, then they offer it to pink-slipped teachers from last year, and then they post it on Edjoin if it's still not filled. So all the jobs on Edjoin from my district are really open to anyone.

Many charter and private schools don't use Edjoin, though, so you should check with them individually!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2009

I've used edjoin for about 5 years now. It is legit. All districts around me require the use of edjoin in order to apply for a job.

Each year that I was looking, I would apply to about 20 jobs during the summer. This year, I applied to 2. One during the summer and one last week.

15. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

Jem- Thanks, but I'm in so cal.

Nasimi-I too check the postings daily and have had no luck. I agree, that things are pretty awful here! :(

Thanks to those who responded.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2009

What county in CA are you in? I'm qualified to teach RSP, SDC, & general ed (any grade up to 6th). I have 2 credentials. I haven't been looking for a job really since last worked as an RSP teacher for just 1 yr back in 2006-07 & I believe I applied through Ed-Join to get that job, so I don't know how hard it's been to find something.

Regarding my opinion about Ed-Join itself, it's OK I guess. Alll the districts are using it, so I guess we all better learn to like it! :)

They used to say that special ed teachers would always be in demand, but I guess w/ this budget, it's been hard for those in that field too.

Thank God I decided to switch gears & go back to school to get into speech pathology. With that, I'm not limited to just the school districts. I can work in a hospital, some other clinic, have a private practice, etc.

Good luck w/ your continued search!

17. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

Yes, I thought SPED was safe too! I used to watch gen. ed. teachers get notices and was always told that I was "safe". Fast forward a few years, and a new district, and I was first to go! I had no seniority, so was "bumped" by someone else. I'm in LA county, and my district did major cuts. So did all the surrounding districts. Not to mention all those in LA Unified! It's a huge mess. There also used to be SPED positions posted all over, even when there weren't any gen. ed. positions. Not anymore. It's horrible.

I have been looking into going back to school for my SLP credential, but it takes too long! Plus, I owe so much in student loans as it is! I'm also single, so can't afford to go back full time, as I don't have a husband to support me, and I need a regular paycheck! However, you are right about the job outlook for this field. How long is it going to take you to finish? If there was a way to support myself, I'd do it! Good luck!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2009

Bseballchick, I've got an MA in special ed already. To be an SLP, you need a Masters too, so I'm going for my 2nd one, plus the state licensure & the CCC-SLP. A couple of previous classes I took already did count for something for my speech classes & since I have a BA already (though not in the SLP field), I only needed to take 8 prerequisite classes before I could apply to grad school. It took a good full year to do those prereqs, I'm doing my last semester right NOW.

I applied to only 1 grad school who's deadline was Sept 1st (just this month) to begin in the next cohort starting spring 2010. It's a 3 year program that's COMPLETELY ONLINE! But, everyone takes all the same classes each term TOGETHER, so there's no chance of moving ahead & finish earlier than other students. If I'm accepted, I should graduate in 2013. I know, it sounds like a looooong way off! :dizzy:

I'm single w/o kids & I've gone back to subbing. How do I afford all this you may ask? Well, I'm blessed to still live w/ my parents who don't make me pay rent, so I don't have the 2 biggies: Rent/mortgage AND a car payment. My parents got me a 2009 Nissan Rogue last Sept. I do have my own set of bills though, which I'm fortunately able to handle & I'm getting a student loan.

19. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 16, 2009

Did you have your refernces attaching to you EdJoin applications or sent diretck byt the refernce letter providers?

20. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

currentSubber All of your documents need to be attached to your EdJoin application. Some will not let you apply if you don't have the correct attachments.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  21. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 16, 2009

I am glad to see this post. I am aware of CalWest but wasn't ready to move to SF Bay area where private schools are but now I am.

I have hard core science degree. and have been subbign over a year. What's the chnace of getting hired by a private school? Alos, is going through CalWest the only option to really get hired?

22. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 16, 2009

That's really bad for me because my reference leter providers like to send diretcly to emplyers as they are PhD instructors from the universities where I had my master's degrees (in science).

23. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

currentSubber Most school districts are moving away from paper applications and support documents. In my area there are 12 districts within a 30-45 minute drive. ONE of them accepts paper applications. They list their openings on EdJoin, but do not take electronic applications. The rest won't take a paper application, it's all EdJoin. One district had their own online application system, but has migrated to EdJoin.

I don't work in a district office, but I can see 2 reasons for moving away from paper. One is probably because of the Green Movement. Electronic applications don't use paper, and are therefore Green. The other reason is probably volumn of paperwork. If you read through the Job Seekers Forum here you'll see people talk about 100-500 people applying for 1 job. If those were all paper applications, where would districts put them? Years ago, when there was a teacher shortage, the number of applications was less and paper could be handled. Now, it just makes more sense to move to electronic applications.

Talk to your reference letter providers about EdJoin and the move to electronic applications. Mention the Green factor. Scientists should see the logic in using less paper in today's society.

24. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

For my reference letters, they were given to me unsealed so I was able to just scan them in. I would assume this is probably the case for most people, as you are applying for many jobs, and I can't imagine having to get 15-20 reference letters from your references...Once I had them, I just scanned them in as a pdf file and them uploaded them to Edjoin

25. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

UCLACareerChngr That's what I do. One reference even made it into a .pdf for me! That was convenient!

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

There are even online file converters that will convert your documents into any type that is required. I've used them and they work for these online job sites!

27. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 16, 2009

what do you use to change word docs into PDF? I don't want to pay a fortune for it!

28. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

converting files to pdf are easy. If you have a scanner, it probably has software that will convert it for you when you scan it. If you don't have a scanner, but have all your letters, I'd recommend either going to the library if they have a scanner, or buying an hour of time at your local Kinko's and you can scan and convert them there.

Converting files to pdf is pretty easy actually. You can download free converters that you "install" and it looks like another option on your print menu (so instead of printing to your printer you "print" to PDF). But, this won't work for letters that have been signed, you'll have to scan those.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

Are there any safe websites that you guys know of where we can download these pdf converters?

30. CalifasGirl

CalifasGirl New Member

Mar 22, 2011

I have Primo PDF. It's easy to use, and it's free. You just drag the file that you want converted to the icon, and it's done. Otherwise if you have Microsoft Word 2007, you can always use the "Save As" menu function and choose PDF instead of Word.

31. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Mar 22, 2011

The problem is not Edjoin, its the economy. In my district, when a few teachers retired midyear, they had to offer the positions to teachers who were pink slipped last year. From the retirements and resignations this school year, we were able to hire back every single RIFed teacher (the last one is now a 1st grade teacher at my school as of a month and a half ago). That would be why we didn't have jobs posted, could be true for other districts too.

32. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Mar 24, 2011

so if they were able to hirer back all RIFed teachers, then does that mean it's getting better?? I wish they'd bring back 20:1...

33. TeachSoCal

TeachSoCal Rookie

Mar 25, 2011

AND I was informed from the districts I sub in that RIF'd teachers will have first dibs on any sub work next school year so sub jobs may not be as plentiful if the RIF's happen.....

Good times

34. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Mar 25, 2011

I don't think it was a sign that things are getting better. We had a number of teachers who retired, some who moved, a couple that quit for medical reasons, and at least one passed away.
    In my district the RIFed teachers got first dibs for long term jobs but daily jobs were up for grabs.

35. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Mar 30, 2011

As someone who has applied for jobs in other states, believe me you should thank your lucky stars for EdJoin! It makes the whole process much easier and faster. The problem right now is there are just no jobs in California!

For public districts it really is the only place, for charters and privates you might find their listings on Craigslist and a few other mainstream job sites.