#edchat on Twitter

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mamacita, May 23, 2010.

1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 23, 2010

I am deadly serious when I tell y'all that the #edchat on Twitter is the most fantastic place to talk "education" I've ever come across.

A forum is wonderful, but a live chat is so awesome, it's hard to even describe.

Please, get a Twitter account and start following the #edchat. It's official and archived on Tuesdays at noon and seven, Indiana time, but teachers and parents are on there pretty much 24/7/365.

Excuse me for leaving so soon, but I'm anxious to get back to the #edchat. We're talking about so many important things and I'm afraid I'll miss something!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2010

Found it and found your sage advice! Now I have to figure out how to FOLLOW it, not just find it. I'm not the most advanced Tweeter.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 24, 2010

Yay! Twitter and #edchat = awesome!

Cat - get a Twitter manager (I use Tweetdeck, free) and search for edchat ... Tweetdeck will filter all tweets that use that hashtag into their own column from your all-tweet stream.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

Another 5 weeks of school and then I can start to figure the whole Twitter thing out!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 24, 2010

I've heard about it before and tried to figure out how it works but it all seems like another language to me (and I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology). I think it will be my summer project too!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 24, 2010

Okay, I think I figured it out. You have to be logged into Twitter's page and then search for #edchat. Then you can save that under your searches and check it on a regular basis. Mamacita, if you get a follow from someone whose last name sounds a little like Fiddle, it's me!

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 24, 2010

VERY new to Twitter...I can't seem to find #edchat. When I do a search, I get EdChat, a Ed Chatham, and EdchatPLN, which is something about "cultivating the passion" by Steven Anderson...nothing else shows up. :) I must be doing something wrong...can you help? Thanks! :)

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 24, 2010

Do the search on the right hand side of the Twitter home page (it's below "retweets"). Once you find it you'll have the choice to save it, at which point it'll pop up on your home page under "saved searches".

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 24, 2010

Thank you...thank you!! :)

11. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 24, 2010

Okay, so I found it, but now what do I do with it? (not very good at this stuff, sorry). Is each tweet like a post, that I could click on, and see the chat or what? Or does each post stand alone?

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 24, 2010

Oh, I just don't know if I can take on another Internet project. I'm nosey enough though that I'll have to check it all out.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 25, 2010

The post stands alone ... it is a stream of tweets (or microblog posts).

You can contribute to the stream by adding your own tweets.

14. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 25, 2010

Okay, sorry to be so dense...have been trying to figure it out, but need help, again! :) I have #edchat saved to my searches, but how do I join the conversation? Can't figure out how to 'add' it to my 'followings' and have no idea how to actually join it. Any help would be so appreciated...thanks! :)

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 25, 2010

I'm still stuck on finding it...

16. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 25, 2010

"Do the search on the right hand side of the Twitter home page (it's below "retweets"). Once you find it you'll have the choice to save it, at which point it'll pop up on your home page under "saved searches". "

Peachyness, I "feel" your pain! :) Above, is how I found it, thanks to Catnfiddle! (I just copied and pasted what she wrote.) :)

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 25, 2010

I still recommend getting a free Twitter manager (I use Tweetdeck, just downloaded it from their site) ... then, you can assign a column (or a deck) to anything with the #edchat in the tweet, Tweetdeck filters for you and keeps them in order.

18. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 26, 2010

I'm on there too. Trying to figure it all out!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 26, 2010

I just threw a question in there regarding NCTE. Waiting to see if I get any feedback.

20. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 26, 2010

How does one actually add their tweet to the conversation...I admit it...I am an idiot! :)

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 26, 2010

Add #edchat after each tweet you want added to the conversation. I'm also now following #elearning, which is all about online education. Fun!

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 26, 2010

I tried it for a while... I didn't find most of it that useful... just a great way to whine about NCLB/RTT/Standardized Testing... Some articles that are posted are quite interesting, but I have found very little practical information for use as an elementary teacher. I'm glad that some of you are getting a lot out of it.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2010

Are you using Twitter otherwise? I check in with edchat every now and then, but don't follow it often. However, Twitter has provided a huge amount of practical information for my classroom.

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 26, 2010

No. I've tried the Twitter thing. I used it a lot during the winter Olympics and really enjoyed it, but I just can't get into it.

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2010

Hm. I find it to be super valuable in my professional development. It is my go-to source for classroom stuff. But, I can see it not being everyone's cup-o-tea.

26. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 9, 2010

My Tweetdeck is up every micro-second that I'm online. I've learned more on Twitter than in all of grad school.

Just download Tweetdeck and make yourself a #edchat column. Every time someone puts up a tweet about education and uses that hashtag, it will show up on your #edchat column.

And tonight was the debut of #SciChat! It was bloody awesome.

Each Tuesday there's a specific topic. It's not all NCLB or testing. Today, it was technology. Next week, it'll be something else. And on all the other days, teachers are talking about pretty much everything "school-y" under the sun.

I believe that advice, etc, from someone who is actually out there "doing it" is much more valuable and useful than anything we can find in a book.

27. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

I feel like some of the topics for the scheduled chats are over my head as a pre-service teacher. The newly developed #ntchat seems to be more up my alley. However, #edchat has introduced me to a lot of the joys and hurdles that teachers face every day. It's such a wealth of information.

28. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2010

Okay, Mamacita needs to run a remedial Tweeting boot camp if she expects us to hop on #edchat.

Here I thought I could spend the summer relaxing :lol:

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, really. I mean, I am pretty tech savvy. I'm the one people go to at work when they need computer help. I tried to figure this out and just couldn't.....:confused:

30. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2010

I liked the #elearning site that catnfiddle mentioned much better, once I got on. I barely have time to mes with my iPhone, much less get on Twitter. :dizzy:

31. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jun 10, 2010

Just added #edchat to my twitter saved searches. Thanks for the info. I am hoping to learn to navigate twitter better this summer.

32. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 11, 2010

Well I think I finally get it!!! I've had a twitter account for months maybe years, but it was too much for me. I love TweetDeck!! Thanks Again:D

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

Tweetdeck is the way that I finally "got" Twitter, too.

If you want to follow me, let me know and I will PM you my Twitter handle.

Yay, Twitter!

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

I have a twitter account, so I will look it up! Thanks!

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

I keep searching, but I can't find it. The first thing that comes up is called educationdebate. Is that it?

36. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

I am such an internet junkie! I just don't know that I have time to get into something else online! I've stayed away from Twitter....but my curiosity is beginning to peak. Perhaps I'll have to take a look after all.

37. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2010

Love_to_Teach posted this info:
    "Do the search on the right hand side of the Twitter home page (it's below "retweets"). Once you find it you'll have the choice to save it, at which point it'll pop up on your home page under "saved searches". "

So, go to the spot LtT mentions, and type in #edchat.

Also, check out #elearning.

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

And #yalitchat every Wednesday at 9pm Eastern! :)

39. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jul 21, 2011

Hmmm... what I did was add every user who used the hashtag, then grouped all those users under "education" (I have some under "reading" where I follow the Book Whisperer, Donalyn and then other reading teachers / librarians). That's how I follow the #edchat. And the reading one, but can't remember the name. Maybe it's #bookchat? Or #yalit?

40. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 16, 2011

There is a specialized hashtagged chat for almost every aspect of education (and everything else) now! If you download Tweetdeck (it's free and easy to use and so much fun!) you can follow any individual or #conversation you choose - each followed conversation will be in its own separate column. You can create your own groups and follow their conversations. You can set up your Twitter to crosspost to your FB and many other social networking sites. I require my students to have a Twitter account and to participate in various chats I set up in the course of the year. I also have a Twitter Wall, which is a projected conversation that the students and I add to all during class. Many students who would never in a million years speak up in class are quite willing to post questions and comments on Twitter, and since they're all following the conversation via #, questions get answered and discussion flows, both verbally and via TweetWall..

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

I love this idea; it's a wonderful way for all of our students to have a voice. Twitter and I are acquaintances right now--I'm working on becoming friends.