ecosystems lessons?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by newteacher52, Jan 30, 2011.

1. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

hello everyone, I am working on my last year at school before certification and need to do a unit on the ecosystems in my field work. Do anyone have any good ideas they'd like to share?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2011

Any particular ecosystem, or ecosystems in general?

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jan 30, 2011

My 3rd grade class is creating a diorama of an ecosystem in school. Each child chose an ecosystem (tropical, ocean, tundra, desert, etc.) that they wanted to create.

I sent home a letter to the parents about the project and what materials we needed. The children had to research their ecosystem. They wrote down 8-10 facts about their ecosystem.

In class, they are creating their own ecosystem and I am using a rubric to grade them. After creating the diorama, each student is going to type up a paragraph about their ecosystem to attach to their diorama. The project is coming along great.

Hope this helps!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 30, 2011

We do a take on a Project Wild Activity. We call it Polar Bears in Prospect (a town near our school) and Aligators in Anchorage. They have to work as teams to design a zoo exhibit appropriate for one of them. Then, they get to design their own creature (we tie it to adaptations) and create an ecosystem for their creature. This one is a diorama. If you can get your hands on a Project Wild book, they have amazing lessons on ecosystems.

6. newteacher52

newteacher52 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

The teacher i'm working with assigned me the "ecosystems" theme, so i guess it isn't any specific ones. I need to incorporate other subjects in my lessons... i'm finding this very difficult.

7. m1trLG2

m1trLG2 Companion

Jan 31, 2011

I too have to do an ecosystem unit. I think I have a lot of it nailed down but want something memorable for predator and prey/parasite host. I am going to read The Lorax by Dr. Suess to tie it all together at the end. The problem I'm running into is I only have 25 minutes to teach anything :-(. By the time I get all the kids seated and books out etc I have like 15-20 minutes of usable time. Not enough to do any real interactive activities. Any ideas for things that could be started as a class and taken home or continued outside of class time? My class is fourth grade.