ECERS

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Apr 27, 2010

I am getting observed on Thursday by ECERS. I am not so worried about the classroom/environment but I am concerned about the interview part. Any experiences with this out there?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 27, 2010

Read through the ECERS book and you'll have a good idea about the questions they'll ask. When I was interviewed (I'm a former child care teacher) I believe they asked me about frequency of breaks, benefits we receive, communication with parents, frequency of formal conferences, what temperature range we take the kids out to play in, the structure of the day, rotation of books, and other stuff that I can't recall. But I do remember that just by looking at what's expected to be in the top rating for each category a good number of questions come from that.

Good luck with your observation. Remember to talk, talk, talk to the children the whole time!

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2010

They are observing you for friendly interactions with children, how you deal with problem behaviors, if you have them problem-solve themselves, asking open-ended questions, etc.

The above poster hit the highlights. The interview is more about school policy and asking any questions they didn't observe when they were there. Nothing to be nervous about. Have one of your supervisors gone through your room (or have you) to check you meet all the criteria? I just did one on a school last week - pain in the ^^%$%!

I think it is interesting because I had to give them high marks in areas I didn't like and low marks in areas I did just because of the darned questions. It is a good tool but not perfect.

5. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Apr 27, 2010

Thanks! My room is ready to go. My director went through and it is pretty equipped. For some reason I am just really nervous about the interview part.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2010

Have faith. You'll do great!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 27, 2010

I didn't ever have an interview. Under what circumstances would you need to be interviewed?

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 27, 2010

Is this like a CDA?

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Blue, ECERS is basically a tool to rate the program... looks at stuff like having adequate materials and scheduling.... IL has decided that this is the tool they're going to use to rate the state-funded PreK programs. (this year, at least. It will likely change again, as we wouldn't want consistency in expectations) We thought we were getting visited this year, but since we were also visited last year, we think this was misinformation.

From what i understand, they interview the teachers to find things out that they can't find out just by observing.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

Thanks, sounds more like a NAEYC certification.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2010

So...how did it go?

12. langspeech

langspeech Rookie

Apr 30, 2010

Gun Play

How would some of you address a child who is constantly building guns with legos and aims to shoot props in the block area?
    Thank you in advance for your imput

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 30, 2010

We started ECERS this year, but have not had an evaluation yet. I guess that will come next year. It will make me nervous too. I am sure there will be places we will have a lower score, due to factors beyond my control.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 1, 2010

That's what got me, too! We spent MONTHS "upgrading" and preparing for the assessment, and then lost points for things that were beyond my control. And every room in the centre lost points for the same thing (i.e. outdoor space). I have no control over the outdoor space, except monitoring behavior and maintaining a safe environment.

15. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

May 1, 2010

"Legos are for building"? "Let's build a firetruck"? I don't know what the ECERS appropriate answer would be, but I think redirection is a safe bet.

16. bama girl

bama girl New Member

Aug 20, 2010

Letter to parents to explain ECERS

Have any of you sent out a parent letter to explain to the parents all the ins and outs of ECERS? Is there one on the Internet that I could use?