ECERS-3 / Science Center

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jbrinkm, Dec 17, 2015.

1. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Dec 17, 2015

I'm a Pre-K teacher in a public school, and my department is demanding that we make a bunch of changes to our classrooms (in the middle of the school year :banghead:) because of the release of ECERS-3. I used to have a Math & Science Center in my room that had some science-y stuff, manipulatives, puzzles, etc. Now we had to create a separate science center. We can still have a manipulatives/table toys center (can't call it math, because math is everywhere so it doesn't need a center of its own), but the two can no longer be combined. Now that I've separated the two areas, I'm realizing how weak my science center is. I have science journals and some living things (plants, gecko), color lenses, a magnet board, rocks, pine cones, leaves (I will have shells in a few weeks), magnifying glasses and rubbing plates.

Can you give me some more ideas for some SIMPLE science activities that 3 & 4 year olds can do independently in this area? NO sensory tables - I already have a sand table and water table off to the side. I'd love to hear "tried and true" ideas - things that you have used that were safe AND engaging (and don't need adults to interact with). And that don't take a ton of time to set up - I've got enough to do with all the changes to my room!

3. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Dec 21, 2015

First let me say I have not looked at any type of ECERS in 5 years. So am am not sure what changes have been made, and I have been teaching kindergarten for the last few years.

I loved using discovery bottles in my science center. We would make one-two new bottles a week and add them to the center. Because we made them as a class the students we able to use them independently and were excited to use them.
    http://www.redtedart.com/2015/02/27/25-fantastic-discovery-bottle-ideas/
    http://de-tout-et-de-rien-caroline.blogspot.com/2012/02/bouteilles-de-decouvertes-quand.html

Our district library and the local museum both have traveling science kits that we can check out with things like fossils, various types/strengths of magnets, life cycle puzzles, etc. That we could check out to add to our science area.

Could you make task cards similar to what is found here to help guide there exploration?
    http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1,689,949,371,929,610&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1450754538870

4. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Dec 25, 2015

Prisms and flashlights, scales, rocks, bug catchers, magnifying glasses

5. ToddlerTeacher

ToddlerTeacher Rookie

Jan 8, 2016

Flashlights, a light table, scales, magnifying glasses, magnetic tiles, mirrors, natural materials (rocks, seed pods, Pinecones, sticks, crystals), a globe, a critter carrier, fake bugs...

6. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Jan 22, 2016

I thought about doing a light table, but does the room need to be dark for it to work well? What exactly do your students do with it? I'm worried my students would be bored quickly... Do you think I could do most of what would work on a light table with flashlights instead?

7. ToddlerTeacher

ToddlerTeacher Rookie

Jan 25, 2016

I keep my lights on and the light table works fine. It is best to keep it in the darkest part of the room though. Flashlights don't really replace a light table, but they are great in the science area too. My kids love when I put paint in a bag and tape it flat to the table. They can draw with their fingers to make shapes through the paint. There are transparent legos, magnetic tiles, and blocks that you can use on the table.