EC-6 Generalist

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by doxieteacher, Apr 6, 2010.

1. melville73

melville73 New Member

May 14, 2011

Help!!

Hello,

Can you please send me the strategies for EC-6 exam?
    My email is phanbelinda@gmail.com.

Thank you so much!

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, melville73.

fabulous red hasn't posted on A to Z for a year, so I don't know whether you'll get a response from that quarter.

What aspects of the exam have you particularly concerned?

3. cougars1

cougars1 New Member

Jun 12, 2011

EC-6 texes test

Hello, I will be taken the texas EC-6 test Next week. Im already a PE teacher but want to open my doors to new things. I was wondering if anyone has taken that exam this year. If so I was wondering if you remember any of the questions that were answered. Please Let me know. Thanks. and Pray that I pass.

4. zazz

zazz New Member

Jul 19, 2011

Fabulous red I just took the generalist ec-6 and scored 220 pts. Can you please send me your strategies? I know I will pass it next time. My lowest competency was the science. Any tips....HELP......

5. zazz

zazz New Member

Jul 19, 2011

How did you do cougars1? I also took the test and I already registered to take it in Sept. because I scored a 220. I scored the lowest in science. I hope you can reply soon! If you didn't pass are you interested in a study partner?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, zazz.

If I recall correctly, passing is 240, which means you're not hideously far off.

Science, hmmm? That might be the easiest low competency to fix. Answer three questions for me, please:

- What do you do around the house?

- What do you do for fun?

- Is there a hands-on science museum anywhere near where you live?

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

If you can get a hold of a 5th and 6th grade Science book and write notes on areas that you are weak on, that could be helpful. I listed all my resources on previous posts. Good luck! :)

8. zazz

zazz New Member

Jul 20, 2011

Thank you Teacher Groupie for the welcome. I am already certified in EC-4, I hold a Bilingual/GT certificate. But next school year my principal wants me to teach 5t gr. He encouraged me to not limit myself in EC-4 so I want to be able to be certified in teaching 5th & 6th grade. Before I took the EC-6 test in June 2011 I reviewed for one month the EC-4 books I also used the Texes 191 Generalist EC-6 REA by Luis Rosado and the quizlet flashcards. I felt confident with the Reading competency I got 30 out of 40 correct, Fine Arts/Physical Ed. 13out of 15, but the Science 9 out of 22. I prepared myself for the Science by reviewing the 5th gr TAKS released test questions , the Cliff Notes book and Dr. McCune TEXES Master flashcards. I am from a small town and no we don't have a museum. I know that if I keep on studying hard I will eventually master my goal. I hope I can pass the TEXES EC-6 in Sept. because I am already enrolled to begin my Masters in the Spring 2011.
    Teacher Groupie by any chance since I noticed you have been in the forum for a while did you ever get Fabulous Red strategies? Thank you:D:D

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2011

You're welcome, zazz.

Test-taking strategies are fine things, but they're no substitute for a solid grasp of the concepts that will help you recognize them in unexpected places.

As you do things around the house, take a moment to think about how they could be labeled in science terms. Cooking is chemistry; cleaning involves Newton's laws and various of the simple machines.

You might also benefit from getting hold of a good kids' science encyclopedia (and it will continue to be a useful resource). My favorite is the big one published by Usborne, but Dorling Kindersley and Kingfisher also sell good ones.

As an alternative, try finding kids' science museums online. Most of the big science museums have Web sites, and the chances are pretty good that the ones in Texas have teacher goodies that will help you grasp and play with the concepts at a more advanced level.

10. celesta83

celesta83 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I felt the same way, I missed it by 8pts. I did bad in the social studies and science. I studied a lot of the social studies but none of what I knew was on the test. What did you use to study?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

Hugs, celesta83. What aspects of history and science seem to be giving you grief?

12. celesta83

celesta83 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I can't quite remember but I was 11/24 in social studies and 12/22 in science.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

TExES should be aligned to the state content standards: be prepared to know what's on them up through about eighth grade. A good historical atlas is my favorite choice for history, though in a pinch the ... for Dummies or Complete Idiot's Guide series have some useful entries.

Is there a hands-on science museum anywhere near you? If so, go with a list of science vocabulary and look for examples of the words in action. If not, find a good science museum online.

14. celesta83

celesta83 Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

Thanks so much for the tips!! We do have a meuseum here, but it's a local muesum. I guess I will have to do a lot of googling!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2011

Not so much, really: most of the major kids' science museums have Web sites, and a good many have really nifty activities.

You might try Googling "exploratorium" (this is the Web site of San Francisco's Exploratorium, which is well worth a visit should you be in the area) or "ology", which is the Web site of a major national museum of natural history.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2011

And the point is less that you should go to a museum (though museums have the advantage of being concentrated and generally well-labeled) than that you should begin to make a point of PLAYING with science. (It really is tremendous fun.)

17. celesta83

celesta83 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Thanks for all the info!!

18. Tina butler

Tina butler New Member

Aug 9, 2011

Please help

I test on Monday august 15 and aug 16 I need much help please send me as much info that you can PLEASEEEEEE!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2011

What subject matter on the test has you most concerned, Tina_butler?

20. actstudent

actstudent New Member

Oct 20, 2011

Study Tips Anyone???

Hey gang.
    I am about begin studying for my EC-6 Generalist. I have a copy of "Pass The TexEs EC-6" by Joe Kortz. Has anyone used this book? Find it useful? It sure looks like an enormous amount of information. Some of the math stuff looks beyond 6th grade. I will also be taking the SP. ED. K-12 test too. I haven't found any good study guides for that one yet. Any help or tips for either test (but especially the generalist) would be great! Luckily, I will have a month or so to prepare. :mellow:

21. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 20, 2011

Pull old TAKs test questions off of TEA website. I used every test I could find posted by TEA to get an idea of the type of questions for each grade level.
    Good luck!

22. NewTexasTeacher

NewTexasTeacher Rookie

Nov 26, 2011

Is the social studies part for the EC-6 Generalist test alot of Texas history or just social studies in general?

23. NewTexasTeacher

NewTexasTeacher Rookie

Nov 26, 2011

Competencies

What exactly do you mean when you say, "KNOW YOUR COMPETENCIES"? I'm new to the Texas system and need all the information I can get.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 26, 2011

I think Texans use the term "competencies" to refer to what some other tests call "domains". You've already looked at the practice questions in the online test manual; now back up in the manual till you find the outlines of material one needs to know and how one needs to know it.

25. grace1029

grace1029 New Member

Jan 21, 2012

Texes Generalist EC-6

Please help me, I did not pass this test the first time, and Im preparing to take it at the end of Febuary. Some of the post I have been reading are old, yet helpful. I was just wondering if there were any updated study tips. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

26. Riddle

Riddle New Member

Feb 14, 2012

I am taking the Ec-6 191 test also for the 3rd time in March!! I am sooo discouraged. I do not know what else I can study!?!? I am waiting to take the PPR until I pass this content exam. Prayers please. :(

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2012

Riddle, welcome to A to Z. EC-6 191 is a multiple subject test, so it covers a lot of domains... On your previous attempts, have you gotten feedback that indicates where you're coming up short? What is it that you've been using to study?

If you're holding off on PPR because you think people are supposed to pass EC-6 first, you might want to rethink that.

28. Staceyok

Staceyok New Member

Feb 19, 2012

I'm looking for someone to help tutor me that has passed the EC-6 generalist texes exam. Over the Internet through instant messenger. I would be willing to pay a little bit. I don't have a ton of money but I need to make sure I pass this the first time. My email is slstewart25@gmail.com. Please help!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, Staceyok. I'm better versed in other states' tests - though, frankly, aside from the different state-history material and some other small wrinkles, there isn't that huge a difference in content.

If any Texans want to follow up with Staceyok about this, please do this via private message (PM) so we're not feeding personal contact info to spambots.

Staceyok, I see you're allowing private messaging (if you hover your cursor over the blue link for my name, you'll see that I do, too - though brand-new members usually can't originate private messages, you should be able to receive them.

30. ari

ari Rookie

Feb 22, 2012

Hi I know how you feel I just took the EC-6 this passed Feb.11, 2012 and did not passed it. I have some notes that can help you out. Maybe we can share notes and help each other. Where are you from?

31. ari

ari Rookie

Feb 22, 2012

Hi, I tried very hard on my test date to pass my EC-6 exam. I thought I had all the right answers. In 3 days I got my results NOT PASSED. I felt like dying cause I had study very hard. Can you please let me know you did it. Thank you very much.

32. ari

ari Rookie

Feb 22, 2012

220 wow, I wished I was that close, I just took the EC-6 this passed feb.2012 and failed. Do you have any notes that we can share. Thank you very much!!!

33. youngteacher

youngteacher New Member

Jun 8, 2012

I also took the 191 Generalist EC-6 and did not pass for like 3 points. I was very disappointed because I had studied hard. I particularly did not well in the English Language Arts and Reading and the Science domains. I reviewed at least two of the most common study guides out there (CliffNotes and the Nath & Ramsey) and did a few practice exams. Does anyone have any helpful tips/notes? Or know of any study group sessions in the Houston area. Thank you, any assistance is really appreciated.

Also, has any one used 240Tutoring, is it worth it? It’s a bit pricey.

34. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 8, 2012

Hello,

Definitely restudy the LA part. I really liked the Nath and Ramsey. I used it for the EC-4 and the EC-6 exams. Here's a website that has study cards and allows you to generate tests, based on the style that you choose. I always chose the multiple choice tests, myself.

http://quizlet.com/subject/ec-6/

I also used the Certify Teacher website for this exam, my PPR, and ESL. I have to study using many different sources and I probably overstudy.

Good luck! :)

35. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 8, 2012

I also used the Pearson TAKS prep, old released TAKS tests, and other study guides on the TEXES website.

36. youngteacher

youngteacher New Member

Jun 30, 2012

Has any one used 240Tutorin for the 191 Generalist EC-6, is it helpful/effective? Any experiences?

37. rshernandez20

rshernandez20 New Member

Jul 10, 2012

Can you please email me these strategies? They seem like they would really help. I'm about to take the EC-6 in August and need all the help I can get. Thanks in advanced. :)

38. Believeachieve

Believeachieve Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

@rshernandez20. You need a study buddy? I live in Florida but will travel to TX in August for test.

39. Passiontoteach

Passiontoteach New Member

Jul 17, 2012

@Believeachieve and @rshernandez20 I am looking for someone to study with if anyone would like to study together please let me know.

40. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I can also recommend the Xam online books to study from. I took my generalist 4-8 and passed the first time around. I am currently using their book for the ESL test to study too.