EC-4 Generalist vs. 4-8 Generalist

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by TexTeacherTiff, Jul 23, 2007.

1. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Hello out there! I recently took the EC-4 Exam on July 16th and passed with a 265. (79 out of 100). It was not very difficult for me after I studied a few weekends in a row. My question to all of you out there who have taken both exams, is should i be very concerned with the difficulty level of the 4-8 generalist exam? I mean I am positive that it is more difficult, but is it extremely difficult compared to the EC-4? I know that since I have passed the Elementary exam I could technically look for a job in the EC-4 area. However I also know that #1) Elementary is the hardest to obtain a position in and #2) I have worked with kids and really want to teach Middle School. Anyone out there that could help.... please do...:thanks: :love:

3. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I took the 4-8 and then the EC-4 about a year later. I thought that the EC-4 was a slightly more difficult because of all the reading strategies/philosophies. Just look over your math, science( especially earth) and legal requirements of a teacher regarding special ed students

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Rumors fly thick and fast about how hard these tests are, but it sounds like you're a pretty good test taker, TexTeacherTiff, and I'd guess that that will transfer fairly smoothly to the 4-8 Generalist test.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Granted, I took the bilingual version of both exams which contains slightly different content, but I thought the EC-4 was a breeze and the 4-8 required some serious review beforehand. I hadn't done geometry, algebra II or trig since... um, i was actually in those grades! I thought the test totally kicked my butt when I walked out, but I ended up doing better than I did on my EC-4. I was moved semi-involuntarily from 2nd to 5th, so my principal put me in a position where i had virtually no study time, but I still did okay. I like having the additional certification since it'll give me more options when I look for another job, so if you're willing to review the content a bit I'd definitely go for it.

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

...just reread the original post... couldn't you also take a subject area test if you know what you'd like to teach in middle school? in my district, elementary only goes through 5th grade and then in middle school everything's departmentalized.

7. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Noreenk,
    First of all thank you for replying! no I cannot take the test for a specific content area, I can only take the 4-8 Generalist exam to teach middle School. Therefor, I will have to try my hardest to pass the test. I am fairly young so high school algebra isn't too too far long ago, so hopefully that will help. Thank you guys for all your help, and if anyone has any pointers please let me know. My other question is: Since it is getting so close to the beginning of a new school year, are my chances of finding a job after September ?

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

in my district, they were still hiring into october and there's always emergencies come december when they're looking to hire someone, too. what city are you in?

9. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I am in South west Houston, so my options consist of Fort Bend ISD (Sugar Land) or Katy ISD, and then some smaller districts. I am just hoping that it won't be as hard as everyone is saying to pass then find a job...

10. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I am in South west Houston, so my options consist of Fort Bend ISD (Sugar Land) or Katy ISD, and then some smaller districts. I am just hoping that it won't be as hard as everyone is saying to pass then find a job...

11. teachnow1

teachnow1 New Member

Jul 30, 2007

I have a question for TexTeacherTif. What means of studying did you use to pass the ec-4 exam? I am using the SBEC guide and a book by the REA(Research Education Association) titled "101 Generalist EC-4". Do you know anything about these guides?

Thank you

12. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

TeachNow1,

To study I bought the Cliff Notes Study Guide for the EC-4, although I must admit that i didn't read hardly any of it. The exam was not incredibly hard to me, but I am a pretty decent "test taker". The only thing I am worried about the 4-8 Generalist exam is that I do not know the content. I am sure if you review over some of the theories required for the Ec-4 exam you will do just fine!

13. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I used the study manuals from the texes testing website. I just made sure I understood what they were asking and could do anything similar. It was a pretty good review of math and science.
    http://texes.ets.org/prepMaterials/

Hope this helps.
    Oh and I was hired for my first year in October. Things change once schools get a better student count.

14. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I PASSED THE Generalist 111 4-8!!!!!

So heres a story for the books. Two days before I was supposed to take the exam I had to have surgery on one of my kidneys and remove a kidney stone... OUCH!!! I got out of the hospital Saturday morning, the DAY OF THE test at 5:00 AM. I went home and slept a while, then at 1:00PM I left to take the exam. I went in pajamas and my hospital bracelets, because I was still pretty woozie and didn't have the energy to change. Someone else drove me there and walked me inside to the testing room. The told the test admins my situation, but I insisted on taking the test because I didn't want to have to reschedule. So about 20 minutes in a realized that with the pain killers in my system there was NO WAY I could take this test. I told the administrator I wanted to quit. She told me no way I had gotten this far and I should finish. She was very nice and helped me walk down the hall to get a drink of water, before returning. I sat there through it for another 3 hours... I was SURE i failed. I just got my score I made a 261.:2up:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

That's quite a story! Congratulations!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2007

Tiff, when I went through college, it was divided so I did EC-4 thinking I wanted the younger kids. I subbed in a couple of 5th and 6th grade classrooms and loved it, so I looked into testing for 4-8. The generalist has a lot of math on it, and seeing as how I'm not good at math, I decided to go the Eng/Reading/Social Studies route to broaden my job choices. This test wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be though. Good luck!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2007

Wait, kristi_anderson: do you mean that the generalist 4-8 isn't as difficult as you thought it would be?

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2007

Not the generalist test!! I didn't take that test after taking the practice test. I only took the Eng/Reading/SS test.

19. TexTeacherTiff

TexTeacherTiff Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I can tell you that I took and passed both, and without a doubt i found the 4-8 generalist exam to be much harder. if you have not taken geometry classes since high school it is difficult. i was amazed that i passed it. While taking the ec-4 generalist exam I felt confident in my selections... not with the other. I can say for sure the 4-8 generalist exam is not a test to go into without studying.