Ebola and Enterovirus

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Oct 6, 2014.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 10, 2014

Hope your feet are up, resting, and you are having some nice, warm chicken soup! Feel better.

2. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2014

No doubt!!! There is backlash for so many days missed....what about spreading stuff...geesh!!!

Sorry you're sick!!!
    http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-sore-throat/
    I also read after you gargle touch your toes with the stuff in your mouth & press your tongue to roof of your mouth every few seconds...it "pulls" that junk out!!! Then spit like after or min or for as long as you can.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

Awww, thanks for thinking of me. I'll see how I am tomorrow morning after a nice dose of Nyquil tonight!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2014

Absolutely agree! Feel better!! TGIF!!!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 10, 2014

I was thinking the wine in the fridge might be more effective than the Nyquil! Please, feel better. :hugs:

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2014

I can't taste or smell anything so skipped the wine and went for the Nyquil. Maybe tonight I can have some LOL

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 11, 2014

Haven't been in this thread for a while. Sorry you're sick TeacherNY! I know you're doing all you can to get better fast, so get well soon!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 11, 2014

Re: this Ebola virus, it has come to my state of CA because I read where someone has it & they're at some hospital in L.A. county. My mom & I were talking about it. My mom has no doubt it's going to spread & even though they say it's not airborne, that may be for now, but maybe one day it will be. Eek!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2014

For anybody interested in the history/science of Ebola, I recommend Ebola by David Quammen. It is an updated excerpt from his larger book, Spillover. It is only 128 pages.

I haven't yet read the updated portions, but the sections in Spillover were excellent. Great research, he had access to all the right researchers, and no scaremongering (like in Hot Zone, etc). I think it is the most reasoned account published to date (for a lay audience).

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2014

Not a scaremonger, but just reporting facts. The second nurse who was diagnosed with Ebola got on a flight with a fever, after she called CDC to report fever and they gave her the OK to fly.:dizzy: I don't understand why those who had direct contact with the original patient weren't put on 21 day quarantine? I thought that was protocol.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 16, 2014

You are asking the question that everyone in this country is trying to get their head around!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 17, 2014

That proved to be untrue. I can't find a link, but if I'm recalling the radio article correctly, a student at one of the universities tried to get a large number of absences excused by saying she'd been in quarantine because somebody in her family had been exposed. It was complete fiction.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2014

I heard an interview with that nurse's uncle today on the radio and he reported that she did not call the CDC. I also heard that she was actually showing symptoms before boarding the plane to OH. And now there is a cruise ship off the coast of Belize that has a lab tech that handled lab specimens from Mr. Duncan on it quarantined in their cabin and Belize officials will not let the ship dock.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2014

Hmm, I hadn't seen that. All reports said she called several times. So this just proves how inaccurate reporting is and how unprepared we are for things like this. Oh my, another cruise ship issue....I'll never go on a cruise. A city on a ship..not my idea of fun.