Ebola and Enterovirus

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Oct 6, 2014.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2014

I guess if you have any doubts don't send... I had a mom send kid to school even with her eyes pink... (we didn't have nurse..small school)Sent child to office think it's pink eye...nope. Well child didn't come next day mom said to me well I figured school would send home if it was... UGH...thanks for exposing the whole class & countless others....

2. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 8, 2014

It isn't about me sending anyone.

Other posters talked about kids coming sick and how parents should keep sick kids home. I agree. Sick kids should stay home. Pink eyes should be checked out.

Here we are talking about symptoms of this virus can be severe in which one would hope a parent would keep a child home, but they can also be mild like a traditional cold and the student can be every bit as contagious as a student with a fever and a hacking cough.

Since it is teachers saying parents should keep kids home so this enderovirus doesn't spread, I'm still asking for that threshold and not getting an answer.

Being that I have read complaints in the past about parents that keep their kids home when they just have a runny nose and a little cough but no fever, I'm really wondering what those posters who said they hope parent keep their sick kids home what they really mean by "sick" since a kid with a runny nose and the enderovirus can spread the virus to another student who may end up hospitalized, paralyzed, or dead.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 8, 2014

What I would hope is that a parent would exercize reasonable care and consideration when evaluating the child before sending them off to school. Yes, afebrile carriers are out there, and they share the virus. Can I tell the difference between virus and allergies? No. Best parental judgement.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

Yes, but when these parents are sending the kids in with strep throat, diarrhea for a week straight, high temperatures, excessive coughing, and so forth...if they can't exercise good judgment with these SEVERE symptoms they certainly won't with milder symptoms that could mean they have the viruses.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2014

I think that parents should keep their kids at home whenever they can reasonably assume that their kid is or might be contagious.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 8, 2014

Here is what one site said: "Respiratory viruses like EV-D68 can be shed (passed from a person's body into the environment) in your stool for several weeks or longer after you have been infected. The virus can be shed from your respiratory tract for 1 to 3 weeks or less. Infected people can shed the virus even if they don't have symptoms."

Yep. Best advice is wash hands, don't touch face, wash hands, don't touch face. Have the school scrubbed down every day. No sharing supplies. Masks might be a good idea.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 8, 2014

Sadly, the US has experienced its first death attributable to Ebola

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2014

I had a child last year that had DOUBLE really gross infected pink eye, and legally we couldn't send him home. It spread through the class like wildfire! I cannot believe he wasn't made to stay home! I'd be mad as a parent of a child in that classroom who had to deal with this because the parent didn't keep him home! Message: We can't rely on parents to do what is right. To me that is scary.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 9, 2014

I agree. Some only keep their kids home if it is convenient for them. Way to go putting their children first!! :dizzy:

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 9, 2014

One parent told the bus driver, "Timmy is sick today but he can't stay home. Hopefully he will be better at the end of the day". :banghead:

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 9, 2014

Some parents have to work or they don't get paid. If they don't get paid, they can't pay the rent and then their kid has more problems than just being sick.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 10, 2014

Schools should tell parents in no uncertain terms that they should not send a child to school with an elevated temperature. Ever.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 10, 2014

I think that many schools have said precisely that, but it's like no one is listening. Maybe some of these apples haven't fallen too far from the tree! :lol:

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2014

Couldn't agree more..what does this teach the children as well!!!
    I know we had a lot of cases of pink eye & felt bad for those who got it twice in my classroom!!!

Parents SHOULD no better.... key word SHOULD...

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

No, I think they're listening. They just ignore it. It should not be the problem of 20 other kids (or more) if a parent can't get anyone to stay home with sick kid. It comes down to not taking responsibility for your own kid whether it be buying them school supplies, clothes, food, finding childcare for them when they're sick. They just become everyone's problem and for a long time they have been getting away with it. I don't care to hear any sob stories. I've gotten sick too many times because kids came to school sick (yes, can you tell I'm sick right now).