Ebola and Enterovirus

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Oct 6, 2014.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

I can see it spreading faster because people aren't keeping their kids home from school when they are sick. They send them to school with a variety of ailments and whatever they have keeps going around and around.

2. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

The enterovirus worries me more than Ebola, mostly because i'd be more susceptible to it than most - I have a history of respiratory illness and of a not-as-strong-as-most immune system. One time, asthmatic bronchitis turned into walking pneumonia with me never noticing - even when it got into my heart and caused scarring.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2014

The enterovirus is more scary to me than Ebola...and I live fairly close to Dallas. Ebola is not airborne and from what I've read does not have the capacity to become airborne.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 7, 2014

The biggest fear is that Ebola will mutate to an airborne virus. Hasn't happened yet, and seems in many ways to resemble HIV, but not in the infected for life sense. Please don't anyone take it that way. As a scientist, I just see similarities between the two viruses in structure.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

Or send them thinking "if it's bad enough school will call."
    :dizzy:

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 7, 2014

I truly understand and agree that it spreads because kid will come sick, but what is the threshold to keep kids home? How many days do you want them to miss? We read all of the harshness about kids missing lots of days of school and how they are responsible for their make-up work, yada, yada, yada. What is the threshold where parents should keep kids home? They wake with a stuffy nose? Sniffles? A cough that could just be a morning cough? Fever (yes, according to all school rules)?

I'm not asking to argue, but it is a balance between when to keep home and when to send especially since there are lots of kids that get this virus and it is like the common cold. So, what is the balance. Should the schools communicate this balance to parents? Should schools be more quick to send kids home?

I remember H1N1 sweeping through the local middle school. It was almost shut down. By the time the kids and parents realized they didn't have a cold, they had already spread it. Then teachers had already set the tone about not missing school unless they were really sick because getting behind makes it too difficult to catch up.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

"Enterovirus D68, the respiratory virus currently sickening children in Canada and the U.S., normally causes mild cold symptoms such as fever, runny nose, sneezing, cough and muscle aches. Most children recover on their own.

The current outbreak across North America has been unusual in terms of both symptoms and scale, says enterovirus expert Rafal Tokarz of Columbia University in New York.

Four deaths have been linked to the virus, though not conclusively.

"The virus has never been associated with such severe symptoms," notes Tokarz. "But at the same time there has never been such a large scale outbreak."

Tokarz says little is known about enterovirus D68 and very few scientists have worked with it."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/enterovirus-d68-faq-on-an-emerging-respiratory-pathogen-1.2786890

This may be a lot like a cold but perhaps a new strain. I just think as teachers we need to be more alert and aware.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2014

Enterovirus scares the heck out of me. My son has severe asthma.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

I worry for my asthmatic son as well, which prompted me to post this thread. He has had lung issues much of his life.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 7, 2014

Yes. I have read that. Many kids will have the mild symptoms though and still have this virus. Not all kids will be severe.

So, my question still stands when we talk about keeping sick kids home.... what is the threshold to keep them home. Fever is already a reason where parents should keep their child home, but what about a runny nose? sneezing? cough (how bad)?

We really can't have parents keeping every child with a runny nose home. Can we? For how long?

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2014

I think that when there is something extra nasty going around (for example, when an illness is making the front page of CNN and the CDC is issuing updates) parents should be extra cautious and schools should loosen up on excused absences.

I taught at a school that was super strict, so everybody came to school sick, which meant that kids were always sick and a great deal of productivity was lost.

At my current school, sick kids tend to stay home, so it's really not a problem. Kids are sick less often. It's on the kid how motivated they are to make up missing work, but for the most part the kids who don't make up work and fall behind were probably behind already for off task behaviors.

Especially in high school where kids have smart phones, computers, access to class websites, etc, there isn't much reason for kids to fall behind over an absence unless they were really sick.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 7, 2014

The enterovirus does not affect adults. My doctor said I don't have to worry and I have Cystic Fibrosis. He said just practice usual hand washing around crowds. I also have 5 month twins so it is a concern. But I just think about all the other diseases they are more susceptible to. I mean, more kids die from the flu each year than of this virus. For the overwhelmingly majority of kids this wont be more than a cold. I would assume parents of asthmatic kids would hopefully always be more vigilant around fall/winter time.

This is why 24 hour news isn't always a good thing in my opinion

13. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/about/ev-d68.html

Adults can get infected with enteroviruses, but they are more likely to have no symptoms or mild symptoms.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 8, 2014

Should everyone who has an upper respiratory infection, or what appears to be a URI, be tested to see if the infection is the enterovirus? I am guessing the answer is no. Is this important if you are the most vulnerable? Yes, but can you reasonably expect every URI to be accurately diagnosed (which virus), or do you just try to protect yourself with good hygiene?

15. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

Sometimes other things get misdiagnosed as URIs, too.