Ebola and Enterovirus

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Oct 6, 2014.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2014

What's going on??? Some scary stuff to be sure. The enterovirus may affect us more as teachers. I worry for our kiddos. This is scary. Are you worried?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2014

Scared? No. Precautious? Yes.

Ebola I'm not so worried about...there are so many other diseases/viruses one is much more likely to contract. Again, precaution is vital.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2014

the enterovirus does concern me. It is a cousin to polio. And it has hit our state. And yes Ebola is down the list, but it is now here! That in itself to me is frightening. Just my opinion.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2014

A four year old died from the enterovirus this past week. It scares me. My son has asthma.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 6, 2014

To me the entrovirus is way more terrifying!

8. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 6, 2014

The Plague 2014

9. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 6, 2014

Is the enterovirus only causing paralytic effects in asthmatic patients? I've definitely been following the Ebola scare, but not the enterovirus scare at all.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2014

Both are in the back of my mind. Way before these diseases came out, I saw a TV documentary on just how easily a disease that once started way in another country can suddenly appear right in our own backyard & it was scary!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2014

I am keeping an eye on the news, for sure.

12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2014

It has caused some to have paralytic effects. I saw a Dr discuss this virus on television. She explained that it is in the same family of viruses as Polio. She has, in the past, seen this type of virus have neurological symptoms that caused some paralysis which was long-term but eventually was reversed. This type of virus can effect the nervous system and brain which is why paralysis can happen. The other effects is problems with lungs, and that has been more in immune-compromised or asthmatic populations. Some of these children have died of the secondary symptoms of the virus much like people who die of pneumonia with the flu.

It is frightening. We do have to remember though, we hear much more about these things these days. News travels fast. Things once not reported over and over are now on the TV 24/7 making it seem bigger than it is - not saying that paralysis and deaths are not each tragic.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2014

If it is your child, this is huge. As a scientist, to only have four deaths where the virus was present, not necessarily implicated, is rare. I do understand that those with respiratory problems are prone to more complicatons, but this is not a new virus, and has been around for quite a while. I think that the fact that the testing for the varied viruses has improved more than the incidence of the virus, in this case. Ebola scares me more, but I think that once doctors become more adept at looking for that, it will not look like the same disease as in Africa - our medical care is so much better than the best they have to offer, and outcomes and mortality rates will be different. I don't want the disease, too be sure, but I think at least it isn't an automatic death sentence in this country if you have access to good medical care. I fear the disease in the homeless, and the IV drug users who share needles - that is a scary scenario.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2014

I read a really good article about Ebola the other day, and I wish I could remember where. Basically, it said that that virus poses VERY little risk in the U.S. because it is not airborne. The reason it is spreading so quickly through Africa is because of the state of their health care systems and our cultural factors (like family members washing the bodies of deceased victims).

(I found it in my internet history: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/10/this...what-you-need-to-know-about-ebola-in-the-u-s/)

Now, I haven't followed the enterovirus as much, but I agree that it is much scarier...

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

I will say again, any death is tragic. We do have to look at the true risk. You are much more likely to die in a car accident than die from one of these viruses.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2014

Without a vaccine for these viruses, we must just be vigilant, but not crazy. The sad thing is that if there was a vaccine for them, there would still be deaths, since not everyone would get vaccinated. Children are still dying from some of the childhood diseases because the parents refuse to vaccinate, so nothing is fool proof. :dunno:

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 7, 2014

I can see it spreading faster because people aren't keeping their kids home from school when they are sick. They send them to school with a variety of ailments and whatever they have keeps going around and around.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

The enterovirus worries me more than Ebola, mostly because i'd be more susceptible to it than most - I have a history of respiratory illness and of a not-as-strong-as-most immune system. One time, asthmatic bronchitis turned into walking pneumonia with me never noticing - even when it got into my heart and caused scarring.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2014

The enterovirus is more scary to me than Ebola...and I live fairly close to Dallas. Ebola is not airborne and from what I've read does not have the capacity to become airborne.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2014

The biggest fear is that Ebola will mutate to an airborne virus. Hasn't happened yet, and seems in many ways to resemble HIV, but not in the infected for life sense. Please don't anyone take it that way. As a scientist, I just see similarities between the two viruses in structure.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

Or send them thinking "if it's bad enough school will call."
    :dizzy:

22. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

I truly understand and agree that it spreads because kid will come sick, but what is the threshold to keep kids home? How many days do you want them to miss? We read all of the harshness about kids missing lots of days of school and how they are responsible for their make-up work, yada, yada, yada. What is the threshold where parents should keep kids home? They wake with a stuffy nose? Sniffles? A cough that could just be a morning cough? Fever (yes, according to all school rules)?

I'm not asking to argue, but it is a balance between when to keep home and when to send especially since there are lots of kids that get this virus and it is like the common cold. So, what is the balance. Should the schools communicate this balance to parents? Should schools be more quick to send kids home?

I remember H1N1 sweeping through the local middle school. It was almost shut down. By the time the kids and parents realized they didn't have a cold, they had already spread it. Then teachers had already set the tone about not missing school unless they were really sick because getting behind makes it too difficult to catch up.

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

"Enterovirus D68, the respiratory virus currently sickening children in Canada and the U.S., normally causes mild cold symptoms such as fever, runny nose, sneezing, cough and muscle aches. Most children recover on their own.

The current outbreak across North America has been unusual in terms of both symptoms and scale, says enterovirus expert Rafal Tokarz of Columbia University in New York.

Four deaths have been linked to the virus, though not conclusively.

"The virus has never been associated with such severe symptoms," notes Tokarz. "But at the same time there has never been such a large scale outbreak."

Tokarz says little is known about enterovirus D68 and very few scientists have worked with it."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/enterovirus-d68-faq-on-an-emerging-respiratory-pathogen-1.2786890

This may be a lot like a cold but perhaps a new strain. I just think as teachers we need to be more alert and aware.

24. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2014

Enterovirus scares the heck out of me. My son has severe asthma.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

I worry for my asthmatic son as well, which prompted me to post this thread. He has had lung issues much of his life.

26. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2014

Yes. I have read that. Many kids will have the mild symptoms though and still have this virus. Not all kids will be severe.

So, my question still stands when we talk about keeping sick kids home.... what is the threshold to keep them home. Fever is already a reason where parents should keep their child home, but what about a runny nose? sneezing? cough (how bad)?

We really can't have parents keeping every child with a runny nose home. Can we? For how long?

27. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2014

I think that when there is something extra nasty going around (for example, when an illness is making the front page of CNN and the CDC is issuing updates) parents should be extra cautious and schools should loosen up on excused absences.

I taught at a school that was super strict, so everybody came to school sick, which meant that kids were always sick and a great deal of productivity was lost.

At my current school, sick kids tend to stay home, so it's really not a problem. Kids are sick less often. It's on the kid how motivated they are to make up missing work, but for the most part the kids who don't make up work and fall behind were probably behind already for off task behaviors.

Especially in high school where kids have smart phones, computers, access to class websites, etc, there isn't much reason for kids to fall behind over an absence unless they were really sick.

28. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 7, 2014

The enterovirus does not affect adults. My doctor said I don't have to worry and I have Cystic Fibrosis. He said just practice usual hand washing around crowds. I also have 5 month twins so it is a concern. But I just think about all the other diseases they are more susceptible to. I mean, more kids die from the flu each year than of this virus. For the overwhelmingly majority of kids this wont be more than a cold. I would assume parents of asthmatic kids would hopefully always be more vigilant around fall/winter time.

This is why 24 hour news isn't always a good thing in my opinion

29. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/about/ev-d68.html

Adults can get infected with enteroviruses, but they are more likely to have no symptoms or mild symptoms.

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2014

Should everyone who has an upper respiratory infection, or what appears to be a URI, be tested to see if the infection is the enterovirus? I am guessing the answer is no. Is this important if you are the most vulnerable? Yes, but can you reasonably expect every URI to be accurately diagnosed (which virus), or do you just try to protect yourself with good hygiene?

31. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 8, 2014

Sometimes other things get misdiagnosed as URIs, too.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2014

I guess if you have any doubts don't send... I had a mom send kid to school even with her eyes pink... (we didn't have nurse..small school)Sent child to office think it's pink eye...nope. Well child didn't come next day mom said to me well I figured school would send home if it was... UGH...thanks for exposing the whole class & countless others....

33. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2014

It isn't about me sending anyone.

Other posters talked about kids coming sick and how parents should keep sick kids home. I agree. Sick kids should stay home. Pink eyes should be checked out.

Here we are talking about symptoms of this virus can be severe in which one would hope a parent would keep a child home, but they can also be mild like a traditional cold and the student can be every bit as contagious as a student with a fever and a hacking cough.

Since it is teachers saying parents should keep kids home so this enderovirus doesn't spread, I'm still asking for that threshold and not getting an answer.

Being that I have read complaints in the past about parents that keep their kids home when they just have a runny nose and a little cough but no fever, I'm really wondering what those posters who said they hope parent keep their sick kids home what they really mean by "sick" since a kid with a runny nose and the enderovirus can spread the virus to another student who may end up hospitalized, paralyzed, or dead.

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2014

What I would hope is that a parent would exercize reasonable care and consideration when evaluating the child before sending them off to school. Yes, afebrile carriers are out there, and they share the virus. Can I tell the difference between virus and allergies? No. Best parental judgement.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 8, 2014

Yes, but when these parents are sending the kids in with strep throat, diarrhea for a week straight, high temperatures, excessive coughing, and so forth...if they can't exercise good judgment with these SEVERE symptoms they certainly won't with milder symptoms that could mean they have the viruses.

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2014

I think that parents should keep their kids at home whenever they can reasonably assume that their kid is or might be contagious.

37. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2014

Here is what one site said: "Respiratory viruses like EV-D68 can be shed (passed from a person's body into the environment) in your stool for several weeks or longer after you have been infected. The virus can be shed from your respiratory tract for 1 to 3 weeks or less. Infected people can shed the virus even if they don't have symptoms."

Yep. Best advice is wash hands, don't touch face, wash hands, don't touch face. Have the school scrubbed down every day. No sharing supplies. Masks might be a good idea.

38. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2014

Sadly, the US has experienced its first death attributable to Ebola

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2014

I had a child last year that had DOUBLE really gross infected pink eye, and legally we couldn't send him home. It spread through the class like wildfire! I cannot believe he wasn't made to stay home! I'd be mad as a parent of a child in that classroom who had to deal with this because the parent didn't keep him home! Message: We can't rely on parents to do what is right. To me that is scary.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 9, 2014

I agree. Some only keep their kids home if it is convenient for them. Way to go putting their children first!! :dizzy:

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 9, 2014

One parent told the bus driver, "Timmy is sick today but he can't stay home. Hopefully he will be better at the end of the day". :banghead: