EBD students and assaults on staff

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kinston, Sep 25, 2007.

1. kinston

kinston New Member

Sep 25, 2007

I am curious to hear what the norm is for handling and deciding placement for physically aggressive EBD students. I've been in special ed for close to 10 years, but I am now teaching in a new state and my particular district makes some strange decisions.

We have a female EBD student in high school with multiple disorders (conduct, OCD, ODD, Bipolar) and parents that enable her. She has an instructional assistant with her at all times (who is always subjected to verbal assault, and sometimes physical) and she is also sexually explicit and inappropriate (borderline harassment)with both staff and students. She is taught in a small room by herself for most of the day, but the room is connected to other rooms and her tantrums are incredibly disruptive and frequent (at least one per hour). She has been taught by her mother to use her disorder as an excuse for anything and everything, from not doing her work to hitting someone. Her parents also insist that because she has a disorder, the school is not allowed to issue consequences for any of her behavior. The student is also very aware of this and enjoys rubbing it in the staff's face daily. The district seems to cave to her parents wishes due to fear of a lawsuit. The student has hit 4 staff members in one year (she is close to 300 pounds by the way). One staff member pressed charges, but the district dropped them after parental pressure. The latest staff member would like to press charges, but the administrators have more or less told her not to, and that until it's another student that is hurt "we are not concerned". Is this typical???? Where I came from, a student with such serious behavioral issues would be in some type of alternative learning facility. I truly believe that she is not in a residential treatment facility because the district does not want to have to pay for it. The district does have an alternative school, but there is no speical ed teacher on staff.

I really enjoy teaching EBD kids and I know that their unpredictable, and sometimes volatile behavior comes with the territory, but I'm rather disgusted by the district's lack of concern for staff safety. Since I had a much more supportive administrative teams in previous schools, I'm hoping this is atypical.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

3. Momm23

Momm23 Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

Students and assult on staff

I teach High school sped in NC and we take our BED (behaviorally emotionally disabled students seriously. I just had an emergency IEP meeting for a student who assaulted a staff member. We first did a manifestation determination meeting and then placed him on Homebound. He will receive services from our Homebound teacher 5 X a week for 45 minutes each day. He has re-entry goals, etc. If he has not met his goals or his behavior on Homebound has not improved we will leave him there until we feel he can return to school. The staff member he struck has pressed charges and he has to go to court for assault.
    We don't put up with what the parent wants when it comes to striking staff or other students. Our priority is the safety of the students and staff that work with these students.:)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2007

I'm sorry, but when your teachers and staff are getting assaulted that student has crossed the line and the admin (not caring what the parent will do) have to step in and see that something is done. I'm not sure why the district could drop the aide's charges. That's a personal matter and the aide did it individually right? I don't think the district has the right to dismiss.

Also, when did it become okay for staff to teach in a situation like this just to appease the parents?