eBay

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Margo, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 23, 2003

I have never shopped at eBay before. I know it is a very popular site so it must be safe. I am very particular about internet shopping. I love amazon and trust them completely. Is eBay just as safe? Has anyone ever run into a problem shopping there? (other than maybe shopping there tooooo much ;) ) Any advice you can give me before I take the leap would be appreciated.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 23, 2003

It all depends on the seller... You just have to examine their feedback history and buy according to their payment terms. They may accept checks and money orders and most will accept PayPal. PayPal is my preferred method because it's instant. PayPal also now offers insurance for your purchase so you can get a refund later if the transaction falls through.

The "safe" part of ordering through the Internet would be in regard to your payment information. Sending a check or money order to the seller is between you and the seller. If you send payment via PayPal, PayPal is responsible for the security of your information. It is a popular service which I have used for 2-3 years. It is now owned by eBay, and I don't have any reservations about using it.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 23, 2003

Hey, I just got started this summer and have made only two purchases but both went off without a hitch. My advice is to be sure to read all the details very carefully before bidding on an item, so you know exactly what the item is like in terms of quality. Also be sure you understand the shipping costs, because that is where it can get spendy. Read carefully, and have fun!!!

5. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 23, 2003

Thank you both for your replies. It does sound like it is safe and I am always one to read the fine print. Now I just need to decide if I want to spend the $$$$$$.

6. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 23, 2003

I just wanted to tell you that I agree with Amanda. I use paypal when purchasing from ebay. I have purchased quite a few things there and haven't had any problems. Have fun!

7. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Aug 23, 2003

I used to work for eBay (don't anymore, like the kids MUCH better). However I did work for them for 5 years and know a lot about it. I have bought many things on there, and have never had a problem. You need to read the sellers feedback and read the auction carefully, but it sounds like you are very good at doing that. I used Paypal with many of my orders and have always been very pleased.

If you have any questions just ask. I am no where near an expert but I will help if I can.

8. Irma Nino

Irma Nino Guest

Sep 3, 2003

I sell in ebay

It's great selling in ebay.I haven't had a problem yet.And your'e right... the shipping can be very expensive.Know the seller real good and see how may many stars he has and how long he has been selling.
    It's give you a feedback on the buyers who has bought from him.
    Good Luck