Eating in Restaurants

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 10, 2020

Are you able to dine in at restaurants in your area yet?

DH and I have been doing carry out once a week since mid March when restaurants closed for dine-in. One place in our town opened up last week for patio and in-store dining.

Yesterday I did my first non-essential outing since late February. And with someone other than my DH. A good friend is having a major surgery next week, so I went with her to a nearby city to pick up items for her hospital stay and recovery. We had lunch while we were out. The restaurant was checking people in outside. They were running at 1/3 capacity. I felt comfortable dining there.

Today DH and I travelled to see DSS & his partner. We ate at a restaurant in their city. Again, operating at 1/3 capacity and doing a good job with everything from what we could see.

Now, back to staying home and keeping to myself.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2020

Restaurants here are allowed to open at 50% capacity. They can do more if they can figure out how to do more outdoor seating- some places are using part of the parking lot or sidewalk, and some dense city areas blocked off some streets so all of the restaurants in that area could put tables there as well. This is a really recent development so I'm not really sure how it's going yet.

The thing I wonder about is weather. Afternoon thunderstorms are extremely frequent here during the summer- at some points an almost daily occurrence. This week we've had extremely high winds every single day- not exactly pleasant outdoor dining weather. I wonder how they're handling it if people have reservations and the weather turns or if people are in the middle of a meal and the weather turns. I guess it's all better than being closed for those businesses though!

I was really trying to save money so I made it a long time without even doing take out. I caved in early May and have been getting it once per week. I needed something to look forward to, especially now with not even having work to distract me. I try to look for restaurants that are doing deals. In a couple of weeks I have a friend visiting and we have plans to go to several restaurants. I'm ridiculously excited about actually going to/eating at a restaurant! I guess one thing we can say about this pandemic is that it makes you appreciate the little things.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

I'm in the high risk group, so I'm still only doing take out. I'm still sheltering in place.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

Restaurants are open around here, and judging from parking lots, people are going.
    My husband and I have picked up food several times at places with curbside delivery.
    The only places I have gone are outdoor garden centers.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2020

We do take out quite often but will not go inside restaurants any time soon. They are open at 50% here. I have visited the craft store a few times and grocery shopped but we still get most of what we need curbside. The most positive thing is many of the items that have been unavailable for months are now in stock.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 10, 2020

Here they are open for patio dining only. I see a lot of tents with tables underneath them but they have to be spaced out. My husband's friend builds picnic tables and he got an order for 250 tables to be sent to various restaurants. I personally will wait until I can eat indoors when none of this mask stuff is required. Are you supposed to put your masks on while your'e waiting for your food? In between courses? It just doesn't seem worth the hassle so I will wait.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 10, 2020

Restaurants are also open in my area. However, due to my increased risk, we will only be ordering takeout for the foreseeable future.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2020

Restaurants here aren't open yet for anything other than take-out or delivery. Even when they do start, with all of the restrictions in place, it will be awhile before I head back.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

Restaurants here are allowed to open at 25% capacity with additional restrictions in place. We haven't even had takeout/delivery since everything shut down, so we won't be going to restaurants or anything recreational anytime soon. We only go out for things like doctor appointments, hardware emergencies, etc. We get all of our groceries, toiletries, and other items delivered, and we're forgoing haircuts and other non-essential services for the time being. Since neither of us needs to leave for work right now, we don't see the point in putting ourselves or others at risk until it's clear that that the situation is better. In my area, it appeared that things were better, which is why places were opening up. However, we're starting to see the number of cases slowly rise, now that more people are going out and about.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2020

Restaurants in my county are still doing take-out only. This is fine with me because my family is still pretty much 100% locked down. I’m just not comfortable getting back out in the public yet.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 10, 2020

Did anyone hear about the surcharges some restaurants and other businesses are adding to the customers' bills? They are calling it the Covid Surcharge (up to 20% they say in some places). The businesses are spending a lot of money on sanitation supplies and other necessities so they are passing along the costs to the customers. Would that deter anyone of you from patronizing these businesses or will you wait until the surcharge goes awaY?

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

Small, locally-owned places, I would absolutely still eat there. Larger chains, I generally don't eat at much anyway. I won't be eating in anywhere until at least stage 3, and even then, we'll see.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

The surcharge itself wouldn’t deter me. I figure they are losing a lot of money as is and need to charge extra in order to keep their doors open. I would doubt that most will make significant profits by charging it. I would prefer the surcharge to be a flat rate cover charge per head rather than a percentage of the total bill, but I don’t find paying extra for them to provide a cleaner, safer restaurant to be a deterrent. I’m not going out because I don’t feel safe enough doing so yet, but it has nothing to do with the cost.

Tired Teacher and Caesar753 like this.
  15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2020

I would happily pay a surchange at one of the many small, independent restaurants in my community; they are the ones I have been supporting with take-out. Throughout this entire adventure, I have been much more diligent about supporting smaller businesses whenever I can.

Caesar753 and MissCeliaB like this.
  16. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jun 10, 2020

Outdoor seating only here. I've picked up take out a couple of times.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 10, 2020

I've only been to one restaurant (it was last week when we had our end-of-year gathering). They didn't charge any extra fees. However, when I went to get a haircut this week, my barber had raised his prices. From what I've seen on social media, it looks like most barbers have increased their prices. He says it's due to the cleaning supplies he has to buy for disinfecting.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2020

Here, you don't have to wear a mask when seated at your table. You are supposed to wear one when walking around the restaurant, which isn't too much of an inconvenience considering that's just walking in/leaving and maybe getting up to use the restroom at some point. I haven't heard about surcharges but that wouldn't deter me from going. I'd rather pay a bit more and have those places stay in business. Restaurants run on pretty slim margins as it is. Not only are they losing money on having limited capacity, but now they have to pay extra for all of the additional cleaning and precautions as well.

I'm getting my hair cut next week. My stylist didn't say anything about increased prices but I wouldn't complain if the price was a bit higher. She's given me a teacher discount for years and I want her to stay in business too!

19. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 12, 2020

My barber went up a few dollars because he has to use separate everything for each customer and it's costing him a lot to meet all those guidelines. Considering what it's costing him, he probably didn't go up enough!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 12, 2020

I'm sure some restaurants started having dine-in the week of June 1st. I didn't dine it at them. I personally haven't gotten any kind of takeout since the end of March. I've actually been enjoying some cooking & making some meals I don't normally make. I've fallen in love w/ quinoa fried rice w/ SPAM or some other meat. Shrimp would be great too. I can eat this stuff every 1-2 weeks, it's SO GOOD!

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 12, 2020

I’m starting a new wellness program, so I’m going to be limited in what I can eat for awhile. I did a big grocery pickup today. I’m going to make quinoa fried rice with this plan. I couldn’t find edamame anywhere. I’ll have to find a substitute.

22. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Jun 14, 2020

Outdoor dining is open here. I think indoor dining with capacity limits can start in phase 4, which we might reach at the end of June.

I personally don't plan to dine at a restaurant for a long time, especially indoors. The act of eating and drinking means people won't be wearing masks, and you are in an enclosed space with people talking, etc. for quite awhile. That's just what I'm personally comfortable with. I am going to get my hair done this week since I'm comfortable with the precautions taken by my salon. I've gotten a pedicure. I have gone to a couple "non-essential" retail stores to buy clothes, etc. But none of those had me in close proximity to others who weren't wearing masks for an extended period of time.

stargirl likes this.
  23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 15, 2020

Oh, the restaurants are open here for the tourists and anyone who wants to eat w/ them since the governor decided to wave the 14 day out of state quarantine. Our entire state's Covid numbers were at 200 something for months steady.
    Only older, at risk, or paranoid people..( I am 1 of those now...lol) people wear masks in public. Like if I had to go in some place which I haven't since tourist season. 6 feet distance is not enforced or attempted anywhere that I know of. Most cases were from spring break travel or family transmission.
    It has been less than 2 weeks and our numbers have been on a straight line up. If you can't tell, I am not happy about tourists this summer or the governor.
    I normally went out 2x at least a week for convenience. Friends and family live spread out, so we'd meet in the middle at a restaurant. I will not go back to restaurants until this is over. It is a bummer too b/c now the drives to see family/friends ( who are in our bubble) are much longer. We've agreed to the same terms of precautions.) We are very careful b/c an elderly person is in the mix. None of us even shop, we do pick up if needed and take turns. I have seen pictures of how they have yellow feet painted for the 6 ft rule in TX. They have nothing like that here.
    I really believe we could have kept Covid from getting out of hand out in this state if the governor had kept our borders closed unless you quarantined 14 days. The fish workers for some reason have to be quarantined, but not tourists. The numbers by the time school is supposed to start will be way out of hand.
    The really bright side here is we have 3 months of sunlight and fairly decent weather, as well as land. We can picnic safely and be outside. The thing that really stinks though is once it gets cold and dark here again, it is going to be depressing.