Eating healthy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HorseLover, Aug 31, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 31, 2013

Does anyone have any good ideas for yummy but healthy breakfasts and lunches during the school year?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

My "go to" breakfast is plain Greek yogurt with almonds and berries. I also love overnight oats. Both are quick, fill me up and keep me going until I can grab a snack at recess.

For lunch, I usually take salads. I like having a variety of veggies to put in a salad (left-over stir-fry veggies are my favourite!). I always add some lean protein and either some feta or goat cheese. I'll also have some gluten-free crackers, yogurt and fruit.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

I always have a breakfast shake - Lean1 powder, a cup of mixed berries, a cup of raw spinach. I drink it in the car on the way to work. When I'm not working and have time to sit down, I love Greek yogurt with berries and granola.

Lunch - I usually take a vegetarian soup (last week butternut squash, this week lentil), a veggie to snack on, a fruit (love clementines), and a piece or two of deli chicken or turkey. And a cookie :)

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

My quick, go to breakfast is just a bowl of cheerios and a glass of milk. :D I plan healthy dinners and I always hope that there are leftovers.

I have found that it helps if I have fresh veggies already cut-up, ready to go I'm more likely to grab them in the morning! I also do that with my chips, crackers etc. That way they are already single serving size and I can just grab what I want in the morning.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2013

I like to make breakfast burritos and freeze them. There are a lot of recipes online that will get you started. I make about 30 of them all at once and then individually wrap and freeze. In the morning I microwave one of them for 2 minutes and eat it in the car.

Sometimes I make a big pot of steel cut oats for the week and put in little containers. I reheat it in the morning (yes, it is just fine and you can only do this with steel cut). I like to add all kinds of things like raw honey, berries, brown sugar, etc.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

A yogurt parfait - 1/4 c. oats, a couple tablespoons almonds or walnuts, chia seeds, berries or other fruit, low carb Greek yogurt. Lots of protein and lasts me through the morning. I can eat it leisurely or on the go.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2013

I'm amazed how much better I feel if I have half an avocado before a before-school run, and then eat the other half after I've cleaned up and am getting into teacher mode. Great combination of plant protein and fat. Plain, regular yogurt (NOT nonfat or low fat) is just about as good, and very tasty with a small amount of honey stirred into it.

9. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 1, 2013

Cucumber/Carrot/Roasted Red Pepper Hummus sandwich!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 1, 2013

For breakfast, I like oatmeal with raisins and a dash of cinnamon and brown sugar. I have recently started making smoothies for breakfast. I find adding spinach, chia seeds, or oatmeal helps to hold me over. I make mine with almond milk because I am allergic to dairy. As a treat the other day, I made a chocolate almond milk and banana smoothie. It was delish!

For lunch, it depends on the season, really. Right now I have hummus and veggies or a wrap with lunch meat and a side of grapes. For dessert I have been having these: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/ They are to DIE for. I have 1 or 2, they fill me up, and are totally satisfying. In the winter, I crave soups. I make a huge pot on Sunday and nosh on it all week. I also love roasted root vegetables with sea salt, olive oil, pepper, oregano and rosemary. Stuffed peppers are also great and freeze pretty well if you drain any liquid first.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

Pisces, those look fantastic!

13. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 1, 2013

For breakfast I usually have yogurt and fruit I've prepared ahead of time the night before. It's rare I eat a hot breakfast during the school year.
    Lunch is usually a salad with grilled chicken, avocado, and roasted sunflower seeds to give it some extra crunch. Every now and then I'll pack leftovers or a sandwich. I stay away from frozen dinners because of the preservatives.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

Right now my go-to is Cherrios mixed with yogurt and raspberries. My raspberry plants have done well this year, so I've done this every morning all summer.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2013

One of my go to's is I mix (all are abouts and according to preferences);

3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/3 cup oatmeal,
    two tb. pineapple crushed,
    Craisins
    berries or fruit in season.
    Some chopped nuts, whatever I have.

I mix it together and let it sit for a few minutes. It's kind of a muesli type cereal, but it sticks with me. Or Greek yogurt and whatever fruit I have lying around.

Another fave for breakfast is what I call a cinnamon bun; 1/2 cup LF cottage cheese, 1 TB raisins, sweetner, and cinnamon to taste. It's good and filling as well.

I want to try a make ahead in the slow cooker oatmeal, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2013

Glad this thread popped up again--it reminded me that I need to boil some eggs for snacks this week!

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 2, 2013

I'm going to try fruit and yogurt for breakfasts this year. I'm usually not hungry for breakfast, but this year my day starts at 7:15 and my lunch is not until 12:30, so I think I'll need it. I have planning around 10 so I could always eat it then instead of super early if I wanted.

For lunch I am going to really try to get away from lean cuisines! I think I'm going to try veggies and hummus this week and see how that goes. I like having something I can just grab easily.

18. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 3, 2013

Over the summer I started making myself smoothies for breakfast. I really want to try to continue it during the year. I use a banana, a couple of strawberries, some frozen raspberries, a few ice cubes, and some frozen orange sherbet. Delicious! I'm not sure how healthy it is at the end, but it makes me feel better and fills me up - which is what counts. Last year, I did Greek yogurt and a granola bar most mornings.

19. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 3, 2013

I love smoothies for breakfast when I have time to make them. One of my favorites is a clean eating chocolate milkshake. Plain greek yogurt, a banana, and unsweetened cocoa powder. It's so delicious!

20. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

That sounds good. And I have a whole container of Ghiardelli's unsweetened cocoa in the cabinet...