Eating habits in school

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by JulieC, Apr 1, 2006.

1. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Apr 1, 2006

I wonder could any of you shed any light on this behavior. We have one little girl in school who is painfully shy. For the first few months she refused to speak to anyone except me - so much so that the other kids thought she couldn't speak. It took her two months to bring herself to eat in the classroom. Since Christmas, she has been fine - she's still not hugely talkative, but will participate with the others and will eat lunch. Over the past two weeks she has come out of herself a lot more and will even approach the other kids rather than wait to be spoken to. This is great for her, but at lunch time, when all the kids are sitting together, she will pick up her sandwich, cheese or whatever and turn around to bite (or sip) so that the other kids won't see, then turn back to the group and chew away. What's all that about? I can understand her not eating at the start, but she seems to have gone forward in one area and back in another. Does anyone have any tips or experience in this area? She's a lovely kid and I'd love to resolve this for her.

3. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Apr 1, 2006

At Head Start, we see a lot of food issues, but I can't say that I've seen anything quite like that. Have you talked to the parents about it? That may shed some light on it.

Also, if she's starting to come out of her shell, maybe eventually she will come out about this, too.

4. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 2, 2006

have you just asked her?

6. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

Never really thought of that!! We kind of pussyfoot around her - on a couple of occassions she has cried in school and to be honest, we try not to push any issue with her as she's generally very compliant. I might try that tomorrow. Thanks

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2006

Is there somewhere else she could eat until she feels more comfortable eating with the others? I've never ran into a situation like this either, sorry. Usually when my kids turn around I tell them they need to sit properly at the table, but in this case, it's a little different so I'm not sure how I'd handle it.

8. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 4, 2006

This is a toughie. You really need to figure out what's going on before taking any big steps, but you don't really want to just ignore it if it's a big issue.

We had a case of this "house devil, street angel" in my field placement last semester. Her mom worked at the school and said she was very loud and didn't behave at home. At school when mom wasn't around she was silent, during playtime she would lay down by herself and sometimes cry for no obvious reason. She would let kids push her around and steal her food at snacktime and not say anything. It was very sad.. whenever her mom came in the room to tell the teacher something, she would just grab her mom and just start balling! Eventually, thank GOD, she got some friends that just really took care of her and would tell on any student that was picking on her.