EAT THIS NOT THAT!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teachling, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

So I bought this book a couple of weeks ago & just started going through it. The first chapter is about the 20 Worst packaged foods in America. I noticed that one of my favorite frozen pizza brand is on there. The #3 is DiGiorno for One Garlic Bread Crust Supreme Pizza. Here's the scoop:
    850 calories, 1,450 mg sodium, 44g fat (15g saturated 3.5g trans)
    bloated crust & greasy toppings = 60 percent of ur day's sodium, 75 percent of ur day's saturated fat & nearly twice the amount of trans fats needed on a daily basis.
    calorie equivalent: 6 slices Domino's Thin N Crispy cheese pizza
    Eat this Instead:
    South Beach Diet Deluxe
    340 calories, 660 mg sodium, 11g fat

Will dig deeper into the book to see if there's anything on the family size pizza we enjoy on occasion.

I'll read through & see what else I find. Anybody else read this book? Opinions?

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I think the book is excellent for getting people to start looking closer at what they're eating and that there are healthier alternatives. I'm not a fan of the book because I noticed a lot of the suggested alternatives were still not all that good for you since they contain high frutose corn syrup or sweeteners, but then again, I'm a huge health nut and really big into nutrition.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I bought one called, Eat This and Live! It's similiar with great photos and helpful nutritional resource information.

5. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

oooh...please share the rest of the worst. Honestly, packaged foods are all I eat when I'm working.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I have seen him on Rachel Ray, he is very interesting. Share some other bad things with us. I do remember him saying the best fast food breakfast is an egg mcmuffin.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

I will share some more when I read further! Will take with me on vacation to read & serve as an awareness of thinking before I eat --- so I'm hoping...:mellow:

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

I agree that a lot of the things they suggest aren't that great for you either, but what I DO like is that sometimes the things you would expect to be worse for you really aren't. Its just a reminder that just because something sounds healthier, it isn't always.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 22, 2009

The sodium levels always amaze me. My blood pressure was running a little high and I really started to pay attention to amounts of sodium in foods. All those frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine that you think are better because they are lower in calories, soup and the one that really surprised me - ketchup are all high in sodium. People who eat fast food and get a Big Mac and large fries with ketchup are eating 2 days worth of sodium.

I am a label reader and when I'm shopping people always look at me funny, I want to say-you should be reading labels too!

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

I am so with you regarding sodium & reading labels, Kindercowgirl! When I was doing the point system with Weight Watchers, I found that Progresso soup had a version that was zero points base on the WW system. What I didn't realize was that it was high on sodium.

I just wish that these programs offered more clear guidelines so that you have all the info. While the focus should be on calories, there should also be guidance on sugars, sodium, etc.

11. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I know packaged foods contain a ton of sodium. They are just so convenient to pack for lunch though. Are there any packaged foods that don't have so much sodium??

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

Packaged foods usually will say on the label that they are low on sodium or contain no salt. Progresso soup does have a soup that states on the label that it is low on sodium. Also, I cook a lot with tomato sauce & I make sure that I buy the one that has no salt since I add my own seasonings.

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

I read the one about the fast food places and my beloved Chipotle chicken burrito was in the 'worst' category. I calculated what it is in Weight Watchers points and it was something like 25 points! ( I get the burrito with rice, pinto beans, chicken, mild salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole) Oh how I love it!