Easy way to handle classroom voting without computers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lemonhead, May 30, 2016.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2016

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been on here in a long time. I'm here to ask a very simple and kind of silly question regarding classroom end of year awards.

Each year I give a list of awards to the students along with a class list. They vote for the student who is the "Number Ninja", "Headed to Hollywood" and more by writing the name or class number of the student on the line next to the matching award. Then what happens is I start doing the tedious job of tallying everything and it seems to take forever. Does anyone have an easier way to do this without the students using a computer? Our Chromebooks are all packed up.

I thought about putting out paper bags with each child's name on them and then the students put little squares of paper with the award vote on it and the person's name into the appropriate bag. That way I can just empty the bag and see what the student got. Then again it sounds like it could be a mess with the kids cutting up the ballot page.

See. Simple and silly but my team and I couldn't think of an easier way.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lemon

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 30, 2016

Students on calculators are just as efficient!

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2016

I don't understand how I would use that? Do you mean have the students calculate the tally marks?

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 30, 2016

There's Plickers: https://www.plickers.com/
    If you're willing to use your cell phone, it could be a way for them to choose out of a pre-defined list of 4...though that doesn't sound like you'd have that. Check it out, at least!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 30, 2016

If the students are competent on the calculators, yes, the students tally.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2016

I could do that if they were voting for songs, but my administration would frown upon me using them for these awards because it could hurt someone's feelings if the calculator kids started talking about how the voting went. It's a great idea though.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2016

I like Plickers! That would work but I have 25 awards so I would have to only give them 4 choices for each right? They can't do the same person twice. You may be onto something.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 30, 2016

If you could somehow narrow it down to a top 4 for each one (placing extra kids in as needed to ensure each kid is in at least a few of the votes)...you could end up looking over the results and assigning each award to either the top vote getter, or if there's a student who hasn't got an award, find the one they did the best in?

It'd almost be easier just to control it yourself -- I'd worry about quieter, less popular students not getting voted for much, or for a "lesser" award. You know each of their strengths though, and could play on that. It'd save tons of class time, too, on top of still being exciting for everyone to get their awards that I'm sure most of the class would agree with if done right.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2016

Good point Mathmagic. I'll talk with my team on this and see what they think. I'm kicking myself for not doing last week when we still had computers.