Easy way to hand back papers...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lives4Math, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Does anyone have any ideas for easy way to hand back papers without taking up too much time? I teach middle school math, so I have over 100 students and see half of them each day. I always forget to pass back papers myself...Ashamed to say that I've been known to find stacks of papers still ready to hand back from the 1st 9 weeks somewhere around Christmas or later. I've had people suggest that I have a student in each class responsible for passing papers back each day for me, but then I run into the problem with students seeing other students grades and that being a problem with the principal as well as parents. I like mailboxes but I'm thinking that's just a pain with so many students. Even if I kept folders for each student we have to find the time to pass them out, collect them, or have time for each student to go up and get their papers out of it before class ends. Ideas????

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 3, 2009

If you file the papers in folders, the students could be responsible for picking them up on their own. They could vary when they picked them up, before school, after school, before class, at the end of class, when they finish their work in class. And would it have to be every day?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

EAch of my classes has a file folder in the vertical file on my desk. When I finish a set, they go into that class file.

Part of the heading I type onto EVERY test or quiz is Period__ row__

I sort the papers by row-- I don't care about individual order within that row.

As the kids enter the room, I put their papers on the first desk in each row. It's totally painless; they have their stuff back before the period begins.

Any absentee papers go back into the vertical file.

5. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Hmmm...That's a thought. Maybe each student gets a folder and every Thursday/Friday papers get handed back. I can call them by rows while they are working on the warm-up or while they are copying homework.

6. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

You could have your students fold their papers in half, like a hot dog (along the longest line of symmetry) and have them write their name on that side before they hand it in. Then students that hand them out don't see their work/grade.

7. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Alice: The only concern with that is again, they see each others grades. Problem with principal & parents.

8. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Wendy: Good idea!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I have a large folder (expanded nylon ones with an opening on the top) for each class on a bulletin board in the back of the class. I do allow students to pass out the papers that are back there but I don't put tests or labs there because of privacy. I grade with a points system so there usually isn't a percentage grade posted on the top.

10. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

My students all have mailboxes that are labeled with their names. As I mark things, I put the stuff in their mailbox. Of course, I only have about 50 students.

11. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I did this for summer school, and it worked nicely. I had one table designated as the "hand back station" I'd put all the papers there and arrange them in a vertical "fan" so that the students could see their names and have them pick up the papers themselves. It goes quickly. I recycled the papers every 2-3 days (laid out left to right--so I'd recycle the left side first). Anyway, that was a class of 20, but we met for 4 hrs/day so there was a lot of papers. I haven't tried with multiple classes, but you could put tape lines on the table and divide by class. It worked better than file folder etc and was EZ for ME, which is ideal (I'd love to do an individual file per kid, but that seems like a lot of sorting). Last year, I had a file folder for each class and each day assigned a "paper passer backer" (put name on board) it was that student's responsibility to pass papers back--it was worth a few points. BUT, some kids elected to not get the points and it still ate up class time (albeit not MY time).

12. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 3, 2009

On every paper I grade, the score goes on the back of the page (opposite the side student names are on) and I have a student hand back papers - they know there is no reason to turn the papers over and they know if they turn the papers over there are consequences... during the first week of school we have a big discussion about confidentiality and what it means and why it's important to keep confidential things confidential. In the 2 years I have done this, I have had only one student try to turn a paper over (and that one time, the other kids called him on it and made him feel worse than I ever could have).

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

I remember doing the hot dog thing in school! I have had kids put their name on the back of their paper & then who ever is passing out is only seeing the name.

14. glen

glen Companion

Aug 3, 2009

This is what I do. It works very well and the kids appreciate it.

15. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I think I'm going to try the hot dog fold and name on that side thing. It might add an extra few minutes to my grading and recording grades, but it seems worth it to be able to hand the papers to a student as they come into the room to pass out for me!

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

I also do the hot dog fold.

17. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

This might come a little late, but you could assign student numbers to each student, and have them put that on top instead of their name so that is confidential, and then have somewhere in the room where part of the routine (beginning of period, or end of period) they have to get their papers out of their folder (I would picture one for each period). Personally, if they didn't get their paper out by the end of the week (or some other designated point), I would trash it. It is already recorded in your gradebook, so if they or their parents later wonder what they got, you could look it up, and I think as long as you explained clearly your pick it up or it gets thrown out policy, I think you would be okay.

For the record, I hate returning papers too. Actually... I love teaching, but I hate all of the paperwork side of it... permission slips, tests, seatwork, homework, bleh. I wish sometimes that the system was like college, where I could have a team of TAs do all the "dirty work" and I just teach. :)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I didn't read all the posts here, so excuse me if I repeated someone, but how about having a box that fits a stack of papers & as you grade things, you put them in & for a couple min each day at the end of the day, you let the kids, either row by row or table by table (however you have them seated) & have them get up & find their names & get them? Maybe you could only do it every Friday towards the end of the day. Just give them 2-3 minutes per row or table & actually say times up & if they didn't get everything, they'll get it the next time.

By the way, since we're on this topic, this is a little different, but I've always HATED how teachers lick their finger to grab the papers to hand out to students! It's not sanitary! I remember my teachers doing it when I was a child & me thinking, I don't want a paper w/ someone else's saliva & germs on it! :mad:

19. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

you could also try one of those file crates with a folder for each student. I use numbers so that I can reuse the folders every year. If you have multiple classess you could have a crate for each or you could label each folder with period and number (A-1 or 6-1, etc) I have one trustworthy student file papers in each and I choose someone who would not look at grades or at least comment on them, but you could file them yourself. Once a week students could collect their corrected work.

20. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I agree with the post a little bit above, students can be assigned a number (i.e. 1-20 and then have the student abreviate the period/class) instead of writing their name. Then, I think you could have a student who puts the numbered papers into the numbered folders for the week. Rotate students weekly.

21. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I use mailboxes. I allow two students who are finished early to file papers into the mailboxes. I have never had a problem with them looking at others grades; they usually are racing to see which person can file the papers the quickest.

22. lauranne26

lauranne26 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

My students sit in tables. When I collect papers, I have them make a pile at their table. Then when I pass them back, they're already sorted by table and I just put each table's stack on the appropriate table. Easy peasy!

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

24. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 5, 2009

Have your students fold their work long ways and write their name on the outside. You can write the grade inside so that a student can hand out the graded work without seeing the grades.

25. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

Lives4Math - if your main concern is other children seeing grades, I have a procedure change to recommend to you -

Have students fold their papers in half, lengthwise when the turn them in, and write their names on the outside. That way, grades are on the inside and not seen.

I haven't read all the posts yet, so I apologize if this has already been said.

26. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2009

I don't recommend letting students pass out papers for you--- I saw that my students would take forever with doing the task because they were looking over every kid's work! If each student can have a folder, you can put the work there and let the student pass out the folders, so they can't look at the papers.

27. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 5, 2009

If you put it in a folder, you'll still have the same problem. Students will have to shuffle through the folders to find their papers and they can still flip to see everyone else's grades.

28. prek176

prek176 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I assigned my students numbers. While they worked on a daily math problem I was able to quickly put the homework papers in order to see who was missing. After grading the papers the grades I was quickly able to enter the grades in my book. Because each child had a folder I was able to also quickly sort the papers into the folders. I have to admit that at times I did pay one of my own kids to sort the papers for me. On Fridays the papers in the folders went home. One funny thing was that even though some of these kids had had numbers since 2nd grade one parent actually thought that I had changed her son's name to #11 and that I would be calling him #11 in class instead of his real name! Because of his issues he apparently wasn't able to relay this acurately to his mother (even in 5th grade!).Turns out she has some serious stress,emotional things going on and once I explained that it was for organizational reasons she was onboard. Made for a laugh but this is a system that actually works well.