easy papermaking?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

Is there a simple way to make paper, suitable for a classroom? Preferably one in which the actual process takes less than 1/2 hour (not including drying time, which doesn't need any involvement)

We're learning about China and I think this could be a great craft to do, but I am not about to go make frames and screens and whatnot.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/makingpaper.html

This site gives a pretty simple process to make paper that I used when I was in school.

You do need frames but all you have to do is staple a piece of screen over an old or cheap picture frame. You could make those up ahead of time, and the pulp as well.

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 3, 2008

This is how I was told to do it with my kids. Our other K teachers have done it already but I didn't do it yet!

Have the kids tear up old paper or newspaper into little bitty pieces. Soak the pieces in warm water. Put the papers into a blender and turn it to mush. Then you put the mush onto a cookie sheet or just another big piece of newspaper and roll it out flat. The thinner it is the quicker it dries. They give it a little while then turn it over. One says put newspaper under it even if you use a cookie sheet because it will collect some of the water left in the paper.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Apr 3, 2008

I do it every year. Now the way our kit does this process is really quick (about 5 minutes per child,) but I am not sure if it will result in what you are looking for.
    1. Use cheep TP and put about 10 pieces in a bottle.
    2. Cover the paper inside the bottle with water and shake (not long at all!)
    3. Pour mixture over a screen
    4. Put a second screen on top and push water out.
    Leaving both screens still in place, soak up extra water with a sponge.

The paper is pretty small and like I said may not be what you are looking for, however I had groups of 6 kindergarten students finished in under 7 minutes!