Easy math centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nc3teacher, Jul 31, 2008.

1. nc3teacher

nc3teacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I want to have some easy to use (year round) type math centers to use everyday during the last 20 minutes of our math class. Ones that I can make on my own are best, but I don’t mind spending a little bit of money, especially if you include supplies. I don’t have much so far, but what I do have is: flashcards (they seem to love those!), and using playing cards to make up equations, etc. Any suggestions you have are greatly accepted, especially if they are ones that can be used at the beginning of the year and for all different abilities. (It’ll be a few weeks after the start of school before we get them put into their ability groups) Thank you so much in advance!

Also- Any cheap manipulatives you can think of?

3. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I found something at a teacher store this summer that I'm really excited to use. It's a puzzle with the numbers 1-9 on cork board. I paid about $3.00 but I'm sure its something you can easily make. The goal is to get all the different rows/columns add up to 15. I was going to make some sort of a mat to help my 3rd grader's understand the concept. I'm really hoping it will keep them occupied (maybe a prize if they can figure it out) and will reinforce basic addition facts (because they'll keep adding up the three numbers to try and equal 15). I know it kept me, my fiance and my parents occupied until we figured it out. I hope it will do the same with my students :)

4. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Here are some websites that have games that are easy to make. I also bought a lot of manipulatives from target and the dollar tree. For example the DT had a pack of eight mini cars that I use for board games as well as these mini dogs that were in the toy section. Target had a pack of mini animals in their dollar section. The dollar tree also had little jems that were under the sea creatures etc that can be used as manipulatives

http://www.ourclassweb.com/sites_for_teachers_learning_centers_math.htm

http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/math/number_families/main/index.html

http://www.brokenhilld.det.nsw.edu.au/card_games.htm

5. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

How about dominoes for equations; math puzzles to match either time or money w/ the picture; tangrams; roll dice to make math equations; computer websites for facts where they have to see how many they get right in an allotted time,..