Easy, fun holiday crafts/activities you do each year?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Dec 14, 2008.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 14, 2008

I'm trying to plan for the upcoming week (nothing like waiting until Sunday) and I want to do some fun holiday activities. It's my first year teaching, so I don't have a collection of activities. I know there are a million online, but I thought I'd ask you guys. What are some holiday things you do every year that your class always enjoys?

3. cycourt

cycourt Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

i'm in the same boat! :) looking forward to responses

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2008

We make the cinnamon applesauce ornaments.

1 cup cinnamon
    3/4 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup elmers glue (or similar)

I triple this recipie for my class and the kids usually make 2 or 3. Mix it all together and leave them out for 2 days to completely dry.

The kids use it like playdough and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and then let them dry. Don't forget to poke a hole in it with a straw so there's room for a hanger if they want to hang them up.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 14, 2008

Ooo that sounds like fun! We're making the handprint ornaments as gifts for parents, but maybe I'll save the cinnamon applesauce recipe for next year!

I thought of one fun thing: reading The Gingerbread Man one day, and The Gingerbread Girl the next. After reading both, I'll introduce Venn Diagrams and we'll compare/contrast both stories. Then, we'll decorate our own gingerbread men (or girls). Hopefully I can find some pre-made gingerbread cookies at the grocery store. I even thought of asking someone in the school (the principal?) to hide our cookies at lunch (like they ran away), and we'll go on a little hunt to find them. Not sure if I'm going to do that part, but I think they would love that!

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 14, 2008

We are doing a Polar Express unit this week. We will read it on Monday (I will read it to them). I have a tape and CD for the listening center. I downloaded a couple of emergent readers that go with the story to read in small groups. I don't remember the site but I am sure google will get you there. On our short day we will wear our PJs, watch the movie and drink cocoa.

Other units, Gingerbread-I sent home a naked gingerbread boys for the kids to decorate with their families and put them on out BB when they came back. (I sent it home over Thanksgiving break) We make gingerbread houses using clean milk cartons and graham crackers. Decorate with white icing and a variety of candies.

Snow-We painted scenes with snow made from shaving cream and glue. I use about half and half. It stays puffy when dry. We did one using a color, cut and paste gingerbread house and gingerbread boy and another using a sleigh and reindeer.
    Snow family ornaments made by painting their fingers with while paint and gripping a blue plastic ornament.

We also made candy cane ornaments using red pipe cleaners with red and white beads.

7. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

I have had kids paint glue on pinecones and then sprinkle glitter on them. They turn out looking like frosted pinecones. If you tie ribbon on them, they become a quick ornaments!
    This year I had kids paint a big pop sickle stick brown. Then glue on two crazy eyes, a pompom nose, and two puzzle pieces for antlers. The reindeer were super easy and so cute!
    Have fun!

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2008

We're going to do a Holiday Around the World. We found a copy of a passport. There are 6 teachers at our level. I"m taking on france. I am going to read Babar et le Pere Noel, then we're going to make NOEL door banners. The other teachers are doing Holland, Mexico, Italy, Israel, and Australia.

We made clay ornaments. I put them in the kiln today. We'll probably glaze them Tuesday.

I took a green piece of paper and the kids spiral cut it. I printed out a light bulbs on lots of different colored paper. the kids glued them on and we strung them across the hallway all the way up and down our hall. It looks so festive!!!!

BUT they just announced a two hour delay tomorrow.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 15, 2008

I have some ideas for holiday math, literacy, and art activities on my website for teachers.

10. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Dec 15, 2008

we are making reindeer food- mix dry plain oatmeal with a dash of glitter in a snack size ziplock and attch this poem:

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
    The moon will make it sparkle bright

As Santa's reindeer fly and roam
    This will guide them to your home.

or for non-christmas themes:
    Sprinkle on the lawn at night
    The moon will make it sparkle bright
    Winter Rabbits hop and roam,
    This will guide them to your home.

:woot: