Easy (and hopefully cheap) gifts for the parents?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cosmoteach, Dec 16, 2008.

1. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Dec 16, 2008

Hello! I have waited until too late to have my students make anything complicated for a holiday gift for their parents! And, I am out of money and can't buy many materials. Does anyone have an idea for an easy gift/card that I can have the students make for their parents? I would really apperciate any ideas!

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

You can do snowflake ornaments. Glue 8 craft sticks together to form a snowflake. Let the kids paint and hot glue yarn to hang.

4. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008

We made3 different things that we put in a gift bag to take home to parents this year that were all cheap and easy and used most what we already had in the classroom. The only things we had to buy were the ornaments, cinnamon and applesauce. I had everything else already.

1 - We made little angels on light blue construction paper using the child's handprints in white paint for wings, and their arm print in yellow paint for the body. When the paint was dry we cut everything out, used a picture of the child's head for the head of the angel and a gold pipe cleaner as a halo - glued it all together, wrote the year on the back and laminated them. They were hilarious and cute. Definitely a parent melter!

2. Another parent favorite- we dipped the kid's hands in white paint and had them cup their hands around a round class christmas ornament. It creates a snow scene - their fingers are snowmen and their palm is the snow. When they were dry, the kids used colored sharpies to add eyes, noses, hats, scarves, etc to the snowmen and I wrote their name and the year. We did these with glass ornaments but if you wanted to go cheaper you could get plastic ones from the dollar store.

3- The third thing we did was to make applesauce cinnamon ornaments - 3/4 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup glue & 1 cup cinnamon. Just roll it out, let the kids select a cookie cutter, cut it out, poke a hole with a straw for ribbon and let them dry. I bought the cinnamon that comes 50 cents a bottle - (6 bottles) and a jar of applesauce for about $1.25 so it all cost less than $5! I substituted a little cinnamon for glitter to make them pretty. They turned out great!

Hope this helps!

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2008

Mine was along the same lines as Kat...except we didn't do the armprint...just made an angel gown from a *lacy piece of paper cut into a triangle (oh darn! what are those things called?!). I also added a poem and then we laminated.
    Very cute, simple and free!
    Parents love stuff like this!

*it's called a doiley!! LOL now; is that spelled right? If you don't have any paper doilies...by all means just use a piece of white paper.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 22, 2008

Last year when my neice was in kindergarten they made reindeer out of construction paper and the teacher typed up poems that each of them wrote, and attached them to the reindeer. They were SO cute, because she wrote the poem by herself and it was the most ridiculous poem. My mom, brother, and I laughed over it until we cried.

So, a good gift doesn't have to cost a penny.

7. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

Do you have a camera? Take a group picture and go to CVS. You can put borders on the pic and write on it for no extra cost. I bought 30 prints for 8 bucks.

The parents loved them! A lot of them cried. I also used them as gifts for my family members.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 17, 2009

You can do that right at Walgreens, too.

I think I'll do something for Valentine's day with their picture on it. Hmmmm I smell a new thread.

By the way, welcome to A to Z Kteachone! You have some good ideas and suggestions on your other posts, too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2009

and speaking of Walgreeens :D (one of my favorite places!!), you make a collage of pictures for the parents, but it will cost you about $4 a collage :(.

I made two of them for our Christmas unit and I'm going to give them to two of the best classroom parents around! They're going to be tickled pink!

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 17, 2009

valentine's day w/kid pictures

How about this one below? It's from my Valentine's Day page

[​IMG]

11. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

Thanks, lemon!

Vanna that is ADORABLE! How do you do that?