Easter Plans and Meals

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Brendan, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 22, 2011

What is everyone doing? I honestly have no idea as my MIL who lives with us is nearing the end and am not sure what we will do.

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

Sorry about your MIL....

We are going "jeeping" ........ where??? I don't have a clue yet, but it will be fun.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 23, 2011

I'm sorry about that Brenden. Is she in the hospital?

We are going to the USO on base for some kind of Easter Extravaganza. It cost $10/pp for unlimited stuff. Not sure exactly what stuff except it will have bouncers, slides and an egg hunt. Supposed to have other stuff too. Kinda vague.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

I'm sorry about your mother-in-law, Brendan. It's difficult to think about family dinners and celebrations at a time like this.

We always keep things simple. We had our "big" dinner yesterday; my son came home from school for about 24 hours and my sister and her SO came. I have to take Alex back to school today and then the rest of the weekend will be spent catching up on sleep and school work. We have lots of leftover ham and turkey, so meals will be very low-key.

6. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Apr 23, 2011

So sorry to hear about your mother in law. :(
    Our day will consist of running, running, and more running. We will start with church, then go to see my mother in law and sister in law and nephews for lunch. Then we will see my dad's huge extended family for an egg hunt and grill out. Finally, we will end with a big ham dinner with my mom's huge extended family. If possible, we will see my father in law at some point during the day. Oh, and my husband is working so when he gets off he will catch up with us.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

Sorry about your MIL....makes the Easter gospel more poignant this year, I'm sure.:love:

I host brunch for family on Easter...we may take brunch in the road due to my raccoon situation...good news though is we got up this morning and mommy was in the cage. :huh:

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

I am so sorry about your MIL, I will keep your family in my prayers.

My husband and a family friend who is a mason are doing the front walkway of our house. The weather right now is rainy and they plan on working on it tomorrow. All depends on how mother nature wants to behave.
    We can't go anywhere so my inlaws are coming over and I am roasting a chicken, making mashed pototes and green beans. Last week for Palm Sunday we had a family dinner and had ham, and dh doesn't like it so I am doing something simple.

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

We go to my mother's for Easter. We've always had an egg hunt for the kids but it's going to be rainy and since the kids are age 13 to 24, she decided to skip it. So now she would like her "teacher daughter" to come up with something fun for the family to do.
    NO clue. Anyone? We did one of those fun gift exchanges for Christmas but I don't know what to suggest for Easter.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

We don't have any family nearby. I'm making our traditional holiday meal: ham, green beans, dinner rolls, deviled eggs, etc.

No egg hunt for us. . .kids are 15 & almost 19. We'll go to church in the morning. That's it.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 23, 2011

Sorry to hear about your MIL = (

My daughter will be going to a church egg hunt this morning then to a child's safety fair then later, decorating eggs. Tomorrow, I plan on hiding eggs for her in the morning and then we will go to church. Dinner...nothing special. It's just her and I.

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 23, 2011

Prayers for your mother-in-law.
    I am in Boston visiting my son and daughter-in-law. We are going to brunch this morning at a Scottish restaurant then off to the Museum of Science. Dinner this evening will be at an Indian restaurant. Easter Sunday I will attend services a local church (looking forward to this) and then my son is preparing a ham dinner. This time I'll be bringing home the leftovers!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 23, 2011

Sorry about your mother's poor health, Brendan. Last Thanksgiving, I picked my mother up to go to my sister's house, and had to take her to the fire station on the way because she couldn't breathe. They checked her and told us to go to the ER. However, my mom decided she would go to the Thanksgiving dinner first.

This is the first time in years that I am hosting a holiday at my house. It will be a fairly simple brunch. I've invited about 10 people. We'll have ham, hash brown casserole, salad, potato salad, coleslaw, cheese platter, pie, cheesecake. I might make a lemon bread and will probably dye some hard boiled eggs, but all our family kiddos are now too old for a hunt. The youngest is in 8th grade. We invited a friend with a baby so we could all enjoy her!

"Who could have known that a lamb would save the souls of man?"

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 23, 2011

We were supposed to go to my BF's parents, but they told us yesterday (after we called them) that they didn't feel like cooking so we shouldn't come. We made a run today to Honey Baked ham and picked up a mini ham and a cajun turkey. We'll make some green beans, carrots and mashed potatoes to have with it.. oh and rolls. It's just the two of us, so afterwards we'll portion it out for meals and lunches for the rest of the week. I think BF wants to make a ham salad.

15. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Apr 23, 2011

Sorry about your MIL.

My husband and son are sick. I ran to Walmart for a quick dinner. We were going to go to a family BBQ but the boys are not in any shape to go.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 23, 2011

She's hanging in there. Looks like we'll all be having brunch at my house. There will be at least twenty five of us there with her. Family is so important.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 23, 2011

Just staying home with hubby. I'm making a small dinner when he gets home from work. We will visit relatives next weekend. I would have them all over to my house but grandpa isn't feeling well so it's easier if we go down there to vist.

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2011

Sorry to hear that :( Sending good wishes her way!

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hoppy
    Easter!

I Wanted to make the Rice Krispie Treats Eggs from the commercial...but I never got around to it and then bought Struffoli and Carrot Cake from the bakery so it would be too much with that too....they were just so darn cute! Did anyone see them/ make them?

My grandma likes to make Jello Eggs...she has the molds that Jell-0 had you send for like 15 years ago...I don't think anyone ever eats them, I asked her to make rainbow cookies instead this year, lets hope she complies! ;)

Since Spring Break is centered around Easter, I usually go away...trying to pay down the student loans this year though...2 years ago I was in Argentina on Easter-we found 1 coffee shop/bakery that had chocolate bunnies, 3 years ago I was in Germany-It was so funny to see they hung the plastic eggs from their trees-now this year I saw it on a bunch of houses, and 4 years ago I was Disney....This year I'm in rainy NY! blah!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 24, 2011

Both of my grandparents were very ill during the Easter season, and so was my dad a couple of years ago. It does make things different, doesn't it?

This year I am going to services with DH. He works at a Methodist church in their praise team. I attend a Christian church. This weekend we've been at MIL's house. I'm taking everybody out for lunch. MIL is packing to move, so her house is a mess. She doesn't like to cook anyway. If we had been home today, my mo would have cooked.

I'm going home later today. DH is staying to help with the sale of the farm and moving. It supposed to storm today. I hope it holds off while I'm driving.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2011

Just staying home, relaxing a bit, reading, cleaning, and working on this week's lessons. First year ever with no Easter plans...

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 24, 2011

My sister and family just called to cancel due to illness. They're kind of like the light of the party ordinarily .... Oh well, I'm looking forward to seeing the others. And eating lots of leftovers.

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 24, 2011

We will have a quiet Easter. GS got his basket this am, and most of the candy is gone. DD is working, so we will have a ham dinner tonight after she gets off work. Ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and some kind of dessert. Guess I better go make it.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

Methodists are Christian..Did you mean you go to a different denomination Christian church?

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 24, 2011

My church is nondenominational Christian, so we're just referred to as "the Christian church" around here. Mine is named "Name of the Area" Christian Church. I don't know what else to call it. I know they're all Christian.

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 25, 2011

Sorry about your MIL. Perhaps being around a lot of family members will lift her spirits. We had a few family members over for dinner-only about 8 in all. I made ham, broccoli, roasted fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes, pineapple casserole, croissants and raspberry/blackberry pie. Since we have no little ones for an egg hunt, we always have a "scratch-off" hunt. I buy about 20 $1.00 scratch-off tickets and hide them and it is a riot to see the adults running around hunting them down. Yesterday we had 5 winners-not of much though!

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2011

Brendan, glad you were able to enjoy the day with family.

I got up at my parents' house and found my Easter basket. lol. Yes, I am 30 and still hunt for my Easter basket in the morning. I got some DVDs and some cutting boards and a scarf. I dumped the candy into my dad's basket.

Then we went to church and I then to my nana's for dinner and the egg hunt. Our hunters are 11, 2 14 yr olds, 15, 18, 24, and 25. lol. It's a tradition so we still do it. But I noticed the older "kids" weren't really interested in the candy, just the game of hunting the eggs, so I think I am going to talk to my mom, who fills the eggs, about hiding empty eggs and whoever finds the most gets a Target gift card or something. The scratch offs is a fun idea too.

I told my nana she should just take a $100 bill and put it in one eggs and hide it really good and then set us loose in the yard.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 8, 2012

We're going to a Chinese buffet restaruant (which we won't hesitate to eat on various other holidays too.)

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 8, 2012

I played bells at a church, brought breakfast home for my hubby, and I'll grade papers in a bit. We usually go to the MIL's, but we are so tired this year and would spend as much time driving as visiting. We'll probably have fast food for dinner later.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2012

Funny this opened back up today as there are other more current Easter threads...

Spent the day with my parents...beautiful weather here.

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2012

Heartwarming Easter with our son and 7 year old grandson, who was CERTAIN he heard the bunny last night and sure enough the bunny left him a basket on the front porch. We made chocolate covered strawberries and he colored two dozen eggs before going out on a treasure hunt.