Easter Baskets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Apr 1, 2007

I tell you they all love gift cards. Dunkin Donuts, gas cards, restaurants, fast food, etc. Granted, they cost more than candy, but they do like 'em!

2. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 1, 2007

We always put the baskets out for the Easter bunny to fill. (Although I like the idea of the powder and bunny tracks. ;) )
    The Easter bunny always leaves the kids a note too so they are watching their p's and q's throughout the year.

In the boys' baskets, they will get:

a book
    a pair of swimming trunks
    a swimming towel
    a card game
    candy

In the girls' baskets, they will get:

a book
    a swimming suit
    a swimming towel
    a small toy
    candy

3. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Apr 2, 2007

I just love this thread! I so enjoy knowing that only teachers are so organized that they have formulas for filling Easter baskets! I thought I was the only one! It's dawning on me that we're almost all like that! ;)

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 2, 2007

When our son was little, I used to pull apart cotton balls and make a trail from the front door to his filled Easter basket.

Now that he is 21-years-old - I don't do that anymore! I think that I am going to get a bucket and fill it with a chocolate bunny, jelly beans, and gift cards (grocery store, Skyline Chili, gas card, etc.) A poor college needs that stuff!

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 2, 2007

Yesterday when we were moving two bookshelves in our bedroom, the girls were helping me clear out behind one of them, they found some "Easter bunny" pictures..............................

my oldest just asked why did I take her pictures ment for EB???
    a few years ago she found Santa's pictures in my dresser drawer, I told her they were so good that I wanted to keep them for ever. She isn't fooled by the Easter Bunny at the mall either, but still wants her picture taken with him. ............ I think we only have a year left before the BIG TRUTH comes out.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 2, 2007

CutnGlue, that was too funny for the Story about your husband and the Easter Basket, I would have still eaten the marshmallow bunnies, just pluck the grass off............ Some times the Easter bunny leaves stuff for me and DH if he has extra things with him that year.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 2, 2007

My 7 year old just asked if the tooth fairy was real. I asked him what he thought. He said he thinks the tooth fairy is real. Okay, then why would you think the tooth fairy wasn't real. He said many kids think it is the parents. I asked him if he thought we did that. He said no. There's your answer.

A couple of years ago my oldest figured out Santa was us and he approached me then too. I used the same line of questioning. Except this time my oldest told me he thought we were Santas. I asked why. He gave some pretty provocative points and I was very impressed with his line of reasoning. None of it was peer based. So I looked at him and said, you are right. But let's not tell your brother just yet okay?!

8. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Apr 2, 2007

My husband and I play secreat EB to our friends. We hire a babysitter Saturday night (of course we hide our own kids stuff first).
    Then we secretly play EB by going to all our friends and leaving straw and treats otside on their door steps. We seriously are gone from 10:00-3:00 in the morning. No one knows who it is yet as we leave one for ourselves too. Plus we hire a babysitter no one can check on. The funny thing is they wait up for us...then we hit the back door or such. We dress all in black, no headlights, park blocks away, you name it. It's a fun date for hubby and me. It's even more fun in church the next AM hearing friends wonder and question.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 2, 2007

That is SO much fun!!!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 2, 2007

These ideas are great :) I like the E. Bunny card (I think I can make some up) and the idea of leaving the baskets out to be filled. I think I'll start a scavenger hunt for the baskets with clues in plastic eggs this year. I love that kind of stuff.

I don't think I have received an easter basket since I was, gosh, maybe 6. Boo hoo!

Anyone give Hubby one?

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2007

This will be the 20th anniversary of the Bunny Run::) Each year a bunch of friends and myself... fill plastic Easter Eggs... meet at a local diner, chit chat and then about 12 midnite we all drive all over the place and leave filled Easter eggs on our other friends lawns.... One year, I didn't participate and you should have heard the calls I got... people really missed it. The Easter Bunny got alot of hate mail that year:(

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 2, 2007

Super idea, I love it!!

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2007

Hey Shelly,

You never know, the Easter Bunny may find you too:D

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 2, 2007

:) :) :)

15. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 2, 2007

My mom stopped giving us baskets when I was in middle school! We went from baskets to special Easter decorative plates, with candy in them. Then sometime while I was in high school the plates disappeared and were replaced with a box of our favorite kinds of specialty chocolates from a little shop in upstate New York. While I kind of miss the basket, those chocolates are better than anything you get in the stores and it requires a special day trip from someone in the family to get it. No matter what the form of our Easter candy, it has always been accompanied by a solid chocolate cross or Easter bunny.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2007

Well, It's my first married Easter and Mom & Dad just dropped a basket off for me an my hubby! (I'll be at the in laws for Easter) Gift cards, candy, body wash, coffee, an some other goodies!!!

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 3, 2007

Aww, that is so sweet! You must love having that kind of relationship with your parents. Happy Easter!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2007

I hit Target for the stuffings today.

Chocolate bunnies, tons of other candy, sunglasses, flipflops (both 2/$8 at the Disney store :) ) sidewalk chalk, bubbles...

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

I wish things would have stayed simple with Easter baskets, etc. It was such a treat to get an Easter basket with a chocolate bunny, jelly beans and some dyed eggs. My mom used the same baskets year after year and I thought they were the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. There were no toys or gadgets of any kind, just candy and eggs in that big old basket year after year. i hate how things have become in that regard.

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

I totally agree Grammy! Every holiday seems to be a contest with Christmas...

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 3, 2007

I think this year I'll start our tradition, pieced out of this thread's ideas! We'll use their baskets from last year, which they will set out on the front porch the night before, for E. Bunny. I'll make a scavenger hunt with pictorial clues hidden in plastic eggs, to lead them to their baskets. They'll follow it until they find their baskets.

They will have a chocolate bunny, jelly beans, and a spring flower bouquet tied with ribbon.

I can hardly wait! Now, how to buy the candies and flowers without them being with me ???

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

I love the flowers Shelly!

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

Beautiful idea, Shelly!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2007

Honestly, with 3 kids getting baskets, I'm glad to find something small besides candy to fill them with. That's a LOT of candy otherwise :)

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

Just use LOTS of Easter grass, Alice! I do like those paddle ball toys, but not good for really little ones with the choking hazard. Easter baskets are all about the candy! Then you get all the leftovers!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2007

Who needs leftovers? The EAster bunny makes a very nice basket for mommy and daddy too!!

But it wouldn't be an Easter basket in my house without sunglasses and bubbles, I don't know why!

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 4, 2007

This thread has inspired me. I think I'll buy myself some Easter basket goodies and just skip the part where the bunny leaves it out for me to find.

I want one Reese's Peanut Butter egg. Just one. If I had more than that, I'd eat them all.

28. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 4, 2007

I still like easter baskets :) I think most of us do. Afterall, there is a child in all of us. I'm trying to figure out what to put in my husband's easter basket. He thinks I'm so sentimental sometimes :p I'm figuring a DVD, some granola bars, and a pair of boxers. What do you guys thinks?

P.S.- BMAK, when I have kids, I would love to do what you mentioned. I think it's adorable!

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

My husband's favorite too

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

My husband would be as excited about an Easter basket as going shoe shopping with me. Just get him some booze and wear something sleezy.

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Too funny

32. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 4, 2007

Who is BMAK, what is adorable? (I'm curious :) )

I bought two plastic easter buckets today. I'll put my girls' names on them with puffy paint. They can use these for years. I also bought two plastic "crystal looking" bud vases they can put their flowers in on their bed tables. And one plastic box of jelly beans each, and a chocolate bunny each.

Now I just have to wait til the weekend to get the cut flower and make up the baskets. Can't wait!

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 4, 2007

I also bought my husband a four pack of Scotchmallow eggs - so he can share them with me. One of my girls wrapped it in homemade paper and hid it under her bed. :)

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

Oh I wish I had some little girls to do stuff like that, Shelly! We do have our little grandson, who happens to love Dora(and Diego,) but Dora is his favorite. I got him a Dora metal pail for his Easter basket. I am putting a bit of candy in it and some little toys. I hope the weather is decent so I can hide it outside. He will put on his red rubber rain boots and lion cap and discover it near the garden!

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 4, 2007

I am so pleased that many little boys love Dora. Somehow, she has dodged the kiss of death (being a girl) for little boys! My daughters also love Dora. She seems to have Kid appeal.

And I wish my girls had grandparent nearby. I did receive two Easter bags for them from my dad & stepmother today. They'll be so pleased :)

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2007

I wish someone would make me an Easter basket! I wish I would have thought of this sooner and started something at work. We could have exchanged names, just like at Christmas. Darn. Maybe we could do something for May Day!

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2007

Oh yum! Those don't last more than a couple days in our house. They are simply the best! YUM!!!

38. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 5, 2007

BMAk's Easter Idea

Someone asked me what BMAK did. It was up on the first or second page I think :p Above is the quote. Hmmmm, I might be adding a little bottle of something special for my hubby in there as well lol, but do I really have to go shopping for more clothing?

39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

OK, so I posted earlier that my family "doesn't do" Easter baskets any more.

BUT...

my boyfriend's mom still does. ;)

This year, she got the plastic pail-and-shovel combos from the grocery store and added candy and something small to each of them. I got a beanie baby penguin (I LOVE LOVE LOVE penguins!), he got a wierd "psycho babble" dog that does this wierd barking thing when you push it's tummy. It's hilarous and I told him to ask his mom here she got it because I want one too. Cute little something coupled with chocolate. :) She told us that she got funny looks in the grocery store... someone asked her how old her kids are as she was getting stuff for the baskets, and they laughed when she told them "2 25-yr-olds, a 22-yr-old and a 24-yr old." :)

If his sister and her bf had come home, apparently there would have been "a 4-way egg hunt." Instead, he gets to take their "baskets" on the bus with him back to school. He's THRILLED.

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2007

My 7 year old said, "wow, I can't believe he knows all of our favorite things." He had this incredulous look on his face. He said, "I'm impressed. This is good stuff." Hehehe..

Now we did talk about why there was a cross and a Jesus book included. So his book was on the 10 commandments. My oldest book was "Jesus wants all of me." It has short (1 paragraph) excerpts on common dilemmas or things to think about, a scripture on it, and appealing clip art. I'm not sure he will read it without prompting, but I want them to know why we celebrate Easter.