Easter Baskets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2007

So, do any of you grown ups get Easter baskets? Do any of you moms still give Easter baskets to your grown up children? If you do, what do you put in them? If you don't, when did you stop giving them Easter baskets? What else can you tell us about Easter and how you celebrate or don't celebrate?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 29, 2007

My mom moved out of state 2 years ago, but up until then, I still got easter baskets every year. The last one she gave me included the requisite candy, a potted plant, a paperback book, and funny socks (penguins skiing). I always got a pair of funny socks in my baskets from about age 12. If I went to visit for Easter this year she would definitely have a basket ready for me. I think she'd make me a basket until I gave her some grandkids to spoil!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2007

My 13 and 16 year olds (not exactly grown-up, but they think they are) would kill me if they didn't get their Easter baskets. They get lots of chocolate (of course), usually a book and a movie. My dad always still bought my sister and I a chocolate bunny for Easter; I'll miss that this year.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2007

My Jeannie will get a basket with those flocked bunnies from Dollar Tree, an egg with her name and a choc. rabbit. Kevin, 20, will get a movie, a choc. rabbit, and maybe a few dollars. Jeannie likes money, too, though...

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Our Easter baskets are full of home stuff... and a some chocolate too:D

I love love love Cadbury chocolates!!!!!

No peeps... I hate those:(

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 30, 2007

My mom stopped giving us Easter baskets when I hit college ... I was so mad at her! I'd still like to get one, although she won't make them for us anymore. We do usually get a white chocholate cross ... it's sort of a tradition. Other than that nothing though.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

I like the idea of a potted plant. I'm thinking of doing one basket for my son and his girlfriend. They don't live together, but spend lots of time together, so they could fight over the basket...although I don't want to use a basket because neither one needs anything like that cluttering up their houses, so I am thinking of just a small box covered with tissue paper. Ok what else should I put in it? They are trying to eat better, so not lots of candy.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2007

one year I got one of those popcorn buckets(instead of a basket) and in it was movie gift card, book, some cute socks and a little bit of candy - resses eggs my fav!

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Tanner is getting a basket and I usually hide the eggs he dyes too for him to find on Easter morning. I don't put much candy or chocolate in the basket. I usually put inexpensive toys in it. However, this year I did get him a plug-in video game for it as well. I went a little more overboard this year knowing it is his last year as an only sibling. And I found Underroos! Anyone remember those? I found him a Superman set! He'll be thrilled. :D

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Oh...I am 30 and my mom still puts together little treat bags for me, my brother (who is 23), and my hubby......:)

12. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Mar 30, 2007

I stopped getting Easter baskets when I hit college as well. Every year prior, my mom would stuff a basket full of sweets.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Jen Underroos...AWESOME...had the wonder woman set as a kid!!!
    Hubby bought some fun toys when they went on clearance after Xmas...probably be giving those. We don't do a lot of candy either...peeps. We hide plastic eggs, but dye the others!!! We put either treats or buy some matchbox type cars to put in it as well. I'm thinking of the new color wonder books as well, and we just got a hand me down leap pad, that only came with one book so maybe a book or so!!!

My mom still puts a little something together for us...my gram usually does as well!!! Usually what's left over from the grandkids!!! Oh well leftovers taste just as good!!!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Oh forgot...Grammy, my mom gave us our Easter stuff in a wastebasket size basket one year ( I think we got spring jackets) and then we were able to use the basket as wastebaskets in our rooms!!! I had that thing for a lot of year!!!

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

ME TOO! She was my favorite! :D

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Me three:)

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

How about some Soy chips.. those are so good and kind of Healthy junk food. :)

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2007

Hahha, guess what I got for an Easter basket?! They both have a cat, so I got these cardboard litter pan inserts(it's something new,) they come two in a package and are as big as the litter pan. I threw in some pretty tissue paper and added cracker jacks, one chocolate egg thing each, wrapped mints, jelly beans, and two rather large gold and silver plastic eggs that I put ten bucks each in, then wrapped the whole thing in this big Easter bag and tied it with raffia. It turned out very nice , oh and so much for the healthy snacks! Oh and 2 paddle ball games. Got to have a toy.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2007

How about things to do, now that the weather is getting nicer:

sunscreen, sunglasses, internet pages of local things to do, playing cards, Yahtzee or something similar, lemonade mix...

20. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 30, 2007

I'm 33 and my mom still gives both me and my husband easter baskets. She is unusually good at figuring out what we need and getting that. Like one year, we desperately needed new pots and pans, so she bought some and put extra things in the pots, like spoons and candy. She has done the flower thing to, and I planted them and it is still one of my favorites! The pollen is pretty bad down here at Easter time, so one year, she fixed a bucket up with car washing stuff and a couple of gift certificates to the car wash. No matter what the main gift is, she always includes a chocolate bunny. :)

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 30, 2007

I got an Easter basket until I hit college. We always hid the colored eggs at my great-aunt's house until the one year we didn't find one we had hid and my great-aunt did a month later. She still reminds us of that every Easter. I'm glad I wasn't there when she found it!

For my own family, we hide the plastic eggs with clues as to where the Easter bunny left the basket. This year my step-son's basket is going to be hidden in his own closet! When I was growing up, the baskets showed up on the porch as we were getting ready for church.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2007

I got married last summer and moved out so I think that last Easter was my last one getting a basket.......unless she surprises me with one this year....you never know...she did send a little valentine's day treat over this year...mabye well get an Easter one too!

23. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

My mom still does the Easter Basket thing for us. My siblings, their husbands, and I all are in our twenties. Usually we receive candy and spring-themed items like socks, mugs, etc.

Even though we are grown, my dad LOVES dying Easter eggs so much that he has continued every year. He would even hide them for us. Thank goodness there are grandkids now!

24. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 31, 2007

When my kids were little they got baskets with the candy, some money, a movie and a book. The Easter bunny hid them and they had to hunt for them in the morning. There was always an egg hunt at home and at the family gathering.

As they got into their late teens, I noticed the candy stayed in the baskets and wasn't touched. They would still be hanging around the house at Halloween time if I didn't clean them out!

Neither of my kids are big fans of candy anymore, so now I give them little gift bags with a few gift cards in them and maybe a trinket or two. And a gift for their girlfriends if they have one at the time!

I stopped getting baskets when i went to college. That's ok. I am just happy if the family can be altogether on the holiday.

My younger son has taken charge of dying the eggs every year. That's one tradition he's not ready to let go yet, and that's just fine with me!:love:

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2007

I did this when I first got married as well..The bad thing I don't like eggs to eat, but hubby does!!! We still color eggs now that we have lil' ones!!

26. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

I can't remember the last time I got an Easter basket... probably around the time my younger brother decided he didn't believe in the Easter bunny. Ours were never particularly elaborate anyway... mostly just come candy and a stuffed bunny or two.

My bf's mom usually gets me a little something, though. And I can count on $5 cash in a card from my aunt and uncle. Every major card-sending holiday (except Christmas, when I get more), without fail... Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween. :)

27. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 31, 2007

A friend thinks I am crazy for doing this, but my boys leave their basket out for the bunny to fill. Does anyone else do this? I also sprinkle powdered sugar, baking soda, baby powder (whatever I have that is white) with some glitter on the fire place and leave bunny tracks in it. We also leave the bunny some carrots and milk. Hallmark has the best cards that are signed E. Bunny, and the boys each get one of those. I don't think it is overboard, but my friend just shakes her head every year. :)

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 31, 2007

My stopped too when I was younger with the baskets. Last year we each made one for each other. This year I went to CVS bought a small basket and a few things of chocolate candy.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2007

I love that idea. I think some of my fiends put their baskets out...guess it saves on hiding them. Hubby would never go for paw prints!!!

30. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 31, 2007

I guess I go all out for my kids (still young and believing in the E. B.) they put out baskets for the bunny and carrots and water. I love filling them. And I do and Easter egg hunt in the back yard too.
    The main things in the baskets this year are:
    sports water bottles (re fillable, different colors) stuffed bunnies, chocolate bunnies, game that flips a ping pong ball up and you catch it, frisbees for the boys and bath poufs for the girls, little chicks that wind up stencils and pencils a few small chocolate eggs and a plastic egg with hershey kisses. and kit kat bars that look like bunny ears.

My mom still does a little something for me and DH (and for the kids).

31. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

My brother and I used to put out our baskets on the table before we went to bed, they were always filled in the morning. We left notes for EB, and we'd always get a reply. Oddly enough, we never connected that EB and Santa had identical handwriting. ;)

32. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2007

I am making reese her first easter basket and one for the hubby. Reese's will have bibs and 2 books in it. My mom made me one last year but I don't know about this year...she said she made one for the baby but didn't mention me!

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

Growing up we never had Easter with my mom. We were always at my dad's house. He and his gf/ now wife, always put out basket and had an egg hunt for us. When I stopped going to my father's house (high school), I stopped getting a basket. But six years ago, I started getting one from my bf's mom. So now I always make sure I am at her house for Easter.

34. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

The family that "adopted" me in college (a program thought our campus ministry) always invited me for Easter if I was staying on campus... they have 3 kids, and there are a couple of cousins in the same age range. They always hid the plastic eggs with money, candy, trinkets inside them. Each kid got a different color egg, so they were hid differently depending on the kid's level. I'd never really done that before with more than just my brother, so it was a LOT of fun watching them find them and open them up :)

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 31, 2007

I remember one year when I was in middle school I didn't get all the normal chocolate that I normally got. I thought I had the coolest basket because I had all this neat stuff. I found out later (when I was older) that it was because my dad (who had custody of me) requested that my mom not put candy in my basket. She had just a little.

My mom sold Easter baskets that she made herself one year at a craft fair. Most of the people that bought baskets did so for grown children or spouses. My mom gave us baskets also until she had grandkids. Now because all of us are sprawled she doesnt' do it unless we are visiting in town. We all hand down her tradition and do our baskets for our own kiddos.

My husband grew up in a home that didn't do Easter baskets because it wasn't religious based. I understand that. Well when we were dating he got his very first Easter basket and we did an egg hunt. I told him we would exchange baskets. So he bought all the stuff I told him I loved in my baskets. I got this basket and wondered where it was. All I saw was fake grass. He thought he was supposed to hide all of it under the grass. To fit it all in there, he even opened the marshmellow bunnies and broke them apart and hide them in there. Needless to say, the bunnies didn't get eaten because they had grass stuck to them. Ewww. Heehe.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2007

When we were growing up, we always had Easter baskets, but never had a hunt for eggs. With my own kids, we started having an Easter egg hunt through the house. We always had to take the eggs they found and put them into a community basket because my son always found about twice as many as my daughter and she ended up yelling and crying (how fun!). We stopped the hunts last year as my son now sleeps until the early afternoon and the eggs would all be found by then.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 1, 2007

hahaha that is so funny!

38. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2007

YES!!! I do, I do! That is how my mom and dad did it for us as well. We would fill it with Easter grass then at night while we were sleeping the Easter bunny would fill it and hide it.

39. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 1, 2007

I will be heading out this afternoon to get things for my 17 and 18 year old daughter's baskets. Luckily my older daughter will be home from college for the week-end. They do like candy (especially the one who gave up chocolate for Lent!), but I also put in other stuff - hair things, fun pens and notebooks, a CD, new socks, a little cash, etc.
    I don't remember receiving an Easter basket after I started college, but that was a long time ago, so I might be wrong!

40. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 1, 2007

my mom always says that she would have no problem filling a basket for me, but it's my grown brother who she wouldn't know what to put in a basket, so she doesn't do one for either of us. I guess there really isn't anything (except candy) to put in a basket for a 21 year old guy.

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 1, 2007

Does he like gaming, playing with model cars, or how about a gift certificate to a restaurant to take his girl out with. Along with some chocolate, comics, unique candy, stress ball, old toys like those clacker things you spin around, chinese finger yo-yos, swinging pendulums, a watch, glow in the dark star stickers, a poem to remind us what Easter is about (if you are religious), a cool pen and more candy.