Earth's Core/Rocks Ideas

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by BarnyardCats, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Does anyone use anything fun and well, "cute", for demonstrating the earth's core? Playdoh or M&M's inside marshmallows...?? :p I would like some good, easy, and cheap ideas. Also, what types of activities/projects do you do for rocks and minerals? We are going on a field trip and that will take care of fossil-making and plaster of paris so I don't have to worry about that! :woot: Thanks for any ideas.

3. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

To demonstrate the layers of the Earth, I bring in a peach. The kids get to cut a section into the peach and see the 3 layers- pit=core, skin=crust, and the juicy fruit=mantle. They love doing this.

4. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I had my students make an edible model last year - a nut inside (something fairly soft) covered in a thick ball of peanut butter and then coated with ghram (sp?) cracker crust. We put it in the freezer for an hour, cut then in half and then drew a diagram of the layers. The peach thing sounds a lot less messy though!

5. kidsarespecial

kidsarespecial Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Layers of the Earth

Here's an idea I did with 2nd graders when I student taught and was observed by my prof.:
    It was a culminating activity...
    I made vanilla cupcakes and layered them into the pan - I added food coloring to each layer...then frosted them with chocolate.
    The kids were "earth explorers" - they each poked a straw into the cupcake and gently blew their "sample" out onto a paper towel. I had them record and identify their findings...after repeating this a few times - they ate the cupcake! They loved this and I doubt they will forget it!

6. KatieS

KatieS Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

We used boiled eggs. The only problem is it stunk up the room.

7. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I use peaches, cheeries, plums etc... anything with a big seed in the middle works.

8. scooby

scooby Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

try a peach or avocado

9. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Apple

I just decided to use an apple- no mess, easy, and the inside of the apple is the core. Thanks all!