Earthquake!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mrs. K., Jul 29, 2008.

1. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

True, but our on-post housing didn't have basements anyway...and our entire bottom story was pretty much nothing but windows. Considering you can't be upstairs, can't be near windows, and we didn't have a basement...where the heck was I supposed to go to hide, lol? Much happier to be here again. :)

2. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

Actually they are telling us not to do this. They are saying door frames are not made the way they use to be. The safest place is under a sturdy piece of furniture.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

Oh, good info yarnwoman and 3littlemonkeys...that is important, and good to know...

I'm sending some more posters over here...so they can share their stories too!

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

I grew up in California, and last night I had such a vivid dream that I was in an earthquake - I woke up and didn't know if it was true or not! Then when I got up, the earthquake was on the news. I find that weird.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

bonneb, tonight will you please dream that I won the lottery?:D

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

Me too

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I just talked to my cousin (4 miles from the epicenter) everything is ok

8. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

So far, all I've seen on the news is the typical post-quake footage of grocery items fallen to the floor, minor wall damage, etc. Mostly just stuff being knocked over. This quake was something like 20 or 30 times weaker than the Northridge quake, so it doesn't surprise me that there was little damage, overall. Also, this felt to me like a gentle swaying, more than a sharp jolt--I am curious now if the bigger ones that feel joltier are the kind where the plates push together and the smaller/gentler ones are the ones where they pass parallel to each other...or if that is all in my head, lol. I'm researching for tomorrow's likely lesson on earthquakes, in anticipation of student questions. :)

It also seems like the really jolty ones usually happen in the middle of the night, lol--although that could just be the mental jolting at being woken like that!

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

As I understand each number on the Richter scale is 10x the preceding number a 5 is 10x a 4 and a 6 is 100x a 4

wasn't the Northridge a 7 something?

10. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

6.9, I think. I thought I'd read that each number was 30x greater than the previous number, so a 6.4 is 30x greater than a 5.4, etc. I will have to re-google. (What on earth did I do before the internet, lol?)

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

We went blindly into the night

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

You looked it up in your Encylopedia Britannica or Funk & Wagnalls, only you were missing P and W since they were .09 cents at the store, with a $25 purchase, and your folks didn't buy any more groceries, and the promotion ended! :lol:

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

me three...

can you dream I found another job??

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

My family is in the San Diego area, and I have a lot of friends in Orange County - all of them felt it. It made me glad to have moved from there to Arizona, where quakes are much less common. I do have to say though, that the occasional earthquake is nothing compared to the devastation of hurricanes and tornados that seems to happen every single year!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

hurricanes I don't know about, but tornados are truly few and far between. They don't wipe out an entire neighborhood. They only happen certain times of the year, based on the weather. Earthquakes don't have a season.

Tornados can skip your house, and pick up another. (think the Wizard of Oz)

I would like to hear more from hurricane area posters. I don't understand how someone could live that close to the water, knowing there is a threat to my existence every summer. And when it happens, you come back, and rebuild. That I just can't deal with. Once my house is torn to shreds, I'd pick up and go someplace else!

Tornados don't have a zone or area. I think it is possible to go an entire year without one, in your area..or not to have severe damage. They look bad, but so does everything else..on the news.

Once we had an entire month of November and no snow.

But I have seen snow as early as October, and had a few 50 degree days in June!

I don't see earthquakes as a form of weather. Weather has a pattern, a season, if you will. You can prepare for it. You know when it is coming. They can give out warnings. Nobody seems to predict when an earthquake is coming, they just tell you how much damage it has done and how big it was. That frightens me. To know all that and you can't tell me when another one is coming?

At least I know there may be a tornado or two in April, May or June. Maybe July or August...but usually too hot, and doesn't rain as much. You must have a mixture of cool and hot air...

So, no tornados in winter! :D

We know for 7 months out of the year, it will be cold and miserable! You dress for it, seal up your house, deal with it, and wait for spring.

Kinda makes these hot months of July and August worth the wait! Anything could happen in May, June or Sept. But us Chicago folks know that winter is winter, every year.

16. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Actually tornados have wiped out an entire neighborhood. In fact they have wiped out entire towns. True they may just hit a few homes and they do have a season. But when they do hit, they are devastating.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

AND that is why I like Arizona we just get hot

18. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

If anyone knows of a place that doesn't have to deal with Mother Nature's extremes, please let me know. I will move there. Earthquakes are scary because you don't have any warning. You can't do much to protect yourself and your family. Yes, you can buy supplies, but in the worse case, you will be pinned by the building and can't help yourself. My worst nightmare! I watched as San Fran fell apart, and I lived through Northridge when I lived in the valley. It felt like you were on a rocky boat with all of the aftershocks.

If the housing market out here wasn't so crappy, my DH and I would have moved already. We can't take the desert heat, fires, and earthquakes anymore. Dealing with the state budget cuts has really pushed me over the edge!

19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

you could come to Montana, but it snows 9 months out of the year, and we have even had snow on the fourth of July. Other than a lot of snow and seriously cold conditions, it isn't that bad. We have an occasional earthquake, 2 or 3 in the past 8 years, that I know of...but that is about it!

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

The Richter scale

The Richter magnitude scale, or more correctly local magnitude ML scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale....
    ... So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2008

For the most part that's true, but the one that wiped out half my town (including the high school and killing one) happened the day before Thanksgiving. We have had some hot Thanksgivings, but that one was cool.

I saw one report where a lady was saying what a good wake-up call this quake was. She said she knew that she had become lackadaisical about preparing for a major quake and many others had as well.

22. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I lived through the Northridge earthquake and I said never again! Just moved the beginning of July to Utah. Funny thing, at my previous school one of the teachers kept saying that we were going to have an earthquake in so cal this summer...and he was right! So glad I moved to Utah--where earthqukes are a lot less common!

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

Glad you guys are ok!

I was just in San Diego a few days ago. Scary.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2008

Aw, Miss Kirby, there wasn't much movement in San Diego: sort of a wiggle, like a horse shaking off a stubborn fly.

25. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I agree! I definitely don't wake-up unless it's really big. I guess that's really showing I'm a product of growing up in Southern California.

I'm not worried about the buildings and freeways around here in SoCal, especially since I was at a newly built shopping center, only about 30 miles away and didn't feel a thing! No one in the store did...so I'd say the building was pretty safe, especially since about a mile away my house did shake a little...

At least everyone is ok :)

26. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I am so glad to hear no one has been hurt! I will keep SoCal in my prayers.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

With the last Northridge quake I remember pictures of railroad tracks being bent.
    When I was a kid I used to play by and on those very tracks, putting pennies on the tracks pumping my fist to get the engineers to sound the horn.
    During the 50s I remember doing duck and cover drills for both earthquake and A bomb drills at Winnetka School.
    We had earthquakes all the time but as a kid it was a fun ride with out buying an E ticket.

28. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

Oh yikes, with the Northridge quake I remember jumping out of bed and running to my parents doorway...and watching our chandalier over the dining room table sway like crazy back and forth....back and forth....eeeek!

They say doorways are fine to be under as long as there is no door, because your fingers can get smashed!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

Yes, you are right...

I suppose on a scale of damaging property and destroying lives... they are equally destructive.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

Idaho? Utah? , Georgia, Virginia? What is the weather like out there?? No extreme seasons that I know of... or coastal shores..

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

see!

32. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I think Tennessee is the least affected! In NC, GA, and VA we worry about hurricaines. I am not that close to the coast, but Hugo didn't stop a the coast several years back!
    Please let me know if I am wrong.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

ok, mommyre... fix up the spare room, I'll be there this weekend. Tell your cousins in Tennesee I'm on my way!

:D

34. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

hehe... we have a housefull right now, but we'll find you a spot on the floor!

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

wow! I feel like family! :p

got interview 2morrow and Monday... so if I don't get something by end of month, good to know I gotta place to stay!

36. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I honestly don't know that anyone would notice if someone else were staying here! Good luck with those interviews. I hope you get the one you want the most!

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

thanks!!...

How's everyone holding up??? Any aftershocks???

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2008

I felt a little aftershock not too long after the original one. Other than that, all's clear on the western front!

Thank God there aren't that many earthquakes here!