Earthquake days: the new snowday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mollydoll, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

We just had a 4.2 after shock. I didn't feel it on the ground floor, but I sure heard it. :dizzy:

Checked the county site and apparently my first day as a GED instructor is cancelled.

It is frustrating that the local news here is so fixated on DC and Richmond because it sounds like a lot of damage in Orange and Louisa counties. I talked to a friend whose parents live in Louisa and they are ok; hopefully it is just structural damage since many buildings are old, and there won't be injuries.

Has anyone ever had an earthquake day before?! I'm stunned. This stuff just doesn't happen in Virginia. :eek:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

That you're stunned is not even remotely surprising, molly: must be about as big a shocker as getting enough snow in Anaheim to close Disneyland.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Ya, I'm with TG. A 5.8 here is barely a reason to get out of bed!

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Magnitude only describes the force unleashed; Intensity is the real measure and is very dependent on local conditions. A 5.8 going through solid bedrock is much less of a deal than a 5.8 going through unconsolidated or easily liqufied sediments, a la Mexico City. You probably knew that already, but I don't usually oass up changes to lecture about geology. :lol: of course, all you Californians could give me a lecture or two on the topic!

The underlying geology here is pretty solid, so it comes down to construction, for the most part.

Still trying to find out what kind of damage was done to the schools, but if they are older ones, they probably weren't much up to rigorous EQ code.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

Saw on the news in Prince Georges County that 30-odd schools have damage, at least 12 structural. I have a feeling some students there will have an earthquake day. Our kids aren't in yet, so no luck for them. ;)

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

:eek:hmy: Actually, just saw that Prince Georges is closed. Wow.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Wow! Now that surprises me! Out here, not as much because it is a more rural district with older buildings.

I wish the local news wouldn't harp on DC and Richmond as much; it's as if everything in between is a gaping void.

Orange, Culpeper, F'burg, Spotsy seem to start quite early. Think everyone else is after labor day.

Do you suppose the counties have earthquake insurance? Most businesses and homes around here don't, and so many counties have been really pinched for funds.

9. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 23, 2011

A 5.8 here in California is nothing to get flustered about. However, all of our buildings are earthquake safe, so there would most likely be no damage besides picture frames falling off the wall. Something tells me that this isn't the case for back east. We once had 3 snow days for 2-4 inches of snow. Go figure... I think it would take a 7.0 at least to close Cali schools though.

10. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Hmmm, I think they closed school back in 94 after the Northridge Quake. Granted, it happened over MLK Jr holiday weekend but I thought schools were closed that Tuesday because of the quake.

11. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 23, 2011

You're right, they did. That was a 6.7 too.

12. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

And I feel sooooo old to be referencing an earthquake that happened 17 years ago!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Wow, was it really that long ago??

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

It was one for the record books. I guess this one will be too!

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

The DC local news had some correspondents in Culpeper...it's very sad to see the damage to those brick buildings in the old town area. Most of the area where I live was a plantation a long time ago, and there is an old, small stone building that was used for slave quarters that still stands. I pass it on my morning walk every day, and I'm hoping that tomorrow when I see it, it's okay.

Why do those counties start so early?

I refuse to believe that the Northridge Earthquake was 17 years ago. That would make me old.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

Um, I'm pretty sure I said I COULD see why molly was flustered, not that I COULDN'T...

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

I think we are just meandering, TG!

Tomorrow was supposed to have been first day of school in Culpeper. That seems almost cruel--all the anticipation gone to waste. Or maybe this just heightens the excitement for the wee ones.

18. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 24, 2011

It was 17 years ago....I was still in high school...you're only as old as you feel.

19. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

Oh, it was definitely 17 years ago. I remember very clearly because I was startled awake by the fierce shaking! And I was only 11 at the time.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

My sister in law lives in Valencia-- pretty close. The foundation of her house was damaged pretty badly.

I remember trying to get a hold of her, and the relief on Peter's face when we did.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2011

Must be the year of delaying the start of school--Louisville public schools had their first day (last week?) pushed back two days because of bad storms that knocked out phone service and power.