Earth science based science curriculum in CA

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ChiliPepper, Jul 3, 2020.

1. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 3, 2020

Hello California science teachers,

I was wondering if you can provide any info about the move towards Earth science based science curriculum. I am interested in teaching chemistry and was wondering how important it is to have an Earth science background, specifically an additional subject matter authorization in geoscience.

I have a preliminary credential in science: chem and am waiting for my results for the CSET in Earth and Space science.

Pisces likes this.
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 4, 2020

What move toward earth science-based curriculum? Can you supply a link, please?

According to https://www.cde.ca.gov/pd/ca/sc/ngssstandards.asp, California's version of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) is promoting as preferred an integrated science model organized around grade-specific Topics (CDE's capitalization, not mine) that can bring in any of the disciplines (life science, earth science, chemistry, physics) in any grade level. Our colleague @Geologygirl (guess what she'd been teaching, before her district went with the integrated model) was bidden to add one of the other three specializations on pain of losing her job - but one wasn't hearing from biology, chemistry, or physics teachers that they were being instructed to add earth science to their portfolios. So I suspect you're fine under that model, though it might be wise to see if the credential analysts at the local county office of education can shed some light for you.

4. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 5, 2020

Thank you. I checked and it looks like "districts and schools have the freedom and the responsibility to create a course sequence that meets their local needs."

•Four-Course Model: Each course focuses in depth on a different discipline of science: physics, chemistry, biology/life science, and Earth and space sciences.
    Three-Course Model: Earth and space sciences phenomena motivate in-depth study of other science disciplines. The three courses are titled to emphasize the synergy between disciplines: Physics of the Universe, Chemistry in the Earth System, and The Living Earth.
    •“Every Science, Every Year” Model: A three-year sequence that interweaves science domains in a developmentally appropriate progression. The framework describes this model in appendix 4, which provides general guidance rather than a detailed set of instructional segments. While the model is a promising opportunity, schools and districts will need to develop the details of this sequence drawing on locally relevant themes and phenomena.

Attached is a link to the executive summary of the science framework, page 29 for high school.
    https://www.scoe.net/castandards/Documents/summary_science_framework.pdf

However, the school districts in San Diego that I have been watching are transitioning to the "California Three Course Model," where Earth-Space Science and Engineering content is embedded within Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses. The three classes are - Biology: The Living Earth, Chemistry: In the Earth System, and Physics: In the Universe.

Wondering if any CA school districts have implemented (or will implement soon) the Three Course Model and if it has made any impact on teaching requirements.

5. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 7, 2020

@TeacherGroupie, Yes Good idea to ask at the county office!
    Some states such as California and Arizona have an NGSS approved energy and earth science theme to their curriculum, which ties in energy systems and earth science to Physics, Chem, and Bio. This was done to address teaching about climate change. It was also done to address the severe shortage of physics teachers because now with an earth science or science credential, "Physics of the Universe" (or sometimes called "Physics of the Earth") can be taught. It's a three course sequence as explained above. It's not so popular on the East Coast and more of a thing on the West Coast.
    (I've taught on both coasts.)

6. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 8, 2020

Hi Pisces. Just to be clear, are you saying that those with a science credential in geosciences can now teach bio, chem, and physics in the three-course model?

7. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 8, 2020

...without taking the additional CSET in bio, chem, and physics?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2020

That's precisely the question I'd put, if I were you, and in pretty much that form, to the credential analysts at SDCOE: it's pretty much their business to know and to keep districts in compliance.

9. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 8, 2020

I'm certain that you'd have to pass the CSET. But, I don't know the answer to your previous question since I'm not up to date with the current rules. I know there was a big overhaul in a couple of years ago in terms of rules for credentialing. Ask at your county office of education like TeacherGroupie suggested. (They know a lot more that what's posted on their sites too.)

10. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 8, 2020

But to answer your very first original question in the thread, are you familiar with the AMTA's Modeling Instruction pedagogy? They have resources and workshops for all of the sciences and I know that for chemistry, they tie in an energy storyline to keep in line with NGSS requirements. I think they also have earth science material too that you can draw from. The workshops (which are now virtual) can also help you with the content knowledge. Look into them if you're not familiar: www.modelinginstruction.org

11. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 8, 2020

I received a response from SDCOE. Thanks for the suggestion!

Those with any science credential (bio, chem, physics, and geosciences) can teach Integrated Science I, Integrated Science II... in districts using the Integrated model (mentioned above as the "Every Science, Every year" model).

Now with the Earth Science based curriculum, requirements are similar to the traditional four course model. In general, one will need a science credential in biology to teach Life on Earth, a science credential in chemistry to teach Chemistry in the Earth Systems, and a science credential in physics to teach Physics of the Universe. There are other paths as well. Unfortunately, those with a science credential in geosciences will have to get an additional authorization in bio, chem, or physics in order to teach one of the three courses. I think this is what TeacherGroupie was referring to wrt Geologygirl.

Pisces likes this.
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2020

Feeling better now, ChiliPepper?

13. ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper Rookie

Jul 10, 2020

Yes, thank you. But anxious about the Earth and Space Science CSET results - two weeks seem soooo far away.

And thank you Pisces for the AMTA info.

Pisces likes this.
  14. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 25, 2020

The AMTA workshops are the best professional development workshops I've ever attended. Since covid they're now virtual so you don't have to travel and stay on another state or far away city for 2 or 3 weeks. Totally worth it!