Earth Hour

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

Anyone else sitting in the dark tonight?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

This is the first I've heard of it!! I've GOT to watch more TV!! I just googled it to find out what you were talking about.

But, no, I'm not turning out the lights. (It's 9:14 here now.)

Peter's working and I'm home with the kids. They would die of fright if I made them sit in the dark-- if they didn't annoy each other to death first.

Next year, I'll make an effort to be more aware of it, and join in if possible.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

Yes, I'm here in the dark! My computer is on battery power. I missed the first year, but have participated for the last few. I wish it got more publicity- I DO watch tv, and read the newspaper every day, and check the yahoo headlines, and I have barely heard about it. It's such an easy thing to do- we were without power all night a few weeks ago with our storm, what's one hour??

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

We aren't completely in the dark--the TV is on (gotta love March Madness), but all of the lights in the house are out and the laptop is on battery. Looking out the back window, there are few lights other than streetlights and the lights on the walking path behind us to be seen. Participation is fairly extensive here in southern Ontario; many of the stores and coffee shops that are open operate on reduced power during the hour.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2010

My Yahoo homepage was reminding me yesterday and all day today so it was easy to remember around here. We don't do much T.V. these days. The lights are still off in much of the house. We have candles lit and it's a wonderful atmosphere. My block and the ones to the east and west seem to be participating too. We used our laptops on battery power too. Mine was accidentally plugged in for a few minutes into 8:30 but my younger daughter quickly pointed it out. It felt good to do our part.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

I had no clue about it. I usually sit the dark anyhow.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2010

Shoot--I meant to, but completely forgot! I've been getting my days mixed up all week...

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

My kids and I tend to have few lights on most of the time; my husband turns on, and leaves on, every light in his path--going upstairs to the washroom, he'll put on the light in the main floor hall, the light on the stairs, the light in the upstairs hall, the light in the master bedroom and the light in the bathroom. :dizzy: We've lived in this house for almost 18 years; I'm not sure why he can't find his way upstairs yet!

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I turned out the lights and then went to sleep.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Probably for the same reason my husband doesn't know where we keep things. We've been in this house since 1991--you would think that, by now, he would learn where the baggies or whatever are kept!:rolleyes:

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Our student council was promoting earth hour, kids signed pledges to turn off lights. Didn't turn the lights off here- March madness and all...guess we could have watched it in the dark, though. Truthfully, my lights are off from 8-5 EVERY day in my home, I use energy saving bulbs and appliances, recycle, compost- so we are doing our part here. I know the whole earth hour thing is about 'sending a message'...but maybe those who are 'decision makers' should consider their own carbon footprints...

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

Alice, we (husbands) are basically helpless.... and can't make it without loving, nurturing spouses.......:lol::lol::D

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

Our power was off for about six hours or so last night, so we participated whether we wanted to or not.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Sounds familiar...(even down to the year we moved in).