Earth Day

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Emma35, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

Does anyone have any good Earth Day activities they would like to share?

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 6, 2008

I posted on another Earth Day thread my idea. Actually it's not my idea, I found it online! Get a variety of "trash" (I got clean trash), for the students to choose from and create "litter bugs". We put them in the library with a sign that said, "Don't be a Litter Bug!!"

Our library is packed full with fourth grade's awesome space projects... so maybe I'll have my kids make their own signs and take them home.

PS: When is Earth Day??

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

Cute idea!

April 22nd.

5. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

Aaaa...I seriously thought that was a bug on my computer. I went and touched it and realized it was your avatar.....Awsome!:lol:

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2008

I think we just colored a picture of Earth and then we talked about different things we could recycle, reduce or reuse.

It would be interesting to do a graph of those who actively recycle in their homes. Maybe graph what they recycle plastic, newpaper, glass, alum.

Maybe brainstorm what they think Earth Day is about!!!

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 6, 2008

yeah Emma your avatar reminds me of this commercial that was for bug spray... but it started out as this laundry detergent commercial or something. This huge bug was crawling on the screen and jumped off and I FREAKED out!! I didn't find out until a month or so later that it was part of the commercial.

Sorry, off topic.

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2008

I found this avatar on another forum I belong to and it drove me nuts so I just had to use it here!

9. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 8, 2008

For earth day you could talk about reduce, reuse and recycle. Then you could ask them how this would protect our earth and keep it safe. Then have them trace their hands and cut them out. On their hands have them write a way they think they can keep the earth safe. (They will probably use the ideas you talk about) as they finish give them a small earth to color and take their picture. You can turn this into a bb. You will put their picture on their earth and you will use a bigger earth in the center with their hands around it. The title will be Earth It's in Our Hands. I did this lesson already and I have a picture of my bb if you want to see it just pm me your email address.

10. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

We did an awesome project this year. I asked my local grocery store for brown bags to borrow, decorate and return to the store to be distributed on Earth Day. They turned out great. You can search for the earth day grocery bag project for more info. The students put illustrations and ecological reminders on the bags.

11. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

Does anyone know any good books related to Earth Day?

12. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 9, 2008

The Garbage Monster by Joni Sensel, it's a book about recycling.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2008

Isn't there one by Chris VanAllsburg the Dream or something about littering?

14. kem

kem Companion

Apr 9, 2008

If you go on Amazon and type in Earth Day books, there are some really good ones, especially for young children. Our favorite is "I Love the Earth." I think that it is the title...Bill Martin Jr. is the author. Although it doens't talk about Earth Day specifically, there are real pictures that are beautiful, and very simple text. It was a perfect way to start talking about ED and appreciating the Earth.

15. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

My kids love Little Critter. This year we will read "It's Earth Day!" by Mercer Mayer. It's a cute story.