Earth Day Irony

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Apr 18, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 18, 2010

Has anyone else noticed the amount of paper, etc. being used to remind us of Earth Day. I just came from Target where they signs all over the place advertising the free bag they were distributing, pads of paper saying "Save the Earth", plastic bottles in what to me seemed like an exorbitant amount of packaging. I think it's great people are becoming aware, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 18, 2010

:rofl:

I've thought this a few times in years past.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

Last year, our school sent home packets about Earth Day. One tip was about saving paper. I thought it was hilarious that these packets were ran 1 sided rather than 2 sided which would have saved paper! Duh!

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 18, 2010

Yep...there was a thing in my paper to mail in five plastic bags, at no cost to myself, so that I could receive a $1 coupon towards a recycleable bag of more the $1.49...really?? You don't think that the fuel used to deliver my bags and receive my coupon is somehow outwaying my $1 towards this new bag??

6. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

Not if it was big enough to be used for grocery shopping

7. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

On the plus side, apparently the propaganda is making you aware of the issue, and hopefully you apply your knowledge better than the people who made the packets. In the long run, that will save a lot more paper than just getting one set of packets right- or not sending them at all.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2010

I was thinking about this the other day when I was looking for something to do on Earth day!!! Umm... I think will try to use alternatives.

9. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 24, 2010

I happened to notice the art projects for earth day in the hall yesterday - every single one made from new materials. And the art room is well stocked with "recycables" to make projects too so it wasn't a lack of things to recycle that resulted in all new-material projects