Earning a Prize each Month

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lpbytp, Sep 5, 2011.

1. lpbytp

lpbytp Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

As a new teacher, I am looking for some opinions from those with more experience with Kindergarteners. I came up with a positive reinforcement reward system that I think should work well, but can you tell me what you think?

Print a copy of the calendar for the month for each child. I would start this in October, since they will know the rules well enough by then. Tell them, “You can earn up to 2 stamps every day, for being a Super Student. If I have to remind you of the rules too many times, you will lose a stamp that day, and if you are really misbehaving or being unkind, you will lose both stamps. So let’s make sure we are all being Super Students every day!” (In reality, you would never take away both stamps, as that could really make them feel like they “failed.” You would always give at least one stamp per day on the calendar.) Tell them that if they don’t have ANY blank days on their calendar at the end of the month (and none of them will), they can pick a special prize. (So really, everyone will get a prize each month, but they will have to have "earned it.")
    The prizes will just be small Dollar Store type items, but I will try to have a good variety.

Thanks in advance!

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

This is just my opinion, but I would rather do a group reward,where they all work as a class for one reward. Right now we are working for extra minutes of play time. Other prizes could be a movie, popcorn party, ice cream, pizza, and so on. The prizes would get bigger as we go. You will find they will start helping their friends with their behavior so they can all get the prize.

I do have a calendar that I send home which tells what kind of day they had, but I don't use it to reward them. I always found it was the same ones getting the prize and you will find some don't care for that kind of reward, plus it can cost alot of money after awhile.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 5, 2011

My daughter's class is working on a popcorn party. If they have a day that no one pulls a card, they earn a letter in POPCORN. Right now after 3 weeks of school, they are only on the first O. LOL There are some doozies in there.

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 5, 2011

We are not allowed to reward with food... You might want to check your wellness/nutrition policy before you start! :) JMO, I believe children should behave because it is what is expected...not for a reward. I use natural consequences and it has worked well for me! I would try to implement something that doesn't work you to death! Stamping everyday?! Do you have time to do this? I barely have time to go to the bathroom! lol :) Best of luck to you!:)

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 5, 2011

I have to agree with the others and would add that I think they'd figure it out after a couple of months that everyone is getting a prize. Are they really earning it if everyone gets one? What happens with the kid who already lost a stamp and starts acting up again?

7. lpbytp

lpbytp Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone, for the advice! I needed some honest opinions! I do agree that stamping every day would be way too much work--it's clear that I have not done this before LOL. Also, yes it would definitely send the wrong message if one child was continuously acting up but still got a stamp every day. I think I will see what kind of students will be in the class, and will try to use natural consequences for misbehavior.

Thanks again!