Earned a BA in Middle School Math and want to earn a Masters in Elementary Ed.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tnteacher2, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Oct 18, 2019

Hi Everyone!

I graduated last winter with a BA in Middle School Math with a 6-8 licensure in the state of TN. I have subbed at a number of schools in my area but have found my favorite grades are 3-5. After the fact, I found that I am more passionate about these grades then middle school. Two questions.

1. Can I take the Elementary Education Praxis tests and be certified to teach Elementary or do I have to go back to school?

2. If I go back to school should I head for a Masters degree or a post-baccalaureate?

3. As I have just graduated and am still running tight, would anyone know the most affordable and efficient choice ? I would like to finish before the 2020-2021 school year.

Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 19, 2019

Judging from https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/licensure/lic_adding_endorsements_quick_facts.pdf, you'd be allowed to teach fifth-grade math on the strength of your middle-school math license alone, so you might start out by looking for jobs like that. But I'm not surprised to find that passing exams alone won't suffice for you to add an elementary-education endorsement: a good middle-school-math program is unlikely to spend much time on either reading instruction or the psychology of younger children.

At this point, you could contact the Tennessee department of education's licensure office, https://www.tn.gov/education/licensing.html, to find out what your options are. You could also try the school from which you graduated: there might be a way to pick up just the coursework you need. If you've got a good reputation as a sub in elementary school, you might even mention your aspiration to the principal, who might be able to refer to you someone in the district's HR department who can help.