Early symptoms and signs of dyscalculia?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 17, 2017

I'm struggling to find a good resource on the internet. I have two girls. The past few weeks, I told myself they had forgotten over the summer, they'll catch up if you review stuff with them enough. After speaking to former teachers who are also worried they're still behind, I'm getting concerned. They can't do basic arithmetic (2 + 2), struggle to use manipulatives to solve, and putting numbers in order is beyond them. This is 2nd grade.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2017

Do they have average intelligence, or are they "low" in all areas (academic, social development, common sense, etc.)? If they are low all around, then it probably isn't dyscalculia. Rather, they are probably just low achievers in need of more support than their average peer. The struggle to use manipulatives makes me think that this is more the case. If it was truly a discalculia - assuming they've been taught how to use manipulatives - then they should be successful with the manipulatives. The fact that they can't solve problems even when using the manipulatives makes me think that they are probably low performers who are going to need more scaffolding and small group support than their peers. Have they had any math interventions? Does your school offer math intervention services?

Upsadaisy and Backroads like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 17, 2017

They're both social and great readers.

No proper math intervention services.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

The large question is what resources are available and how to navigate toward them. I'd be less focused on signs of a particular label/disability as there aren't specific interventions that become effective exclusively for kids with, say, dyscalculia. This is great news, as it means that if there is struggle, then there are strategies. You don't need to wait for a diagnosis. Of course, if there are certain resources only available for kids with particular labels, then it may be helpful to pursue.

The more specific answer is that dyscalculia doesn't refer to a particular set of cognitive challenges or skill deficits, so there aren't red flags necessarily, just like with dyslexia. The struggle is real, regardless of whether it is called something. So, if there's a problem I'd address it.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

True, but a lady in our school got in trouble last year for not recognizing dyscalculia. So, I'm trying to be on the look-out for it.

For these kids, they're very behind in math regardless. The usual kindergarten/first grade strategies haven't worked and still aren't working.

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 18, 2017

I can't imagine a general ed teacher would get in trouble for not identifying specific disabilies in the classroom, though I definitely think a teacher has a responsibiltiy to report difficulties that aren't remediated by typical strategies, regardless of whether there is a suspected underlying disability. Definitely sounds like these two have pretty significant issues if they can't do 2+2 or order single digit numbers, and certainly seems to point to something deeper than simply a basic, acute skill deficit.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 21, 2017

Backroads likes this.