Early Intervention Itinerant Teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teach123, Aug 9, 2007.

1. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

Is anyone an Early Intervention Itinernat Teacher? I accepted a LTS postion with the Intermediate Unit in our area. I don't have ANY background in Special Ed. and have absolutely no clue what I am doing? I don't even know all of the Special Ed. jargon. Do any of you have any strategies you use to work with these special kids?

3. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Aug 11, 2007

Hi,

I would be glad to help:) I am going into my third year of teacher preschool special ed and have two years prior experience in early intervention. I guess the first thing you should know is that your main goal with these kids is to teach them through PLAY. With that said, prepare yourself to be on the floor, playing, getting messy, etc. These children need to experience everything typical toddlers do, just with a little more assistance.

The other thing I would say is that working with these kiddos should be done with their own stuff or stuff you are willing to let them keep between sessions. They cannot practice skills if they don't have the materials at home:) Believe me, paper towels, pots and pans, plastic cups, etc. can all become awesome learning toys if you get into a house with no toys (we had several of them in my experience).

What specific questions do you have? Do you have your caseload and IEP information yet? If so, what are some of the goals you will be working on with these kids? You can reply back here or you can private message me and I will be glad to give you more ideas.

I LOVE this age and you will too once you get in there!

4. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 11, 2007

Hi Tchecse,

I too have accepted a PPCD (pre-school) position just this last Wed. I will have 3 -4 year old Spec. Ed. students. I am a 1st year teacher and a career changer. I am nervous but excited. Any feedback that you have would be wonderful. I have not seen my classroom yet, nor know how many students/IEP's. My first day is Aug. 20th and 1st day of school is Aug. 27th. Today I went with a friend to a teacher's workshop and made a Welcome sign, my name poster ( I used my last name, should I have used my first name?), I made sun flowers in pots and inside I would like to put their pictures. I made numbers, alphabet letters, bear posters ( I want my theme to be reading is beary fun). Any suggestions? I am all ears:) . I would love to hear suggestions on lesson strategies, books, music, etc.
    Thanks-Dina:thanks:

5. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Aug 12, 2007

Hi Dina,

I tried to send you a bunch of info, but I get cut off after 400 charectors. Can you private message me an email address so I can send you attachments of my theme calendar, student information sheets, and a sample schedule too. Also, I can send you some of my favorite lessons and activities/recipes if you want them.

6. ready2teachintx

Aug 12, 2007

yes, thank:)

7. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Do you have to be special ed to teach PPCD? I'm nervous because I have an interview for a PPCD position but I'm not special ed. Thank you.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

Thanks for your help. I was a preschool director and teacher for almost 10 years before I got some LTS posititons. I loved it then, but I am not looking forward to working with preschoolers again. I really wanted to teach in a public school. Most of the kids I had in preschool didn't have special needs. Right now we have a break, so I won't have my IEP stuff until next week. It has been so long since I worked with them that I forget what kids are supposed to do at what age when they are preschoolers.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

For the past two years I've taught half day early childhood sped (preschool) for 3-6 year olds. In the state of Iowa you have to be endorsed in this area to teach it. I'm currently working on that, because I graduated with just elementary and special education with reading endorsement.

I'm now teaching a full day inclusion program. I still my endorsement, because I'm in charge of the up keep of the IEPs and etc.

For anyone that is new to sped, I would start reading your IEPs. I have seen a couple of mine, but they weren't a 100% done on paper. Tomorrow I'm suppose to get my password and then I'll be able to see the rest online. In Iowa we do all of our IEPs on the internet. Try to be familiar with all your students goals. Find a way to easily document your goals too. I do mine in a word table and then I write on it daily or weekly depending on the goal. This year I have to do High/Scope as my assessment piece for the gen/sped students. I now have to figure out another way to document. It's never ending!!! :)

10. ready2teachintx

Aug 14, 2007

Thanks for the tip Mrs. Barrett! I went today and saw my classroom. It is really nice...in shambles still, but very roomy and nice. I will not get to look at IEPs until next week. I am anxious to get a look at them so I can begin researching and brainstormins.

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

Ready~HOpefully your room will come along soon. I'm still in the process of rearranging things and throwing old junk out that I won't use. I just wish the janitors at my school will remove my boxes of junk and all the unwanted furniture out of the room soon. :p

12. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Hi,

I totally get that, because it is hard to remember the "norm" when you are constantly around kiddos that are delayed. Depending on their age and delays/disabilities, they may or may not be working at a preschool level. Once you get your IEPs/Goals, if you give me the basics I will brainstorm with you about ideas for natural environment type activities. While I know that public school positions definately have their advantages, it is kinda cool that the community can be your classroom:) Are most of your kids at daycares or at home with parents?